Head Gasket issues more common on one year than another? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Head Gasket issues more common on one year than another?

Saw some mention of ‘97s having more HG issues? Is this the case, or just misc. ramblings? I was focusing on ’97 being the last year, but.. Any thoughts? Thanx..

I believe it was robbie who theorized that there were more HG failures in the 96-97 models because of the aluminum radiator and OBD-II compliance. Do a search for specifics in his post.

I don't think that would be a reason to avoid those years. From the postings on this board it seems that the HGs are going out randomly, no matter what the year.

Yup tend to agree with concrete, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason that I have noticed except maybe bad luck. Most important thing to look at IMHO is the prior owners commitment to preventive maintenance and even then as soon as a rig is obtained I would be changing every fluid in the truck so that I had my own baseline to be working from. Just 02

Or look for mixed antifreeze? But it doesn't seem that 93-94s are effected and I know of no headgasket issues on the old 3FEs (but I still think they suck, and I can say this because I have one).

ginericfj80 said:
But it doesn't seem that 93-94s are effected and I know of no headgasket issues on the old 3FEs (but I still think they suck, and I can say this because I have one).

Glad somebody who owns one said that and not me ......................... :D

1FZ-1E BABY!

For those of you that don't want to search:

- About the 3fes, not so fast:
In Cruisiticus 12:54, robbie sayeth, "Out of maybe 20 3fe we have seen at the shop, maybe a 12 have had signs of leakage out the side between the head and block. Usually it is under the intake and exhaust manifold hard to see. Some even had the dreaded tiny bubbles in the overflow tank, but did not show overheating. So Knock on wood that you do not have a problem."

- As for which model years of the 1FZ are affected:
In Cruisiticus 18:22, robbie sayeth, "No range of serial numbers. All 93-97 have the potiential for this problem. There is loads of infromation that has been discussed in the past on this subject. I personally have done more head gasket replacements on 95-97. So do I see 97 as a more prone year, no more than the other years of 95 and 96. The problem more than likely is set up by the cooling system maintance. I usually see more compression leaks leading to overheating then I see total failures. I see the 93-94 leaking externally more than the 95-97 model years. usually the 93-94 have more miles."

planning ahead

I want to have a plan in place for when my head gasket goes one day. I don't want to be scrambling around at the last minute. Here's my options as I see them:

1) Take it to my dealer that doesn't really know the 80 series very well. The master mech works on a few 80s but I don't know if he's done a HG on the I6 yet. I'm sure they have done a lot of other HGs however. Is the HG job on the 80 very different from say a V6 in a 4runner or pickup? Point being does it really matter if he's worked on the I6 HG before or not.

2) Take it to my independent mechanic. A guy I trust, not as expensive as the dealer. He did my Camry HG at 180K miles. Did a good job.

3) Do it myself. Is this something I could consider doing myself assuming I had the time? which is a big assumption. It's probably beyond my skills but if I went slow and with the help of the guys here I might be able to do this but perhaps best left to a pro.

4) ship the truck to Robbie or move to CO. Too bad this isn't really an option.

What do you guys think, is this job straight forward enough for a good mechanic that's never done an I6 HG before or are there little tidbits of knowledge required (like the birfs).

Riley

<hijack> best4x4xever, ur avatar looks like a d90, poor thing. </hijack>

I have a '97 40th Anniversary with 141k miles w/o a single head gasket problem (knock on wood).

I'm not sure how you would rate my skills as a mechanic but I didn't find it that hard to do. It is a lengthy process but not technically difficult.

I planned for it last year and just did it, the gasket had signs of eventually failing even though it had not overheated.

Cruiser Newb - I'm really sorry you just said that. Plan for the worse and hope for the best.

Rick - how many hours in total would you think? 20 hours? I work slow and carefull.
what's the hardest part? Timing chain?

Rick,

If you ever had the time, a supplemental procedure to use along side the FSM (similar to to the birf write-ups) would be very helpful for those that have to do this at some point. Seems like a lot of the stuff in the FSM procedure may not be necessary when doing the HG replacement.

:beer:
Rookie2

I didn't machine the head as it was a simple R&R of the gasket but I did more than just the head on the motor as I damaged a chain guide and that opened up a huge can of worms as far as time needing to repair that one. To just R&R the HG figure 3 days at a leasurely pace if you haven't done it before. If I had to do it again I could do it in 12 hours I think and then add any time for head machining and the addition of setting up the valves which I didn't do.

I did chuckle to myself when I see the head gasket probs with the 1FZ's I decided to get shot of my toyota surf cos of the head problems and went for the land cruiser because I was under the impression it was bullit prof, I just spent £1000 on changing my head on the surf, bet ya life the head gasket goes on the L/C 4.5 doh

I do not really think it is bad luck that is involved. The only differences between the 93-94 and the 95-97 model years (concerning the engine systems) are the OBDII and the Aluminum radiators. In the last 4 years(yes that long) I have been working on the 80 series I have work on or look at several hundred cruisers. Most show some signs of extrenal leakage, a good percentage have little bubbles in the coolant overflow tank, crud in the bottom of the overflow tank. Most of these symptoms are more present in the 95-97. I personally have changed more head gaskets on the 95-97 model years. Is this a reason to not buy the truck, no. I would buy a 97 if the wife want a newer crusier some day or a 100 series. If I got a 97 I would jsut do the head gasket and mill the head right away, get it done and over with.
So if it is not the OBDII and Aluminum radiator, maybe toyota had a bad set of head gasket in those model years. I can only comment on what I see and think happens and the differences between the model years. I personally will not use the toyota red any more in my engines, may be this is the problem. When I had two cruisers i rebuilt both engines in the space of 4 months. I used red coolant in one and green in the other after fully flushing both systems. the one engine witht he red started droping the crude that I see with in a year, the one with the green still has not droped crud. Both trucks are a 93/94 years, both have 3 row radiators, both non OBDII. But both having higher compression, and heat. I hot tank the engine with the red stuff in it where the green one had the block only cleaned. So maybe the coolant is the answer, maybe not.
so make of it what you will, good luck, the job pay about 15 hours in a shop, do not mix up the valve adjusting shims, mill the head if there is pitting in the surface, do a cylinder leak down test first to see if you need the valves worked on or not. Be prepared for anything. later robbie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom