Front end drift - Utah (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bought a 2000 LC a year ago (now 135k miles) and just put on Slee Slider steps yesterday (they look great). My Medium lift with diff drop kit arrived on Thursday. I'd like to have the lift in and ready for a Moab excursion in 10 days. I have 2 questions:

1. For anyone: during the last year I've found that my front end will drift left or right on washboard surfaces (up, down or flat inclines) at almost any significant speed. Could this be due to worn suspension elements, or peculiar to the vehicle? It has given me a scare a couple of times (air pressure was great, diff not locked, alignment checked). Will the lift take care of the problem?

2. Anyone in Utah: any of you out there aware of a good garage that can do the lift with diff drop (has some experience) somewhere in the state of Utah (preferably utah or salt lake county)? I put on the sliders myself, but am afraid I won't have time to perform the lift in time for the trip.

Not sure what Kurt's schedule is like, but you could talk with him about install (Cruiser Outfitters). If not there, Mark Miller, the SL Toy dealership has done plenty of lifts, but you'll pay shop rate for it.

As for you steering, get the lift on and get the alignment done, check it after that.

Thanks, TM. I hope the lift makes the difference. Maybe I just don't know how to drive. I'll try Cruiser Outfitters.

Might be the steering rack bushing(s). I had similar symptoms and found the passenger side steering rack bushing worn. About $20 part to fix it. Your front end alignment shop should find it upon inspection...

thanks - I'll have the bushings checked after the lift goes in. I'm tempted to have lockers installed with a compressor at the same time. Any thoughts about advantages of both or single (front or rear) air lockers? Spressomon - I see that you have only front locker added - do you have the factory rear, or go without? From my reading on the forum I would guess that most would chose a rear or both. Do you find that you engage the front often?

thanks - I'll have the bushings checked after the lift goes in. I'm tempted to have lockers installed with a compressor at the same time. Any thoughts about advantages of both or single (front or rear) air lockers? Spressomon - I see that you have only front locker added - do you have the factory rear, or go without? From my reading on the forum I would guess that most would chose a rear or both. Do you find that you engage the front often?

My '99 came with the factory rear e-locker...which was an available option in '98 & '99. The reason you might want to opt for the ARB locker up front first is to strengthen the R&P.

Had my lift installed at Big-O tires in orem - they did a quick and great job. Had to add the 285/75's after that. Looks great, drives better. We'll see how things go in Moab next week. Next will have to be front and rear lockers - was recently told that newer e-lockers might be better than the ARB air combo. Need to do some reading.

You could add the e-locker to the rear, there's not one for the front end, only ARB. And if you're already going ARB on the front end it would be a LOT cheaper to just add one to the rear end. Again, Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters could source all of that for you.

Air locker it will have to be. I'll check out Cruiser Outfitters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom