A442F Bugs Help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all! I have a 94’ 80 series and have been chasing down an intermittent transmission issue for a while now. For back story, transmission has been serviced by myself previously. Have done 3 trans drain and refills and began having a random gear loss after the last one, no issues before that. The gear loss is completely random once ive been driving for around 15 or 20 minutes. Letting the truck sit for a while temporarily corrects the issue. Correct fluid and levels have been checked, and fluid does not smelled burnt, also didnt smell burned before initially draining trans the first time. Kickdown cables have been adjusted. No transmission codes or lights (OD light if remember correctly?). Only hiccup I can remember is when I serviced the transmission was the gasket that connects the filter to the trans was not in great shape, maybe a little dry rotted. Could this potentially be my issue? Any advice?

Did you replace the bad gasket between the filter and the valve body?

Did this recently start happening with the super cold weather?

Did you use the correct ATF?

Did you check the ATF level with a fully warmed up engine/transmission (20+ minute drive in cold weather)?

May not be your issue, but a known problem with the A442 transmission is that the shift solenoids inside the transmission can go bad (more often than say the A343 transmission).

There are four of them attached to the valve body, need to remove the pan to get to them.

Try a search for: A442 , solenoids, slipping

(did it for you):

There's a section in the FSM for transmission troubleshooting.

Last edited:
I once owned a T100 with a A340, had the same issue, cleaned them. got me about 10k miles then acted up again, replaced them a second time and added an inline filter. I sold the truck but still see it around prob 40k more miles on it now still working good.

Last edited:
So I forgot to mention, i did replace all shift solenoids as well. The o ring was not replaced (i know i know stupid), and fluid levels and type are correct. Also not a winter issue as it began last summer i believe. Will definitely look at the threads you sent though

has to be in the valve body then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom