Head Gasket shot. Committed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

$70 a day. If you rent on on Saturday you get to keep till monday as they are closed on Sunday. Its listed under carpet cleaning section as a tile grout cleaner. Probably overkill for what you are doing unless you use it for a few other jobs like tint removal etc. Once you get one you wanna clean everything with steam. Im waiting on a ten dollar part:bang:

15438779771841793053881.jpg

$70 a day. If you rent on on Saturday you get to keep till monday as they are closed on Sunday. Its listed under carpet cleaning section as a tile grout cleaner. Probably overkill for what you are doing unless you use it for a few other jobs like tint removal etc. Once you get one you wanna clean everything with steam. Im waiting on a ten dollar part:bang:

View attachment 1846062
Ok, home depot. Got it. Yes, may get tint removed too.

So, just curious, how hard is it / how much time would it take, to remove the timing cover? I'm concerned that the timing chain dropped off the lower teeth, and...

Honestly, if you already have the radiator out (I did, partly because I didn’t want to break the nipple, and b/c I was doing a fan clutch anyhow) - then esp if you are weeping oil out that front main seal, the biggest bastid of it is the crank pulley bolt.

But if you’re either leaking out the cover perimeter or that main seal, this is sure the prime time to refresh that.

I should have done mine, but hindsite = 20/20.

Heads up..
Keep the steam cleaner away from painted surfaces!
And anything that you clean is ripe for oxidation/corrosion!

Honestly, if you already have the radiator out (I did, partly because I didn’t want to break the nipple, and b/c I was doing a fan clutch anyhow) - then esp if you are weeping oil out that front main seal, the biggest bastid of it is the crank pulley bolt.

But if you’re either leaking out the cover perimeter or that main seal, this is sure the prime time to refresh that.

I should have done mine, but hindsite = 20/20.

Radiator is out. Not leaking oil at the front seal. I was thinking of replacing the seal but the crank pulley would be difficult to take off in its present state. Not sure how that could come off.

Heads up..
Keep the steam cleaner away from painted surfaces!
And anything that you clean is ripe for oxidation/corrosion!
Good point, don't want to invite problems. I may need to just go at it with elbow grease.

Would you be able to snake a cheap harbor freight inspection camera down there to check? I have one if needed.I've used steamer on paint without any issues dozens of times?

Cleaned up the block. Good enough, or keep going? The gasket imprint I’m guessing is ok.

6FC0B7EA-7115-4D9A-8865-662D57200022.jpeg
827B2D78-954C-48F7-90ED-7F8ACB630EB5.jpeg

When you put the head back on, it works well to lay a couple of soft blocks on the top of the engine, like 1x6 boards. Set the head on those then pick straight up on the head on one end at a time, pull the board, and set it straight down. Even with two people it is tough not to slide that head over the gasket as you move back. The boards take this punishment instead.

Cylinder head is back from the shop, super shiny and new. Valve job completed too. Installed sensors, EGR pipe, PHH, exhaust studs. I think it's ready to set in place. Planning on doing that tomorrow morning.

FSM says to bolt on the lower part of intake manifold before putting the head on, but I'm not sure how to do that with the wiring harness still in place.

Not sure your cleaning plans after the above photos but you may want to get after the passages, piston to cylinder gaps etc. with a powerful shop vac. as a final way to get any grit out that could do damage on restart. I can't tell what's around the pistons in the photos but hopefully it's not abrasive/hard. Could just be oil/cleaner? An oil wipe on all of the cylinder walls could help with avoiding corrosion during rest of the project and with initial start lube.

The head is in. Camshafts are in. Timing chain mounted. Lower manifold is on. @stpetedale and I took our time. Read the fsm several times.

New head bolts, new exhust studs. OEM gasket.

3A56084E-9E72-4DB8-9B1D-025DF9F2017C.jpeg
3FC6E583-1E3E-4ECF-BFCB-865FE8C0EFF6.jpeg
66447A7A-E903-4FBC-8266-4FC12714B78D.jpeg

Still cant believe I snapped 2 HF extensions! ! I was hoping someone who has done an 80 head gasket would chime in with any tips we might of missed. The FSM seems to talk in tounges sometimes. I was looking for a picture of distributer set up post install after everything was lined back up. I'm probaly overthinking it as it seemed like any other head gasket job?? The 2 boards tip from bowfin really helped alot as its just an awkward weight and wierd angle to get head back to firewall without sliding.Thanks! I think if I would of changed my profile pic to some hot twenty something year old chick asking for help probaly would've gotten a better response. :rofl:

X2 ^

A twenty year old chick with a cruiser problem and guys would've left their wives to fly down and help. Of course only because it was a cruiser in distress. I mean a damsel in distress.

That said, the FSM is a little misleading. It must say ten times, turn crank to TDC. But if I haven't moved it since I started, why would I need to turn it to TDC? And then again? And again? Steps 1,3,5,7 and 9 all say to turn to TDC. But nowhere in 2, 4, 6, and 8 did it say to turn it off of TDC. Makes me feel like their was an addendum 2.5 that said to turn crank 5 degrees. Odd if you ask me.

Still cant believe I snapped 2 HF extensions! ! I was hoping someone who has done an 80 head gasket would chime in with any tips we might of missed. The FSM seems to talk in tounges sometimes. I was looking for a picture of distributer set up post install after everything was lined back up. I'm probaly overthinking it as it seemed like any other head gasket job?? The 2 boards tip from bowfin really helped alot as its just an awkward weight and wierd angle to get head back to firewall without sliding.Thanks! I think if I would of changed my profile pic to some hot twenty something year old chick asking for help probaly would've gotten a better response. :rofl:

Someone here actually did that! They set up a fake name and posed as a chick and asked the EXACT same question. He instantly had 25 replies to the chick one and two on his.

Of course, the guy thread with two got the same amount done as the chick one with 25.........

Guys tend to have shorter conversations.......

X2 ^

A twenty year old chick with a cruiser problem and guys would've left their wives to fly down and help. Of course only because it was a cruiser in distress. I mean a damsel in distress.

That said, the FSM is a little misleading. It must say ten times, turn crank to TDC. But if I haven't moved it since I started, why would I need to turn it to TDC? And then again? And again? Steps 1,3,5,7 and 9 all say to turn to TDC. But nowhere in 2, 4, 6, and 8 did it say to turn it off of TDC. Makes me feel like their was an addendum 2.5 that said to turn crank 5 degrees. Odd if you ask me.
The manual, line all good manuals, are written assuming that you are a technician that just now came on the seen of this procedure. If you come to a stepnthat seems redundant just move on to the next step.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom