Gertrude - 2F high performance rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Andrew is this truck up and running still. Would like to chat about your engine in detail.

Regards Matt

www.3rdrock4x4.com

Yep - still going strong...

I've had some problems with one of my HEI dissies, but have recently treplaced it with my spare and now going well again.

Must find the money to put in the ignition ECU and coil packs... :)

A rod thru the block, and then the beautiful sound of synthetic winch line being unwound :) Awesome video!!

Mine already makes heaps of low down torque right through the rev range from the full rebuild and balance 2 years ago, plus a little work, I am now looking at increasing the rev range and some head work.

http://www.3rdrock4x4.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=538&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

http://scotto.3rdrock4x4.com/beiged.mov

Do you have a dyno read out of how your engine produces its power?

100_0476.jpg

Last edited:
No graphs sorry - was only on the dyno to get the LPG mixture optimised for max power so that was the only thing we looked at...

So your whats your opinion with regards to increasing the rev range.

What are the key points?

Breathing - port it and good headers.
Compression - higher is better (within reason)
Balance it.
Upgrade the oiling system.

And a heavy right foot :)

headers/extractors check and ceramic coated too to custom exhaust
Balanced Yep
Compression done

To do
Head to port and polish, heavier valve springs, maybe a larger vlaves too, engine builder is looking into this and a cam to suit low down torque.

Now the Oil system is this in the head only or the block too, noticed you ported the oil pump too I think thought the pics are poor.

Heavy right boot http://scotto.3rdrock4x4.com/MattMc40.mov Playing on the Pro Comp AT's

Last edited:
Oiling - read (this was in the first post of this thread) :)

I had read a lot about oiling mods (mostly Mark Whatley's ideas) but could not do what he suggested because it needed a lot of parts from an 'old' F and I couldn't find one anywhere. So I went back to first principles and looked at what might be the issues.

Turned out the sum volume of the galleries to the mains was half of that of the gallery from the oil pump - so the oil pump was fighting a losing battle.

I enlarged galleries from the pump, through the filter housing. Ported and polished the pump. Replaced the pipe from the pump to the block.
This gave a good feed to the main gallery.
I then enlarged the galleries to the mains. The galleries to the cam were jetted down to prevent too much bleed off (keeping good feed to the bigends)

I also shimmed the releif valve at the pump.

Oiling - read (this was in the first post of this thread) :)

I had read a lot about oiling mods (mostly Mark Whatley's ideas) but could not do what he suggested because it needed a lot of parts from an 'old' F and I couldn't find one anywhere. So I went back to first principles and looked at what might be the issues.

Turned out the sum volume of the galleries to the mains was half of that of the gallery from the oil pump - so the oil pump was fighting a losing battle.

I enlarged galleries from the pump, through the filter housing. Ported and polished the pump. Replaced the pipe from the pump to the block.
This gave a good feed to the main gallery.
I then enlarged the galleries to the mains. The galleries to the cam were jetted down to prevent too much bleed off (keeping good feed to the bigends)

I also shimmed the releif valve at the pump.

Thanks for the help I elected to go down this road

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=134529

Matt

I have had no problems with using the stock (original units = high mileage) valve springs in these engines up to 5500-6000 RPM.

This is higher than I recommend for the 3F. In spite of Andrews experience I don't reccomend this with stock rod bolts in the 2F either. With appropriate upgrade however (and the forged pistons you'll be usining with the turbo anyway) this should be an aceptable redline.

I did some pretty extensive oiling mods to a couple of engines. But it was beyond what is needed. Sort of experimental prototype stuff. I usually do pretty much the same as what Andrew has refered to. Works well.

Mark...

I have had no problems with using the stock (original units = high mileage) valve springs in these engines up to 5500-6000 RPM.

This is higher than I recommend for the 3F. In spite of Andrews experience I don't reccomend this with stock rod bolts in the 2F either. With appropriate upgrade however (and the forged pistons you'll be usining with the turbo anyway) this should be an aceptable redline.

I did some pretty extensive oiling mods to a couple of engines. But it was beyond what is needed. Sort of experimental prototype stuff. I usually do pretty much the same as what Andrew has refered to. Works well.

Mark...

Forged pistions with ceramic coating and teflon skirts, custom con rods and bolts, new trick head bolts, new cam, compression ratio of about 8.0:1 to suit Turbo intercooler. Oil system up graded. O'rings machined into the block and a custom head gasket So we can run high boost. So far on the list.
Aiming to rev to 5500 with a little to spare

All this will be listed on the new thread I have started to cover this build up

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom