GX470 Wheel/Tire/Lift Picture Combination Thread (18 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

a>

Front = Toytec 2.5 w/ 5100 on bottom perch
Rear = Moog FJ w/ MT conversion (stock struts for now)

265/70/17 terra grappler on FN countersteer wheels

Torn on if I like the tire size or want to go bigger. Trying to stick to a "mild" setup as it spends 80% of its time in urban settings and my old lady drives it a ton.

a>

View attachment 1681331

View attachment 1681332

any rubbing with this setup?

a>

Front = Toytec 2.5 w/ 5100 on bottom perch
Rear = Moog FJ w/ MT conversion (stock struts for now)

265/70/17 terra grappler on FN countersteer wheels

Torn on if I like the tire size or want to go bigger. Trying to stick to a "mild" setup as it spends 80% of its time in urban settings and my old lady drives it a ton.

a>

View attachment 1681331

View attachment 1681332

Did you go with the Moog 81081?

Nice! Do you know how much lift you got from the Moog coils?

I never measured before I ripped out the airbags, but I am guessing about 1.5 inches.

I measured the rear at 21” on low and 23” on high from the center of the hub to fender. If you don’t mind measuring where it’s at now.

No lift, rear bags replaced with springs, factory wheels power coated with Tiger Drylac Bengal Silver, 1" spacers, Michelin Defender LTX M/S 265/70/17. Aesthetically, while not really captured in photos very well, this setup makes the truck look noticeably more beefy and a bit more 100-series-Land Cruiser-like in terms of proportions vs. the stock size tires and no spacers.

GX w Defenders spacers Bengal Silver wheels front 1.jpg
GX w Defenders spacers Bengal Silver wheels side1.jpg
GX w Defenders spacers Bengal Silver wheels.jpg

Getting 255/80/17 the first of next month, right now it’s on 265/70/17

77C47577-2651-4FDA-B008-DB5CD29DAF3E.jpeg

IMG_20180429_111716.jpg

275 70 r17 Cooper AT3 on 4runner wheels painted BMW anthracite.
Bilstein 5100 on the 3rd perch up and factory springs with rear airbag sensor spaced down.
Love the tires but, as a 10 ply, they are heavy! I got a great deal on them ebay from discount direct, $600 shipped for 4! At first I was regretting my decision coming from the smooth Michelin ltx but I had them rebalanced and they smoothed out a lot!
I'm running a 255 75 17 as a spare and it fits with no problem fully inflated (no kdss). It's nearly the same diameter.
If my bags take a s***, I'll convert the rear end and lift more. And if my wife gets taller I'll ditch the running boards!! It's not looking good though, pretty sure she's done growing :doh:
IMG_20180309_164524.jpg
IMG_20180309_164513.jpg
IMG_20180425_111658.jpg

255/80R17 Toyo Open County II
1.5 leveling kit with extended Wheelers off road bump stop
Strut master coil conversion kit.
21.5" front hub to fender
22" rear hub to fender
No rubbing but never try with running board still installed.

Those of you running 255/80/17's are you experiencing any change in the harshness of the ride? I ask because our GX is due for new tires and currently has 265/70/17 load range C. I want to go 255/80/17 but notice they are all load range E. Thanks!

It's definitely stiffer. If you drive a lot on bad expansion joints that are spaced closely it can be annoying. Normal roads are fine.

I like the sidewall stiffness. it does not make the truck wiggle around corners like my previous 100 series with 285/75R16.

With KDSS the truck actually still handles really well. A few times I was caught a bit off guard in an 4wheel drift. The narrow tire have less grip than OEM and much stiffer sidewall allowing the truck to slide under control.

I am liking the 255's a lot. Had them before on a Taco and like them better here, maybe it's more even weight front and back. I was really pleased with how they did in a snowy road situation couple weeks ago on the way to Moab, seemed really grippy. And it was tough to get them to break free in the dirt/sand, I was going pretty fast too. Plus I really don't rub- maybe a kiss of the inner fender well in front at full stuff, but not even worth trying to fix. I know it would be a different story with a wider tire.

edit: this is a picture thread..

IMG_0611.jpg

I am liking the 255's a lot. Had them before on a Taco and like them better here, maybe it's more even weight front and back. I was really pleased with how they did in a snowy road situation couple weeks ago on the way to Moab, seemed really grippy. And it was tough to get them to break free in the dirt/sand, I was going pretty fast too. Plus I really don't rub- maybe a kiss of the inner fender well in front at full stuff, but not even worth trying to fix. I know it would be a different story with a wider tire.

edit: this is a picture thread..

View attachment 1700881
Make/model of tire?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom