HDJ81 Buyers Guide (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ok, so something to make note of on my fzj8o I bypassed my trans cooler for a few weeks as the line had a pin hole. I run a trans temp gauge. During that time I noticed my operating temps were crazy high all the time. Like 230 poking along in slow farm roads. I cant imagine what the temps would be like in heavy prolonged traffic. Towing would be out of the question. So if your buying a truck like this with no tow package which comes with the tranny cooler, I really think your buying a very cooked unit. conversly with my oil cooler my temps never got above 215 towing 5000lbs up an 8% grade for 5 minutes unlocked. Huge difference in operating temps.

I never like it when a vendor jumps on these threads in order to serve themselves at the expense of others, especially one that puts an embarrassingly laughable price on their own rig. I'm sorry buddy, just being honest.

The reality is with these things, guys in Canada have been using importers from Japan for years with great results and lower cost compared to a local importer. Considering the stronger US dollar, one can get a great deal on an hdj81 if they ask around and do their research. :)

Other than some side arguments, there is some sound advice here about these trucks. Don't be afraid to get one, there is so much knowledge here to help you.

I never like it when a vendor jumps on these threads in order to serve themselves at the expense of others, especially one that puts an embarrassingly laughable price on their own rig. I'm sorry buddy, just being honest.

I originally commented to give the OP advice about where to find the best HDJ81, that's serving the community and the users first, which was the point. After being called out about false statements (still no backup or clarification from the original bomb throwers, typical of keyboard warriors), I'm obligated to defend myself with accurate information for anyone who stumbles upon this thread in the future. Price is a function of cost and value. My truck is $65,000 because of all that's been done to it and the cost associated with that process. Not everyone can afford a $60,000+ Cruiser, and selling it for a profit is not why I built it. I built it to enjoy and to showcase some of the advanced features that can be put into such a truck. I don't want to speculate further about the motives of some commenters in this thread, but I'm obviously not going to let false statements and attacks go by without a response. This isn't Canada 10 years ago. This is about where the best trucks are available today.

I was staying out of this thread, but since you keep asking...

Every HDJ81 in stock is certified mileage, certified no wreck/repair/flood/radiation/damage,
Who certifies each these items? I know you can have a radiation inspection completed, but the others are not so simple. Just saying something is certified does not make it so. Using service history can give you an idea of mileage, but it is far from a certification that the odometer reading is accurate. I personally know someone who imported a vehicle with service history showing low mileage, what a surprise when the timing belt light came on at 85,000km.

if you are buying a truck someone else imported into the US from Japan, you're buying one that I skipped. Sorry for the shameless plug, it's just true.
Right, unless someone wants it more. It's an auction, anyone can bid as much as they want. They can even bid more than you.

I don't want to speculate further about the motives of some commenters in this thread, but I'm obviously not going to let false statements and attacks go by without a response.
And this is just strange. Motives? False statements? Please point one out. I'm not sure what you think motivates me, but I have zero interest in selling my truck if that's what you're getting at.

lol typical... I guess 'used car salesman' is the 'third oldest profession'...

Similar solicitation practices demonstrated in this thread as the 'oldest profession'...

60 000$ Usd ! You can bring in some mighty fine hdj'(s) <- in for that coin!

Yes but not one that has been professionally repainted, mechanically rebuilt and outfitted to the nines. This is not an off-the-shelf truck with a value of $15,000-$20,000. This is a nice HDJ81 from Japan with a $40,000+ build.

I was staying out of this thread, but since you keep asking...

Who certifies each these items? I know you can have a radiation inspection completed, but the others are not so simple. Just saying something is certified does not make it so. Using service history can give you an idea of mileage, but it is far from a certification that the odometer reading is accurate.

There are several ISO accredited inspection agencies in Japan. The one I use not only goes through the reported mileage history, but also does a physical inspection of the odometer and dash. The certification is good enough for the government of Japan and I've found it to be completely accurate based on the vehicles received. It's as "certified" as something can be with the best information and analysis standards available. As mentioned, one previous purchase did not pass the odometer certification and was immediately resold. Radiation checks occur at the port of loading. Anything over a background level cannot leave the country. The government of Japan has a buy-back program for vehicles that cannot be exported due to radiation. So far I've run into this once as well.

I personally know someone who imported a vehicle with service history showing low mileage, what a surprise when the timing belt light came on at 85,000km.

You'd have to be more specific about which model and engine as there are different triggers for the timing belt light. Are you suggesting the service history was forged? How complete was it?

Right, unless someone wants it more. It's an auction, anyone can bid as much as they want. They can even bid more than you.

Per my previous comments, this is not the case. When I choose to purchase a vehicle, the bidding doesn't stop until I win it. This has gotten me into trouble a couple times where I have overpaid for particularly nice or optioned vehicles where there is obvious competition. But that's part of my commitment to have the absolute best vehicles available.

And this is just strange. Motives? False statements? Please point one out. I'm not sure what you think motivates me, but I have zero interest in selling my truck if that's what you're getting at.

As I said, I don't want to speculate but there have been false statements and attacks on my integrity here in this thread. You being motivated to sell a vehicle never crossed my mind. I am obliged and happy to respond and set the record straight.

Last edited:
lol typical... I guess 'used car salesman' is the 'third oldest profession'...

Similar solicitation practices demonstrated in this thread as the 'oldest profession'...

Do you have anything substantive to add to the discussion or just petty comments? I understand that you and others are not asking serious questions about the process but rather trying to cast a negative light on these vehicles and my company. I'm happy to have a legit discussion but I graduated high school decades ago. I feel really old now.

Pretty unfortunate to have to defend myself against baseless and petty comments, but I certainly can't allow this misinformation and dishonesty to stand without rebuttal. A lot of hate and jealousy in this thread from some commenters, not what I'm accustomed to on this forum.

On our 81 we bought in Jan, so far, we're up to $5k in baseline maint items like A COMPRESSION TEST (which we did after buying it, but it turned out good), the BEBs (which we discovered had been done, but better safe than sorry), new axles, rotors, ebrake, alternator, rear axle seals. It still needs a valve adjustment, AT flush, and A/C rebuild (very expensive!), timing belt, and since all that is open: water pump, thermostat, oil seals, and radiator hoses for good measure. And that's just the mechanical stuff! In the end, we will have refurbished this rig and probably have spent the same $ as what Steve sells at LCDirect ready to go. Unless you can confidently do the work yourself or have a good mechanic, I would call him.

What was the HDJ81 like that you bought? How many miles and in what kind of condition?

Thanks for the input!

For $6500, kinda rough condition. It had 291km on the clock and needed all the mechanical stuff I mentioned. And we haven't gotten into bad window motors, bad locks, etc. Plan on $$$. It's called refurbishing/restoring a vehicle. If you think you can put a few $100 into it and keep it running for another 20yrs, it may be a Toyota, but it has its limitations. Worth it, if you've got the balls :beer:

@ rhinorig - how come an AC rebuild is "very expensive"? You can get a new compressor from Rock Auto.
Firstly, I need to check out the whole system and hope for a bad switch. The PO told me it needs a recharge, but I can't get R12 easily in the USA. I hope the compressor is still good and the lines are intact. I'm dying to try out the center console fridge!

Firstly, I need to check out the whole system and hope for a bad switch. The PO told me it needs a recharge, but I can't get R12 easily in the USA. I hope the compressor is still good and the lines are intact. I'm dying to try out the center console fridge!

What year is your HDJ81? I'm 99% certain I saw a sticker in the engine bay of my truck that said it took R134A, I can double check tonight.

Edit: found a pic on my work computer that confirms!

IMG_2116.JPG

Thanks @IanB! There are a lot of stickers with chicken scratch on this rig. From what I can read on this sticker, I'll assume it's R12. Can anyone translate this?
IMG_2171.JPG

Thanks @IanB! There are a lot of stickers with chicken scratch on this rig. From what I can read on this sticker, I'll assume it's R12. Can anyone translate this?View attachment 1279590

I can't read chicken scratch, but I'd say that calls for R12. What year is your truck?

I converted mine to the new stuff. It had the old stuff, The fellow I bought the truck from in Japan suggested I have it serviced there before it left. System worked fine for 6 yrs or so before I converted. That included some epic California desert road trips!

Steve- Puulleeze... You don't think you came off sounding just a teensy weensy bit arrogant in your initial epic post here? You reap what you sew old man...

Oh yeah. I forgot there is no point buying an 81 in Japan because you have already sifted the entire market and your rejects -(any '81 in the entire marketplace that you have not purchased yourself?) -is not worth consideration?

You really think you could drop a literary deuce like that and not collect some rebuttals? Are you that perfect?

And jealous? Please expound upon what exactly it is that you think I (we) should be jealous of? Your ridiculously overpriced personal vehicle? I suspect it is a pretty nice example. Stick a 5 gear or a 24 valve engine in it and you might get a little closer...

Good luck in your business. I suspect you will find that there will be parallels between your own experiences and what happened in Canada 10 years ago - mitigated somewhat by the fact that there are 10 times as many potential consumers in the USA. Of course, you are so perfect that you can afford, from a business experience standpoint, to ignore the trends that occurred in an alarmingly similar marketplace with some remarkably similar business models.

Best of luck to you!

Steve- Puulleeze... You don't think you came off sounding just a teensy weensy bit arrogant in your initial epic post here? You reap what you sew old man...

I can't apologize for confidence. I can apologize if my comments were misunderstood or misconstrued and I'm sorry if anyone was offended by that in any way.

I stand by my statement that I go after and get the best vehicles available, I'm confident in that. I'm sorry if that is offensive or rude, that's not my intention.

I believe the fundamental differences in the regulatory markets between the US and Canada along with other factors don't necessarily mean the historical end of Canadian imports is to be a 1:1 predictor of the future of the US market. But time will tell and we will enjoy as many trucks as possible in the meantime.

The only difference between my truck and a nice HDJ81 coming from Japan is a 6 month $40,000+ build, I understand that this is not for everyone and that some won't appreciate or ever desire that type of investment. I built the truck I wanted to have.

I apologize for getting involved in this thread, I had no intent of offending anyone, I only intended to be putting forward my position that if you're looking for an HDJ81 in the US, you should look at LCD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom