gm vortec engine and orion t-case: VSS setup from downey (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

.The AC Delco part number for the electrical plug-in connector for our VSS is #PT-1798. It actually cost more then the VSS, we're actually too embarrased to sell it.
I have to say there is great integrity at downey. I spoke with Jim 3 months ago abut the vss kit that I picked up for my conversion. Which is the same one pictured in this write up. When I asked about the plug I was given the same response in verbadum concerning the plug. To make a long story short you cannot tell the same lie word for word 3 months apart. I am sold on there honesty and awesome products.I WILL USE DOWNEY FOR ALL MY CONVERSION PURCHASES AND WILL RECOMMEND THEM TO ALL DOING A CONVERSION ON ANY TOYOTA RELATED PRODUCTS. Cudos to you guys at Downey for the good work.

luckily we had the original harnes from the donor truck so i scavenged a connector/pig tail from it.
quote]</p>What was the donor vehical ? I meed to get a plug for mine at the salvage yard.

good stuff one eye, thanks. One step further in getting efi on the ole 69 307.

the VSS supplied by downey was a factory GM part. i don't have the oem part # written down but i bet the invoice from downey has it on there. otherwise i'd assume that jim can post it.

so there should be no reason why you would'nt be able to buy one at the dealer or at any better auto parts store.

fwiw, it's very uncommon for a VSS to go bad. the #1 reason for them to stop working is contamination. a VSS is basically a magnetic pickup. so if something in the transmission/transfer case fails, the magnet can get covered with metal shavings which will muffle/shield the signal causing the ecu to trigger a VSS trouble code. in that case, you can clean the VSS but it'll end up doing the same thing again unless the problem in the geared component is taken care of. this is a very common issue with some automatic transmissions, mostly in chrysler and ford fwd vehicles..........

I have to say there is great integrity at downey. I spoke with Jim 3 months ago abut the vss kit that I picked up for my conversion. Which is the same one pictured in this write up. When I asked about the plug I was given the same response in verbadum concerning the plug. To make a long story short you cannot tell the same lie word for word 3 months apart. I am sold on there honesty and awesome products.I WILL USE DOWNEY FOR ALL MY CONVERSION PURCHASES AND WILL RECOMMEND THEM TO ALL DOING A CONVERSION ON ANY TOYOTA RELATED PRODUCTS. Cudos to you guys at Downey for the good work.

Old Thread Aleart. As I am researching installing an LS in my LV, I found this thread. Unfortunately, Downey is no longer in business. I did find this part. Does it do the same thing? Others out there hopefully know more than me.

V-8 Vehicle Speed Sensors (VSS), Speedometers, V8 Conversions, Stealth Conversions

toyotafj004.jpg

Call the folks at JTR. IIRC LS series uses a 40 pulse VSS (40 tooth reluctor ring).
I assume from your search that you are using a manual trans.

Here is a copy paste from my build thread, it seams pretty relevant:

A little info about the VSS: As you likely know, these gen 3/4 GM engines need a vss even if you are running a manual or a old auto like I am. I guess the ecu needs to know if the vehicle is coming to a stop so it can switch fuel maps, or something like that. If you skip it they say the engine will stumble coming to a stop or leaving. My original plan was to stick a 40 toothreluctor in the tail housing of the th350 but the governor gear made that a pain (there is lots more room in a 4l60e tail housing fyi). Then I was going to build a mount to mount the same 40 toothreluctor on the back of the T case wherethe trans out put comes through the Tcaseon all cruiser T cases. But given this is asplit case that shaft is a little shorter thanthe older T cases so that became a paintoo. I settled on the simplest solution of all, although it was hard to find. Dakota Digital makes an 8k pulse generator that goes into a gm speedo coupler, and an adaptor to make it go into a toyota speed cable coupler. I just needed to get my ecu reflashed to know the new 8k pulses per mile rather than the 128k pluses per mile the 40 tooth reluctor ring gives off. The guy doing the tuning said this will work fine given I’m not attempting to shift an electronic 4l60e, just manage the idle. I searched the net a lot on this topic, it seams the combo of lq4 LS, TH350 andsplit case is not that common, hopefully this works and anyone looking for info on this type of set up in the future will find this when they are searching.
6D3895D5-C423-45AE-B19A-68251A666F2F.jpeg
ECCDA53C-9A12-442B-B647-F965893C21C8.jpeg

gpfj40, good post. Q: why are you using a TH350 vs the newer 4L60E?

I am staying away from electronic shifting on this project. Using a reverse manual valve body. Th350s also have more front driveshaft to pan clearance. My gearing will be via nwf black box and a split case. It was way cheaper than a built 4l60e too.

JTR made my swap simple. VSS in the tail of the 4l60e installed with a simple drill and tap.
The owner of JTR passed away recently and his brother has been taking care of orders. It's not his passion though, and I have a feeling it may not be around much longer (which is truly sad).
Call the folks at JTR. IIRC LS series uses a 40 pulse VSS (40 tooth reluctor ring).
I assume from your search that you are using a manual trans.

JTR made my swap simple. VSS in the tail of the 4l60e installed with a simple drill and tap.
The owner of JTR passed away recently and his brother has been taking care of orders. It's not his passion though, and I have a feeling it may not be around much longer (which is truly sad).

Sounds like a business opportunity for someone with a passion. JTR has a lot of cool stuff.

I know this is an old thread.....but it might help me source a part. I have the downey VSS housing adapter, and it appears the small set screw used to hold the GM VSS sensor backed out or somehow came loose. Any ideas on where to source this set screw or anyone know the size. I know what I'm calling the set screw is not a custom part, I've just not tried to find that before and wonder if I'm using the correct name. Anyway if anyone has the size or know where you can buy these...let me know, Not a big deal just trying to zero in on the right small part.

well...guess its good when you can answer your own questions....I see I can get an assortment of set screws from amazon.. FYI for anyone with the same issue.

I know this is an old thread.....but it might help me source a part. I have the downey VSS housing adapter, and it appears the small set screw used to hold the GM VSS sensor backed out or somehow came loose. Any ideas on where to source this set screw or anyone know the size. I know what I'm calling the set screw is not a custom part, I've just not tried to find that before and wonder if I'm using the correct name. Anyway if anyone has the size or know where you can buy these...let me know, Not a big deal just trying to zero in on the right small part.

McMaster Carr will have most anything you would want.

I've had good luck in the specialty fastener section of my local (not big box) hardware store.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom