HDJ81 Buyers Guide (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm thinking about buying an HDJ81 with 90k miles. It's a limited VX model 4×4 model with a 1HD-T 4.2L turbodiesel engine and an automatic transmission.

Anything I should know before buying one or anything I should look for? Are there any major flaws with these trucks?

How many miles can I expect to get out of a truck like this?

Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:
They are great trucks. Timing belt will need to be replaced at 100,xxx kms and every 100,xxx after that. Rear disc breaks are expensive to replace. The full time 4wheel drive isn't necessary but they do sell adapters to change to a 60 series part time 4x4 setup.

As stated above you will need to change the big end bearings if it hasn't been done already. The stock Toyota BEB gave problems with the early model 1HDT engines best be safe then sorry.

Weak water pump $$$ potential for a few big $items tranny is one , burnt fluid? Loose turbo there's another grand pumps aren't cheap Either , e lockers working ..just saying a couple hundred spent up front for an inspection by a guy who knows the diesel 80series is a wise investment. Not that their bad trucks they're great I love them but maintainance is key when being abused, and they can take a lot of abuse then Ching Ching just saying. Oh and beb is pretty much standard right out of the gate too.

Save yourself the headache and buy from Land Cruisers Direct - Home. Every HDJ81 in stock is certified mileage, certified no wreck/repair/flood/radiation/damage, connecting rod bearings (BEB's) changed on every 1HDT truck, timing belt and tension pulley changed on every truck that needs it or where the last change is undocumented. I buy the best trucks available, if you are buying a truck someone else imported into the US from Japan, you're buying one that I skipped. Sorry for the shameless plug, it's just true.

Not everyone can afford to buy your own rig for $65,000 or is that a type o,o.. But I do agree with you in general . Do you have a place near him that works on these who does your work..? What is the op paying for the truck maybe you guys are close to your stock. Ps on a side note your third battery fits nicely under your passenger side skid plate for a better balanced truck and the battery doesn't have to be upside down.;)

On our 81 we bought in Jan, so far, we're up to $5k in baseline maint items like A COMPRESSION TEST (which we did after buying it, but it turned out good), the BEBs (which we discovered had been done, but better safe than sorry), new axles, rotors, ebrake, alternator, rear axle seals. It still needs a valve adjustment, AT flush, and A/C rebuild (very expensive!), timing belt, and since all that is open: water pump, thermostat, oil seals, and radiator hoses for good measure. And that's just the mechanical stuff! In the end, we will have refurbished this rig and probably have spent the same $ as what Steve sells at LCDirect ready to go. Unless you can confidently do the work yourself or have a good mechanic, I would call him.

Not everyone can afford to buy your own rig for $65,000 or is that a type o,o.. But I do agree with you in general . Do you have a place near him that works on these who does your work..? What is the op paying for the truck maybe you guys are close to your stock. Ps on a side note your third battery fits nicely under your passenger side skid plate for a better balanced truck and the battery doesn't have to be upside down.;)

My personal truck is an example of things that can be done to an 80 series. Not everyone needs all that, we've already built several trucks with some of the features showcased on my personal HDJ81. The third battery can go in numerous places, some even more optimum than your suggestion, I chose what was best for my build and it isn't upside down.

On our 81 we bought in Jan, so far, we're up to $5k in baseline maint items like A COMPRESSION TEST (which we did after buying it, but it turned out good), the BEBs (which we discovered had been done, but better safe than sorry), new axles, rotors, ebrake, alternator, rear axle seals. It still needs a valve adjustment, AT flush, and A/C rebuild (very expensive!), timing belt, and since all that is open: water pump, thermostat, oil seals, and radiator hoses for good measure. And that's just the mechanical stuff! In the end, we will have refurbished this rig and probably have spent the same $ as what Steve sells at LCDirect ready to go. Unless you can confidently do the work yourself or have a good mechanic, I would call him.

Good advice. :)

On our 81 we bought in Jan, so far, we're up to $5k in baseline maint items like A COMPRESSION TEST (which we did after buying it, but it turned out good), the BEBs (which we discovered had been done, but better safe than sorry), new axles, rotors, ebrake, alternator, rear axle seals. It still needs a valve adjustment, AT flush, and A/C rebuild (very expensive!), timing belt, and since all that is open: water pump, thermostat, oil seals, and radiator hoses for good measure. And that's just the mechanical stuff!

@ rhinorig - how come an AC rebuild is "very expensive"? You can get a new compressor from Rock Auto.

I would venture that the PM costs required to get an HDJ81 up to snuff are approx the same as any FZJ80. Budget $6k with verified mileage, not including "upgrades". Upgrading the early model brakes isn't cheap, but necessary for performance and future ease in finding replacement parts.

One can tell a lot by the smoke on a cold start (see sticky). Look for oil leaks at Turbo, Front Main (remove motor guard underneath) and Rear main (plastic inspection cap on tranny).

If you're looking at a 25 year old truck then you need the desire to wrench on it yourself and build a rewarding - working - knowledge. Well worth it in the end though!

Last edited:
Sorry Steve I'm really trying to say that he should look at your inventory , you have some under 15 ready to go ,if he's paying that and adding another 3-6 well I'm sure he can do the math. The battery thing was more of a jealous shameless plug because. It might as well be up side down. And where is the best place to put 3rd battery , I've done a few builds now and every time I add something the battery had to be moved, I figure crusin should offer that with all his tc skid plates.

Your personal truck is (in my opinion) ridiculously overpriced. However- the market will decide in the end. Good luck.

I'd sell mine for half of that- with a 7 year documented North American service history from , possibly, the most experienced HD81 shop in USA/ Canada. In terms of pure # of these trucks through the shop... Pm me details.

Shameless plug off...

Your personal truck is (in my opinion) ridiculously overpriced. However- the market will decide in the end. Good luck.

I'd sell mine for half of that....

I'll be selling mine for way less than half that and well, it's the only proper 1HD pop-top conversion in NA. (shameless plug) Should have sold it to a guy in Scottsdale who chased us down to make an offer in the REI parking lot, but we just started our 1 year trip. Those are collectors prices and power to you - those people are out there. But I also saw some reasonably priced trucks on that site that were equal to, or cheaper than what Outback Imports sold them for. I really liked that BJ43 that sold. Good luck!

Last edited:
The battery thing was more of a jealous shameless plug because. It might as well be up side down. And where is the best place to put 3rd battery , I've done a few builds now and every time I add something the battery had to be moved, I figure crusin should offer that with all his tc skid plates.

Can't put a third battery under the passenger side when there's a 38 gallon LRA tank in the way. The optimum location is based on your build and requirements, but the absolute best place for "weight and balance" would be in place of the center console, but not at all practical, especially if you like having a center console.

I'd sell mine for half of that- with a 7 year documented North American service history from , possibly, the most experienced HD81 shop in USA/ Canada. In terms of pure # of these trucks through the shop... Pm me details.

Shameless plug off...

A truck that's been rusting away in Canada for 7 years or one fresh from Japan and rebuilt to this level? No comparison. Price is set to avoid selling it and reflects build cost. I've already turned down $59,000, twice.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom