H55F Disassembly with home made SST (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi Marco,

thank you for your great write up, I´m going to pull my H55 apart soon to replace some (all) noisy bearings.
Whats the size of the bolts you were using for grinding the claws of ? They look like metric 10mm to me but it´s kinda hard to estimate from the pictures. I can easily figure out that by myself on the go but I´m also curious right now....

Cheers,
Tilmann

Hi Marco,

thank you for your great write up, I´m going to pull my H55 apart soon to replace some (all) noisy bearings.
Whats the size of the bolts you were using for grinding the claws of ? They look like metric 10mm to me but it´s kinda hard to estimate from the pictures. I can easily figure out that by myself on the go but I´m also curious right now....

Cheers,
Tilmann

Another way to build a tool here, post #21 for one bearing, and #40 for the harder one.

(Permalink: H42 Transmission, Tcase, eBrake Rebuild in a '76 FJ40`)

Last edited:
...I used the nut on the output shaft to pull it through that rear bearing. again BE CAREFUL that the washer behind 1st doesn't move and the pin doesn't fall out.

View attachment 507533View attachment 507534View attachment 507535

Hey Marco (and others), I'm stuck on that step. Specifically, this one shown in the FSM:

Transmission-000.jpg

Can you post some pics of how you did that step? Is this something a properly cut pipe can solve? Said step is also shown in the video here. Thanks for your help!

Regards

Calvin

Sorry I missed the previous question about bolt size, Tillman, I think they were 1/2" bolts but I don't remember. The tool is with somebody else now.

Calvin,

I remember that the bearings were a pretty light press in the case, heavier on the shafts. For that rear bearing and gear I am pretty sure I bumped them on with a hammer. It looks like you could get an appropriate piece of pipe that slides over the shaft and contacts the inner race of the bearing and bump it home. you could also get a shorter piece of pipe that fits between the bearing or gear and the threaded section of the shaft and maybe use the nut that goes on the shaft to pull the shaft through the bearing or gear, it is a short thread so you'd have to stop and add washers or a spacer under it as you went along. If you do use a piece of pipe make sure pieces don't flake off and fall into the bearing (like a galvanized pipe would be bad) or you can put a hardened washer on it or use the nice spacer that goes on the end of the shaft in the transfer case... i think it'd fit?

Sorry I missed the previous question about bolt size, Tillman, I think they were 1/2" bolts but I don't remember. The tool is with somebody else now.

Calvin,

I remember that the bearings were a pretty light press in the case, heavier on the shafts. For that rear bearing and gear I am pretty sure I bumped them on with a hammer. It looks like you could get an appropriate piece of pipe that slides over the shaft and contacts the inner race of the bearing and bump it home. you could also get a shorter piece of pipe that fits between the bearing or gear and the threaded section of the shaft and maybe use the nut that goes on the shaft to pull the shaft through the bearing or gear, it is a short thread so you'd have to stop and add washers or a spacer under it as you went along. If you do use a piece of pipe make sure pieces don't flake off and fall into the bearing (like a galvanized pipe would be bad) or you can put a hardened washer on it or use the nice spacer that goes on the end of the shaft in the transfer case... i think it'd fit?

That was my thinking, too. I might fab something up to try - I'll be sure to report back with pics if successful. Not having the correct SST to stare at, I have to think it functions similarly to this one. Cheers!

Last edited:

Calvin,

I was planning to just use a piece of pipe and my hydraulic press instead of the threaded rod/nut. Anyone gone that route instead of making a threaded DIY SST?

The threaded rod/nut worked well for me. Not sure about the hydraulic press - you may end up fighting to get things positioned in your press. When you go that route please post some pics, help fortify this thread and forum!

Calvin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom