You guys are not going to believe this. Blew another head gasket today! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is almost beyond belief for me and I want you to know up front I am not pulling your leg(s) on this. About an hour ago, my pristine bought-it-new Mobil 1 since new, fully synthetic everything anally maintained cooling system, positively never even heat stressed, much beloved '93 blew her head gasket!

I don't know if the two of them have been talking in the garage and Bessie was jealous of the attention Lucy got last month with her head gasket, or what. Ironically, I got the last of the 2nd wave of the head gasket DVDs in the mail this very morning, ran some errands and a few hours later the heat briefly went cool, then back to normal as I pulled onto the freeway to come home from Spokane Valley. Maybe 8 seconds. Watched the temp needle for several minutes and it moved a half needle up then back down over a period of 30 seconds. Kept driving watching the guages and all was normal. About 5 minutes later I couldn't handle the suspense and pulled off on the next exit mindful to keep it in neutral and keep the revs around 1500 (exiting freeways is when thermal shocks occur as RPM drops from 2500 to 600). Got it stopped and let the idle drop to 600 and it was *slightly* rough.

Flashers on. Jumped out and lifted the hood to see the overflow bottle overfull and bubbling away. Shut it down and immediately elected to grab a rag and pop the rad cap because if my suspicion of a HG was true then as soon as the pistons stop the pressurized cooling system will start shoving water into the cylinder(s). Not a lot of pressure or boilover occurred. Quick sniff on the open rad (NEVER do this - ever - on a hot radiator) gave me a noseful of combustion gases and fuel. Radiator full. Checked oil, tranny fluid, PS fluid - all normal.

Started her up and motored on home with the flashers on at 45 both heaters at full blast and windows cracked (21 degrees out). No accelerations, kept high idle at stoplights and eased her into her parking spot in the garage. Immediate shut down, chinese fire drill to again pop radiator cap. Everything's full and fine. I think I literally 'felt' the head gasket go and she's cooling in the garage. I'm going to pull the sparkplugs to confirm (should find one or more stripped clean from steam) and order Cdan's head gasket kit Monday.

Can you believe it? I can honestly say I'm not upset. Feeling kind of bemused, actually. I have done what needs to be done now twice just 30 days ago, have all the tools, heck, some of the new tools are still sitting on the bench 'til I find a home for them!

Tuesday I'm gone to Florida with my wife and kids for two weeks and I just know every once in a while I'm going to be sitting by the pool with a drink in one hand and laugh to myself about this one...

Which reminds me. I placed a call to Cdan already and he called me back later. After hearing the story, and WITHOUT me saying a word about my earlier accusation that he's using voodoo he tells me he may have forgotten to pull the knitting needle out of my particular voodoo doll. Which pretty much explains why I had to take the head off twice on the other one. So please, Dan - I'm beggin' ya publicly here - take the freakin' needle out!!!

DougM

Wow

:eek:

It is officially safe to say that you will be the headgasket 'expert' when you
complete this one!

:beer: for poolside in Florida

No freakin' way! :frown:

well, it goes without saying that it really sucks. sorry to hear about Bessie.

Unbelievable! Just goes to show no one is immune from Cdan's voodoo, no matter how much maintenance you do or how many parts you buy from him! :doh:

Tick.... tick.... tick...... tick.......

Sorry to hear about the HG Doug. I am giving some serious consideration on doing mine as PM like Rick did. 157,000 miles on the original.

-B-

:frown: I pulled it out Douglas.....:frown:

Hmm,

Where to "store" it now?.....:hillbilly

Gotta tutone silver-looking doll around here someplace......where is that thing?

Sorry to hear about that Doug. Makes me glad I had mine done a few weeks ago.

No frickin way! This goes to show us that anal maintenance may not make as much difference as we think. Or maybe you stress your engine more than the rest of us.

I'm getting ready for a 10-day 2000+ mile road-trip and I'm a little nervous now. Mine overheated over the summer and I had to put in a new radiator. My wife has been telling me to take the minivan, but I keep telling her that the TLC is ready to go.

I'm still in shock over the news. How many miles have you put on her?

cruiserdan said:
:frown: I pulled it out Douglas.....:frown:

Hmm,

Where to "store" it now?.....:hillbilly
Gotta tutone silver-looking doll around here someplace......where is that thing?

Dan . . . . .Have I told you recently how much I appreciate our friendship:D

Can't believe lightning struck twice! I quietly watched your last HG thread and appreciated the detailed account. Are you thinking of changing your name to HeadGasketDoug?

Romer said:
Dan . . . . .Have I told you recently how much I appreciate our friendship:D

Yer in the clear.......;)

I have to honestly say I expected it. You wife does a lot of short trips which aggrivates the situation. I even think I mentioned to you just to do it during your last episode because you were in that mode with everything out and at the ready. The good thing is once it's done you'll be in fine shape. Now for disk II with the pair vavle proceedure.

BTW: I hope I was mentioned in the original disk's credits, I'd hate to have to lawyer up on your ass.

Running a bit low on the plain blue-grey dolls at the moment.

You know what's going to happen, don't you?

I will likely fall on my own sword........:rolleyes:

Bummer doug, being your thier round at this it will definatly go much quicker.

Beowulf said:
Tick.... tick.... tick...... tick.......

Sorry to hear about the HG Doug. I am giving some serious consideration on doing mine as PM like Rick did. 157,000 miles on the original.

-B-

same here, at a later date a blown HG will be more of a harship for me, 80 down time, $, and time to do the work are hurdles, curently trying to work up a second vehicle so I can get some down time for the 80, tryign to decide on scope right now, might do the injectors and possibly some polishing and valve job wile I am there. if time and money do not allow will be just R&R.

Saw a bad 1FZ HG in person recently, the stainless ring at the back of #6 just does not have enough support from the gasket due to the closeness of the water ports. definatly a ticking time bomb. :frown:

Bummer Doug. How many miles are on this one?

Dave

If we ever hook up to go wheeling, I'm going to make you wear gloves if you ever touch my cruiser. Bad juju.

Are you going to have the head checked this time before you do all the R/R work, or are you going for the record of First to Four Head Gaskets?

Good luck ~ hopefully this one goes easier than the last. Maybe you can film some extra scenes and bloopers for the special features disk of your upcoming 2-disc Director's Cut of the DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom