Fuel Pressure VSV Delete (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@slow95z & @Will Van :

By "every one of the switches" do you literally mean EVERYTHING that's running on vacuum?
Did y'all remove every VSV, every check valve, & every single vacuum line?
Basically everything pointed out and bolded on page EG-172 in the FSM?

I'm having serious idling issues with my new to me FZJ80 with OBD1. The previous owner removed the EGR, PAIR, and some vacuum lines are removed/capped off. But I'm not entirely sure what's causing my issues. I replaced the O2 sensors and spark plugs and things seemed to have only worsened.

A few quirks I'm experiencing though:
Until the engine is completely warmed up the engine basically refuses to go beyond 1200 RPM while in Drive. In neutral or park it will slowly increase however high I want it to go, but not in Drive, even with the pedal to the floor.

Additionally, this morning, for the first time, the power steering seemed non-existent at first, then slowly built up to normal when pulling out of my parking garage. And my brakes seemed to not function when I was reversing out of my parking spot as well. I quickly popped it from reverse to neutral and then the brakes seemed to function normally, and were fine after that.

I removed and capped every vacuum line except the fuel pressure regulator and brake booster. There is a member on here that sells the “test” bypass plug for EGR sensor, so no CEL codes.

I removed and capped every vacuum line except the fuel pressure regulator and brake booster. There is a member on here that sells the “test” bypass plug for EGR sensor, so no CEL codes.
I've never thrown a code, so I imagine the previous owner had that installed.

i used a paper clip for my egr. i also made some block off plates and removed the lines. i have no check engine light on that i know of but one of my guys is using that truck as a service truck right now. i could call him and ask but he would have said something if something wasnt working right.

For those that have removed/capped the vac lines. What did you do with the charcoal canister line that goes to the VSV for EVAP? Or for that matter the charcoal canister itself?

For those that have removed/capped the vac lines. What did you do with the charcoal canister line that goes to the VSV for EVAP? Or for that matter the charcoal canister itself?

The line that goes from the charcoal canister to the VSV can just go to atmosphere. I used some extra hose and routed mine into the front fenderwell.

Cool. Was thinking the same thing. Doesn’t stink? I had a lawn mower fuel filter coming from the gas tank venting to atmosphere for a while, the fumes were so bad I put the charcoal canister back in and plugged the hose back into the vsv.

Cool. Was thinking the same thing. Doesn’t stink? I had a lawn mower fuel filter coming from the gas tank venting to atmosphere for a while, the fumes were so bad I put the charcoal canister back in and plugged the hose back into the vsv.

No, I don’t get any fuel smell. I actually deleted my charcoal canister altogether and just run the line straight to the fender-well. No fuel smell with either setup.

If you want me message me I can give you my cell number and we can video chat so you can see pics of everything I did.

I’m in the process of doing a full delete on a 95 with OBD II as we speak. Should be done later today. Will report back with results after a few weeks of driving.

Perfect! Thanks for sharing :clap:

Definitely read page EG 299 in the FSM before doing a delete.

I am battling a hot shut off problem with symptoms very similar to vapor lock.

The hot shut offs usually occur after a climb. (Engine is hot from the climb and gas vaporizes at a lower temp at higher altitude.)

According to page EG 299, the fuel pressure regulator and the VSV work in unison to prevent vapor lock.

You need to run a vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator still

So I’ve put around 800 miles on my 95 with OBD 2 since doing a full delete of the EGR, charcoal canister and fuel pressure VSV. It might idle a little better but that could also be palacebo effect. Starts and runs fine with no check engine light. It’s cold here now so time will tell how it starts without that fuel pressure VSV when the weather starts getting hot.

I dont know how hot it gets in CT. Or what kind of elevation changes you will tackle but i dont think you will get vapor lock,now lets what and see if desert dino has any issues since he deleted his.

So I’ve put around 800 miles on my 95 with OBD 2 since doing a full delete of the EGR, charcoal canister and fuel pressure VSV. It might idle a little better but that could also be palacebo effect. Starts and runs fine with no check engine light. It’s cold here now so time will tell how it starts without that fuel pressure VSV when the weather starts getting hot.
I dont know how hot it gets in CT. Or what kind of elevation changes you will tackle but i dont think you will get vapor lock,now lets what and see if desert dino has any issues since he deleted his.

Update on this delete also would like to hear from @Desert Dino

Still no issues with my 95. It’s also still cold here though. I’ll update again when it gets hot.
How is it running now that you went through summer? (pinging this thread).... I'm considering pulling the VSV, canister, all of that 'stuff' but want to make sure I don't cause a problem I don't have now.

mine ran fine all summer drove it 3-4 times a week,90+ with a/c on.
Thanks for replying.... do you park yours in the garage? any fuel smell? and - are you venting to the stock location down low?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom