H55- 5psd into FJ-55 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a '84 2F in my 1967 FJ45 with the stock 84 2F alternator, and I did not have to get any diode to get it to charge fine. I have put 6 hour road trips on it, and havent had to charge the battery in 8 months. I wired the "IG" terminal to switched 12v, and hooked up the "+" terminal to the white/blue charging circuit wire and been fine since.

as for the ingitor bit, you will need the factory setup. maybe from some other toyota car, but its real simple from there. I think I just hooked up a 12v switched wire to the coil and I was fine.

-Brett

Update:

Got the motor in around midnight last night with tranny and t-case attached. I had one of the extendable engine hoists the further you extend the arm the lower the weight rating. I had it on 1/2 ton and I though it was going to snap in half.

Got everything in without cutting sheet metal, though it needs to be done at some point. Hats off to FJ55-100, Evan, for letting me use his transmission hoist adjuster. Wow! I needed those angels.

Today was the detail work.

Dropped off the driveshafts at my local drive shaft fabricator and will get those back in a week.

Good news about the water pump. Turns out I have the shorter one; it's only about 5 inches long. Now all I need is a fan. I don't really know which pump I have now, cause I thought I ordered a 60 series pump, with water cooler, but this one seems a bit short.

All the wiring is completed, except the alternator. I didn't have a voltmeter and a few of the marking threw me off.

Vacuum stuff will be a cinch. I'll need to drill and tap a vacuum port on the intake manifold I have, for my brake booster.

On the motor mounts, I am currently using the 4 stock mounting points, but it's not a good long-term solution. Brett is correct about the transmission cross support. It will interfere with the drive shaft while offroading. I think I will use the t-case adapter the SBC guys use for their supports. Anybody think of a reason I shouldn't use this?

Once I have that fabbed up and the new tranny hump cut and fabricated, I will feel much better about Pismo. I'd like to get a weekend to workout the kinks.

Pics to follow.

sounds great man!!! you must be more motivated than me, mines been at the present stage for a couple months now.
i dont see a problem with the sbc style crossmember, are you using the 60 front shaft with CV? luckily i had a complete running 60 to pull everything i wanted from, and i pulled about everything, even brake master/booster. so really my piggy will end up an FJ57.5

BRETT: thanks for the wiring info, it makes alot of sense that way, i got the whole shebang from the 60 so its just a matter of running switched 12 volts to it i suppose.

A Shot before I pulled the motor
BEFORE.jpg

The donor motor is a high performance motor assembled by me, machined by a friend.

- It features custom Ross Racing pistons to increase the compression ratio to about 9.5:1.
- Balanced and blue printed crank and rods.
- Custom RV grind CAM
- Stainless steel custom cut valves
- 90 lbs Chevy valve springs
- Port and polished head
- Polished and knifed intake manifold
- 6-1 headers
- DUI Dizzy
- Mark’s off road non-USA performance carb
:grinpimp:

On the backend of the motor, I have a 74 bell housing with and H55 and an ’84 splitcase, with parking brake drum.
Motor tranny ground.jpg

Last edited:
After hoisting my fair share of transmission in and out from under the car, I decided to try the front end install, bolted to the motor... Way better. Thanks to fj55-100, Evan J, for his tranny adjuster. This tool was the key. We went straight in with the motor, but quickly angled it down, then went straight for a few inches, then angled it down... It was a long night of wrenching on the positioning bolt.

It took us two tries to get the motor in. Defiently helps to remove the front bumper as the hydraulic ram housing was interfering with the front bumper. First time in we were two inches short
2 ABout to go in.jpg

Last edited:
A shot in progress, it was definitely a two person job. A lot of spotting and adjusting. Luckily I had the other half of PV Cruisers available to help me. Note the glamour shot of Jason.
3 Fitting.jpg

Finally the motor sitting in the FJ-55. Now I need to finish the detail work... More to come :cheers:
5 Fitted.jpg

nice job, looks alot like my 76 even the blue/white :cool:

P.S. is it just a bad pic or does jason look like a serial killer?

RHINO said:
P.S. is it just a bad pic or does jason look like a serial killer?

Yeah it's part of the deal... He's cheap labor as long as I keep track of him for the parole officer...

He'll be driving the FJ-55 up to Pismo as thanks for his hard work. I'll be driving the BJ-70.

Quick update… I’ve got the motor running. I’m picking the driveshafts up from the shop today and should be driving the ’55 by tonight. Hopefully the hump will be finished and the tranny mounts too.

Now, I just need to chase down the small nagging leaks of various fluids.

I also installed an Ironman Suspension ( out of Ozzy land) and the 4 inch shackles from Man-a-Fre that come with the Safari Kit. I was running the safari lift kit, but those springs are garbage and the from driver shock was interfering with the steering linkage. I took one trip to the desert with a loaded ’55 and those safari springs were toast.

I also installed ’33 tires and man does it look good.

The motor sounds killer. I can’t wait to drive it tonight! Pismo is looking better and better each day ( knock on wood).

Sweet. I have been thinking of a similar swap. I just purchased a great running 2F, 4 spd, split case from an 81 FJ40 that had rolled. I have always wanted to drive one of those 5 spds to see if indeed it was worth the work. Thanks for sharing info and pics. Let us know how the rest of the last details go with the install-that's what I'm a bit nervous about tackling.

Lucy_FJ55 said:
Oh yeah, and I'm running the Safari kit on my trail pig and am not terribly excited about it and am considering lift options for my other pig. So, what is your first impression of those Oz-land springs? Where did you get yours? Why did you pick 'em? Thanks.

On the Oz springs, I bought them for a couple of reasons:

1) I liked the completness of the kit ( includes lot of crap)

2) I was importing a vehicle from OZ, so I had them though a kit in the back ( free shipping). I bought directly from Ironman

3) I'm probably going to rep for them in the USA...

4) Fit is pretty good. Couple things that were frustrating is that you have to trim the ubolts to fit. They come plated and look great, it's a bummer I had to expose untreated to steel to the environment. Other thing is that I had to leave the leaf spring loose to get the placement peg to line up with the spring perch.

Overall for the price and the amount of stuff included in the kit it's great. All the hardware is included as the gold (plating?). Greaseable shackles, shocks, steering dampener, perch pins, ubolts, and bushings ( along with springs). It's a great kit!

Lucy_FJ55 said:
Let us know how the rest of the last details go with the install-that's what I'm a bit nervous about tackling.

It really helps if you have the stock motor from the truck and your new motor. What year is the FJ-55 you want to do the install on?

I will happily walk you through it when the time comes...

Also, I plan to write up all the small stuff I had to pull or buy to make this work..

:beer:

i cant think of any "small stuff" that was a major difference on mine except the wiring. and that water pump/fan that needs to be done in older form to fit.

i run ironman springs on the SOA pig, love'em, if i decide to lift the other woman i'll go ironman as well.

i guy somewhat local to me tried to vend for ironman and it didnt work out, dont know the details. i checked into vending for them a couple years ago but didnt follow through. if you get it done i'll know where to get them now since SOR only sold them for a short time apparently.

Very cool! Somehow I missed this thread...!

PVCruiser said:
The donor motor is a high performance motor assembled by me, machined by a friend.

- It features custom Ross Racing pistons to increase the compression ratio to about 9.5:1.
- Balanced and blue printed crank and rods.
- Custom RV grind CAM
- Stainless steel custom cut valves
- 90 lbs Chevy valve springs
- Port and polished head
- Polished and knifed intake manifold
- 6-1 headers
- DUI Dizzy
- Mark’s off road non-USA performance carb
:grinpimp:

On the backend of the motor, I have a 74 bell housing with and H55 and an ’84 splitcase, with parking brake drum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom