Who needs the Head Gasket DVD when you have. . . . (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
Adventure off road do the work.:bounce:

When I was changing the starter contacts I noticed my PHH was in bad shape. Robbie had previously said he saw signs the Head Gasket was going, I also had been wanting to change out the Fuel Injectors. It was running OK, but I wanted to get it in great shape. So I took it to Adventure Off Road and had the following work done:

Head gasket setreplaced, New Spark plugs, Distributor cap and rotor replaced, Spark plug wires replaced, fuel filter replaced, EGR gasket replaced, Distributor O-ring replaced, Water pipe gasket replaced, Fan Clutch replaced, Thermostat and O-ring replaced, Throttle body cleaned out and the PHH replaced.

When the head came off I was told there was tremendous buildup of carbon, more than normal for my engine. The pictures below show the before and after shots.

The head was also slightly warped and the valves needed to be resealed. The head was milled .011. It was running pretty good for all that crap. Must have been the computer compensateing. It runs great now.

The PO must have run cheap oil and did not change the oil when they should have. They probably ran cheap gas as well.

Great service and I would highly recommend Adventure Off Road. You probaby know it by another name, Robbie.

Like I said, who needs the Head Gasket DVD when you have Robbie.
engine6.jpg
engine12.jpg

Last edited:
The only remaing problem is Robbie said the carbon build up behind the rings. allowied the rings to push a little more into the cylinder wall, creating a little ring groove. Don't know if you can see it in the photo.

The engine will still run fine for quite sometime and I should be able to get well over 200,000 miles on it. Currently at 114,000 miles. I run Red Line synthetic so that good oil should help and the grooves hopefully won't be a problem.

Was wondering if I should run Seafoam or AutoRx in the oil to help get rid of any remaining carbon.

Thoughts?
engine8.jpg

AutoRx is good stuff for getting carbon out of the ring packs. Many users have found significant improvements in compression after running ARx. This can translate into improved fuel economy also. Check out Bobistheoilguy.com - ARx has its own thread. I'd say 80%+ of users are satisfied that the product is money well spent (just my guess based on following the product - and I use it myself).

The esters in ARx will liquify sludge, carbon and varnish and deposit it into your filter. Just be sure to follow the directions and don't second guess.

Romer said:
Great service and I would highly recommend Adventure Off Road. You probaby know it by another name, Robbie.

Robbie started his own shop? When did that happen? I imagine it's in CO as we on the east coast aren't lucky enough to have many good shops. :frown:

Robbie is a great guy - I'm sure he'll do well and I wish him all the best. :cheers:

Whats a headgasket and mill job on the head run, if you dont mind me asking?

Montana Cruiser said:
Whats a headgasket and mill job on the head run, if you dont mind me asking?

This was the cost from the Machine shop:

Cylinder head cleaned, valves buffed, new valve seal installed. Head milled 0.011 Head was lightly warped 252.50

If everything else is OK, you could have the head milled for about $100.

I got the headgasket "set" from CDAN. I think it was less than $200.

Edit: it is a flat rate of 15 hours. Robbie corrected me below

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that you had to open her up. I can't think of a better person to perform the work though. :)

I'd consider making the drive out there to have it done right the first time.

Romer said:
This was the cost from the Machine shop:

Cylinder head cleaned, valves buffed, new valve seal installed. Head milled 0.011 Head was lightly warped 252.50

If everything else is OK, you could have the head milled for about $100.

I got the headgasket "set" from CDAN. I think it was less than $200.

10 hours of labor was what I was told a headgasket job takes. Mine was more becuase I had other things done (see above) and it came to about 15 hours.

Not quite as bad as I would have thought, and you know you got quality work.

:cheers:

How did Robbie get it so clean? That engine block looks really great with the carbon cleaned off. 10 hours of shop time is not as bad as I thought.

Robbie has forgotten more about the 1FZ than probably any other mechanic/technicion in the US knows...

It is a safe bet that he has serviced/repaired/overhauled more of them than the next 20 or so combined.

In addition he is a gentleman and a damn fine friend.

There is only ONE person I would "sublet" ANY work on my 80 to and that is Robbie....

Junk said:
Robbie started his own shop? When did that happen? I imagine it's in CO as we on the east coast aren't lucky enough to have many good shops. :frown:

Robbie is a great guy - I'm sure he'll do well and I wish him all the best. :cheers:

Where the heck have you been???

Busy with your sock collection???

Congrats Romer you guys in CO don't know how lucky you are to have an asset such as Robbie so close by and available for truly technical work on your trucks.

Andrew I use a combination of scraper, and scotchbrite pads on a air grinder, with some hand work inbetween. The one mistake Ken stated is the job is a flatrate of 15 hrs. He had some extra time involved with the wiring and fan hub, injectors, thermo stat. A little extra work, but it is the way I think it needs to be when you pull the head off. I learned head jobs on big diesels and in those days you used sand paper and wire brushes and used cylinder plugs to keep the sand out of the engine.Oil is also used to clean the cylinder walls and any depree from the cylinder walls before the head goes back on.
Thanks for the kind comments from you all. later robbie

reffug said:
Where the heck have you been???

Busy with your sock collection???

Congrats Romer you guys in CO don't know how lucky you are to have an asset such as Robbie so close by and available for truly technical work on your trucks.

And he is one hell of a skier too! ;) Robbie is the only one besides myself that I would let mess with my stuff!

lowtideride said:

Oh yeah, instead of cleaning it up and milling the head to make it perform better, lets put a slower engine in it. Bwaaahaaaaaaaaa. Sounds like 1FZ envy to me.

I would also venture to guess there is many 3fe's out in the country that have a middle of the gasket leak under the intake/exhaust manifold. I have also done a few of these. the 3fe leak is more little bubbles that can be seen with out a real loss of perfromance(like their is any except in low range LOL real hard). So 3fe owners take a gander some time in this area and see what you can see. The 3fe will also come alive if the head is milled (also want to take care of the plug that is in the oil passage) if the head is out. But yes I have seen more of the 1fz HG failures. later robbie

cool

Looks like I will be next in line for some HG work from Robbie. The SC adds some hours, more like 20-23 hours. I will probably replace the radiator also. Just have to find the right time to drive ALL the way out there Maybe 20 miles. :) Sorry guys who don't live in CO, I feel very lucky that Robbie will be able to work on my rig. :D

T

Romer said:
Oh yeah, instead of cleaning it up and milling the head to make it perform better, lets put a slower engine in it. Bwaaahaaaaaaaaa. Sounds like 1FZ envy to me.

Nope not really at all when, PM includes replacing a HG i really dont want it under the hood. I like slower a reliable. I just joking with you nutty 80 owners.

Romer,
Can you give some info on how to contact Adventure off road?
Phone#, website, address, etc.
Thanks in advance

Area51 said:
Romer,
Can you give some info on how to contact Adventure off road?
Phone#, website, address, etc.
Thanks in advance

PM Powderpig - He is Adventure Off Road. I'd rather not post a phone number in a public forum. He has posted above, so you can click on his name and take it from there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom