Gas cap replacement, or should I replace the whole thing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My gas cap key cylinder seems to have snapped, then some plastic things fell out of the side. I could just buy a new cap, but it seems like maybe the metal thing where the cap sticks in is bent. I'm not entirely sure.

What should I do? What are my options?

If y'all think I should replace more than the cap, is it hard? I think my local mechanic would love to never see me again.

If I sound stupid, it's because I am not familiar with this at all.

bend.jpg

lc-gas (1).jpg

lc-gas (2) - Copy.jpg

lc-gas (3).jpg

lc-gas (2).jpg

Fuel caps are inexpensive so I would just huck that in the recycling and buy a new one.

I used to use one of those locking caps and can say with complete confidence: THEY'RE JUNK. What happened is the tabs that hold it in place and retract when you turn the key broke off, so now it just can't secure to your fuel filler tube. You can, however, get a non-locking Stant fuel cap that'll work well.

If you're in an area where a locking fuel cap is necessary in addition to the locking fuel door, there is an OEM Toyota locking fuel cap. What I can't remember is if it's necessarily rare or just a non-USA part that can still be gotten. I managed to get my hands on one a while back with some help from @ToyotaMatt

Matt, what's the word on the UFO style OEM locking fuel caps? They easily available or not so much?

Man, thank y'all.

I don't care about locking at all. Do y'all have any opinions on the apparent bending of the opening into which I insert the cap (as shown in the pic with yellow arrows)?

Finally, I like buying from Amazon because it's easy. Y'all have any links to there that would be a non locking cap replacement?

The original Toyota gas cap isn’t lockable. It’s just a cap.
The fuel door has a key opening. That should be sufficient.
Correct, though there is (or was) an OEM locking cap available. Factory cap though, like you said, isn't locking.

@partchanger the ridge in your filler tube looks okay from the picture. Looks like you're just seeing slight wear where the lock tabs of that other cap would slide over when it's put in place. Here's a link to an OEM non locking cap from Cruiser Corps: Gas Cap / Lid - OEM - FJ40, FJ45, FJ55, FJ60, FJ62, BJ 1980-1990 - https://cruisercorps.com/collections/gas-caps/products/gas-cap-lid-oem-3

My gas cap key cylinder seems to have snapped, then some plastic things fell out of the side. I could just buy a new cap, but it seems like maybe the metal thing where the cap sticks in is bent. I'm not entirely sure.

What should I do? What are my options?

If y'all think I should replace more than the cap, is it hard? I think my local mechanic would love to never see me again.

If I sound stupid, it's because I am not familiar with this at all.

View attachment 3408422

View attachment 3408423

View attachment 3408424

View attachment 3408426

View attachment 3408425
The original Toyota gas cap isn’t lockable. It’s just a cap.
The fuel door has a key opening. That should be sufficient.
Correct, though there is (or was) an OEM locking cap available. Factory cap though, like you said, isn't locking.

@partchanger the ridge in your filler tube looks okay from the picture. Looks like you're just seeing slight wear where the lock tabs of that other cap would slide over when it's put in place. Here's a link to an OEM non locking cap from Cruiser Corps: Gas Cap / Lid - OEM - FJ40, FJ45, FJ55, FJ60, FJ62, BJ 1980-1990 - https://cruisercorps.com/collections/gas-caps/products/gas-cap-lid-oem-3

this is IN FACT a FJ60 FJ62 OEM toyota NON-=USA genuine parts locking gas cap ,

- some 60's series did NOT have a locking fuel door , hence the locking cap

i can AL:SO NOW re-key it to match your factory K- SERIES code

- i DO have also HJ and BJ DIESEL variants too ....

- TECH VIDEO = it absolutely does indeed exist ... :cool:

1692764906391.png

-
1692764972817.png
1692764772507.png

Reactions: OSS
Toyota even still sells the rubber gasket alone for the gas caps. I kept my patina'd one and just put on fresh OEM rubber. :)
Kinda crazy you can rebuild them.

Part number for OEM cap is 7731012100. Drop that into google and do a search for the part for an online OEM vendor. Another option is to call Cruiser Outfitters as they sell OEM parts.

Plenty of them available @ Cruiser Outfitters 😎

The OEM is best, its metal.

pulling the filler neck is a pain in the back. Not worth it.

Locking gas caps are pointless. If they are going to steal your gas they will just drill a hole in your tank and take what comes out
Eeeeh to a degree. It really depends on where you are. The common tweaker here isn't smart enough to go underneath and try to get at the tank. A lot are still trying to siphon gas when they do 🙄

And still others are picking up copper pots with bonus surprises.....

Eeeeh to a degree. It really depends on where you are. The common tweaker here isn't smart enough to go underneath and try to get at the tank. A lot are still trying to siphon gas when they do 🙄

And still others are picking up copper pots with bonus surprises.....

Don’t cruisers have a anti - siphon valve? My friends once tried to steal my gas, and they couldn’t.

Don’t cruisers have a anti - siphon valve? My friends once tried to steal my gas, and they couldn’t.
I don't believe they do. When I changed out my filler neck a couple years ago I don't remember seeing any kind of screen or other anti siphon features in the original or the replacement. I could be mistaken; but I just don't remember noticing anything.

I don't believe they do. When I changed out my filler neck a couple years ago I don't remember seeing any kind of screen or other anti siphon features in the original or the replacement. I could be mistaken; but I just don't remember noticing anything.

Yea, I'm wondering if its in the entrance to the tank though. I remember when I dropped my 62 tank, there was some sort of door at the entrance, - I think its to stop slosh back, perhaps its also anti - siphon. who knows.

Reminds me a little of my first visit to the gas station right after I got my 60 off the carrier. Opened the gas door and there she was.......PO sent no key! Service Station guys were no help, went back home and had to use channel locks to break it out! OEM was what I replaced it with. Working great ever since.

Reminds me a little of my first visit to the gas station right after I got my 60 off the carrier. Opened the gas door and there she was.......PO sent no key! Service Station guys were no help, went back home and had to use channel locks to break it out! OEM was what I replaced it with. Working great ever since.

My sister once left my OE gas cap on top of the pump.

I was VERY worried then - knowing I was going to have to get a cheapo gas cap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom