Front knuckle grease (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How much grease should go into the front knuckle on a 1982 FJ40? This rig has been sitting for about 25 years. Already pumped, at least, 1-1/2 tubes into each side but haven't seen anything around the knuckle(ball) yet. Holy moly, how much does this take? Thought it might somehow went into the pumpkin, not so. :)

Is the knuckle still assembled? You’re probably pushing it past the axle seal and into the housing if so. I don’t think you’re going to see grease coming from the knuckle balls. Needs a proper knuckle service.

I bought several cans of red grease from autozone and just packed it full. Took a lot but now my knuckles are happy and greased

Only time I add grease is during a knuckle rebuild/service. Moly grease is what you want. Pack it full before you bolt the spindle back on. I usually buy a few tubes and use a silicone spatula to scoop it and stuff it in.

If you haven't done the knuckle service, now would be a good time. You can do the axle seals and wheel bearings while you're in there.

Easy job, just messy. 😉

Last edited:
Also get some break cleaner to polish some of the services to get all the old grease off. Some of it sticks, and you don’t want a lot of old dirty grease in there

sitting for about 25 years?
probably a good idea just to go thru the front axle, checking all the bearings and replacing seals

These @OTRAMM videos will give you a good primer on what's ahead of you.

I just kept the shims in the same spot, and that seemed to do the trick. Either remessure it, or don’t let the shims fall then you take the knuckle apart, and zip tie the shims in order.

I just kept the shims in the same spot, and that seemed to do the trick. Either remessure it, or don’t let the shims fall then you take the knuckle apart, and zip tie the shims in order.

I always did that and went by the feel of it.

You use the red (blue, whatever) wheel bearing grease for wheel bearings and in the hub around the wheel bearings. Also OK for the lockout hubs. Not the knuckle or the birfield.

For the birfields and in the knuckles around the birfields, you use moly grease, usually black, dark gray. Check the service manual. Notice the grease type shown in OTRAMM videos.

PS: I forgot to mention the trunion bearings - they get moly grease as well. Moly is for high load, low speed applications.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom