Gamiviti seat gears, the aftermath ! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would start watching the classified section for part-outs. I'm not sure how tight the tolerances are for those, but a shop like Fastenal or online source like McMaster-Carr might have something that might be close enough to work. If you're not in a huge rush, the part-out will probably be you best bet.

Ok I know this is an old thread but I wanted to put this here for archival purposes. I had the same problem with the washers in mine and the damn white caps. I replaced my seat gears as well with the gamiviti one's and they are great. 4 months later they were stripped because the caps came out/loose.
I redid mine again today, and just used flat washers to stack the same height as the plastic one. Lots of synthetic bearing grease and she is super smooth.
I also drilled a lock pin to put on the white cap.

MVIMG_20180617_081033.jpg

MVIMG_20180617_081036.jpg

MVIMG_20180617_081117.jpg

Ok I know this is an old thread but I wanted to put this here for archival purposes. I had the same problem with the washers in mine and the damn white caps. I replaced my seat gears as well with the gamiviti one's and they are great. 4 months later they were stripped because the caps came out/loose.
I redid mine again today, and just used flat washers to stack the same height as the plastic one. Lots of synthetic bearing grease and she is super smooth.

View attachment 1724723

View attachment 1724724

View attachment 1724725

You did something wrong, I have done several and never had a failure that one will now stay for sure

So I recently picked up a locked 96 black Lexus LX450.. ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT ! But the seats never worked in regards to the forwards and backwards motion. I did some research online and came across Gamiviti gears. I ordered 2 caps and two gears and went to work yesterday, tackling both drivers and passengers seat. The drivers seat works perfectly after re-install.. forward backwards.. just like new. My passenger seat however only wants to move forward, and does not want to move back still even after the new gear install. I took the seat in and out about 4 times to overlook and underlying issues;nothing.

Any ideas what it could be on your end guys !? Id really appreciate it.. thank you !

Run it with the 4 Seat to Frame bolts loose and see where it is grinding.

Has anyone had any issues with the washers on the gear shaft being bad? Mine are no good and need to replace. Gamiviti doesn't sell and Toyota only sells the whole motor assembly for $530. Photo attached for the washers I'm talking about. They appear to be a hard rubber and one is much thicker than the other.... (Fyi- this is not my seat in the photo)

Thanks in advance for your advice on this.View attachment 1417695

When I have mine out, I will mic them for OD, ID, and Thickness.

View attachment 1724723

View attachment 1724724

View attachment 1724725
I like that. I did a similar thing yesterday but I made a little retainer bracket for the plastic cap:
525EF03B-6908-458C-8A9E-567DBB8207B1.jpeg

anyone do this? - should i order 2 gears or more?

is there a better video out there i looked at all the ones on youtube.. wish someone can do a BRAND NEW SLOW STEP BY STEP VIDEO

i need help. im in chicago help me!!!

anyone do this? - should i order 2 gears or more?

is there a better video out there i looked at all the ones on youtube.. wish someone can do a BRAND NEW SLOW STEP BY STEP VIDEO

i need help. im in chicago help me!!!

Better than? The Gamiviti video is awfully good in my view. Try watching it twice, after you've looked at your seat.

Hello Folks,
Any experience of using brass wheel gears instead of plastic ones on 97 TLC? See attached pic of 26 teeth brass wheel gears .

LC80 metal seat gears.PNG

No personal experience BUT from all I have researched and information I have found they are a bad idea. The plastic is designed to be the weak point and fail if something is off with the motor. They are cheaper and easier to change than an entire seat motor

No personal experience BUT from all I have researched and information I have found they are a bad idea. The plastic is designed to be the weak point and fail if something is off with the motor. They are cheaper and easier to change than an entire seat motor
Thank you for sharing the info.

I agree with the statement that they are cheaper to change than an entire seat motor, but they were absolutely not designed to be the weak point for easy replacement. The weak point of the system should be the actual motor fuse, plain and simple. That's literally what fuses are designed for, to protect motors and the systems they are connected to from overloading. They did plastic because it saves money. Same for the visor tension mechanism, it's got an overmolded plastic cam for the spring clamp to ride on because it saves money.
The evidence: the plastic gears don't fail until the cap falls out, and Toyota only sells the whole assembly and not the gear itself because they assumed the cap would never fall out despite not having a secondary retaining mechanism.

Ass-u-ming the parts were designed well, (and we all know what assuming does) they would be perfectly fine. The worms they mesh with are steel, and they would still be sacrificial to the steel in the event of a failure such as the cap falling out, but would stand up to abuse (running without the cap which ruins the geometry of the gear mesh) for far longer. They'd probably give a much more audible warning when that happens too.

The reality: someone else on here tried them and they were an interference fit on the shaft. They don't need to be (the stock ones slip on and off), which is no good in my book because it ruins future serviceability and self-alignment capability.
Edit: I suppose maybe the person who invested in making them first might've had an issue with the splines on the gear or the shaft stripping, so they made them a press on fit so it would not wear the splines at all. But I cannot see how that would happen first, and I expect we'd've seen it on here if it did happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom