Grab Rail Installation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MOC

Threads
I bought a grab rail from SOR and am wondering if the dash steel is thick/strong enough to not bend when my wife and kids grab the bar to get into the truck. Installation seems incredibly simple. Any thoughts or advice (other than not to destroy my dash by installing the bar!)?

If you don't want to drill the dash, you can install grab bars above the door.

1667965684763.png

1667965709372.png

Yes, those over-the-door grab hangles use factory holes...and tiny little bolts. I have them in my 40 but I wouldn't trust them in a serious accident. I have ripped less than robust door handles right off their mounts in various non-cruiser related accidents. The handles on your 40's door are pretty dang wimpy in my opinion,

I have one of the Specter bars sitting on the bench right now. The Specter bars have 4 mounting holes versus most of the older chrome bars that everyone thinks are made of gold and have only two mounting holes. If you back it up with some big washers or, better yet, some 1/8" steel plate, I'd think you'd be pretty safe.

I'm still debating as I'd also like to run some side defrost vents. I've got a complete set around here somewhere.

P.S. - I got my over the door grabs from Specter as well.

Yes, those over-the-door grab hangles use factory holes...and tiny little bolts. I have them in my 40 but I wouldn't trust them in a serious accident. I have ripped less than robust door handles right off their mounts in various non-cruiser related accidents. The handles on your 40's door are pretty dang wimpy in my opinion,

I have one of the Specter bars sitting on the bench right now. The Specter bars have 4 mounting holes versus most of the older chrome bars that everyone thinks are made of gold and have only two mounting holes. If you back it up with some big washers or, better yet, some 1/8" steel plate, I'd think you'd be pretty safe.
Good idea on the washers or steel plate. Thanks for the advice.

Couple pics I had already on the phone-
PO/port/dealer installed 🤷‍♂️
Seems pretty stout to me.

23B10134-F17A-42A1-845B-BB70469D8957.jpeg

3EB1735E-1001-4F0D-A8AE-3B9F98663908.jpeg

Rather than mount the SOR handle centered on the glovebox, don’t forget to allow enough clearance to undo the right side windshield knob.

True story.

Guess who can't back his out all the way. 😆

I'm debating about removing it and patching the holes when paint happens. Or, moving it as you recommend.

ConFerr grab bar

Very common po accessory to add

They made some great stuff
The ConFerr bar is great and was one of the first modifications I did to my 40. I do have thick washers behind mine and it has survived some very "hefty" passengers using it to get in and out for nearly 3 decades. They made good stuff, wish they were still around.

@cruiserkev I hear ya that … class act as well

For those who want to know more about ConFerr:

@cruiserkev I hear ya that … class act as well

For those who want to know more about ConFerr:

What a great link! Thank you for sharing that knowledge. All those articles and details- what a great life he has lived. Amazing stories, love the Off-Road history.
Thank you and cheers 🍻

I have spoken with another member about this and have a question.
Are the grab handles that mount above the door that SOR sells OEM? I understand LX trim level in non-USA markets had this as an option.

My 79 has the ConFerr added above the glove box and is very stout at the mounting point, the nut on the backside loosens from time to time.
@S.CarolinaFZJ80 interesting handle mount below the glovebox door, first I have seen.

I believe the above door handles are original to the LX.
My 40 had the one above the passenger door and on the dash, as pictured above, when I bought it.

I bought the one above the driver door from SOR and added it. It is not a Toyota part but a SOR knockoff. The holes in the metal strap had to be filed out a bit for it to "bolt" up to my driver door header but it is a great addition and looks like the other two.

FWIW - The grab handles above my doors are for helping myself and riders up into the respective seats, as well as getting out of my rig. They work GREAT for that purpose....OH, and I do get to hang my left arm from it while driving, which is a plus.

:meh: ** YMMV ** :meh:

I like the SOR Handle if it uses the stock holes on the door header. 10/81 Toyota added a single handle. Going by diagrams that generally are RHD would say it was installed on the passenger side. This what the factory hands looks like. It's the one that there are two of. Other one is 60 series.
IMG_20210606_113758646.jpg

Here is where the stock location was.
IMG_20210606_114723352.jpg

But believe towards the front made more sense unless was someone getting in the back with the passenger seat folding down.
IMG_20210606_114347902.jpg

FWIW - The grab handles above my doors are for helping myself and riders up into the respective seats, as well as getting out of my rig. They work GREAT for that purpose....OH, and I do get to hang my left arm from it while driving, which is a plus.

:meh: ** YMMV ** :meh:
It used properly, it keeps the wear and tear on the outside edge of the seat to a minimum too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom