Frame of restoration painting question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I've broken down the hard top and spare tire carrier, blasted and welded in the rusted areas. I'm getting ready to start blocking. In the order of painting, when do I start? Do I paint once the pieces are reassembled or each individually? If you are supposed to paint them individually how do you get the bolts?
In terms of sanding my plan is 80 grit then 180 then 320, does this sound sufficient.
Thanks fellas

I'm not a painter, just a cabinetmaker, but my experience with sanding my heater body was that 80 grit left marks/scratches in the metal that were harder to get rid of. I'd use something with finer grit (120 or 150?) to start with, even if it takes a bit longer for the initial sanding.

Don

I usually go 120 then 220 - then 320, with a final wet sand of the primer at 400 to 600.
The 120 - 220 is followed by another coat of primer. Usually 2 or three coats of primer to be sure its nice and flat. (also be sure to spray your guide coat between each primer coat to help see where the low and high spots are) Last coat of primer gets the 320 then 400 to 600 wet. After wet sand, let it dry out then I wipe down with prep-degreaser then paint.
Not sure what you mean by getting the bolts, but I use stainless on all my exterior fasteners with no paint over the top.

Not a painter, but I just painted my 40. I painted all my parts separate. You get better coverage and can detail the pieces. It's a pain to reassemble because it's inevitable to scratch the pieces, but, there's always touch up paint. As far as the screws go, I punched mine through a cardboard and painted them. Again, likely to Chip off paint when reassembling, but all you have to do is touch them up. Good luck

go to the paint and body section and read the thread.

I advise to buy a good DA sander and 100 pack of discs in each of the grits you will need.

Get some rage for a skim coat and some high build primer and block it nice and smooth.

You can then lay down a nice thin primer sealer coat and paint after it has dried a bit. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE NO RUNS at this point. I did not have to buff and cut my final paint job at all.

Bondo : start sanding with whatever you like. Personally I love an orbital sander, just get the scratches out again. Sand in at least 6 directions to keep the panel flat. Count the strokes.. I usually end with 400
Do you guys have filler in a spray can? Very nice to eliminate pinholes in the bondo

Primer: 240 or more and build up to 600. Make sure all the scratches are gone. Especially when using darker colors. High gloss black is the absolute worst color to get right. Matt white by far the easiest.. You get the gist. Remember this the last time you get to alter the finish. Shooting color is just that... YOU CHANGE THE COLOR...don't think you can "fill" scratches at a later stage

Color: I wouldn't use coarser the 240 wet. Depending on the shine you want, you can take up to 2000 grid USE LOTS OF WATER!!! If you get a dirt particle on you sandpaper you drag a nice scratch in good paint.

Again, it all depends on the colour you're going for. The darker the color, the more you're going to see defects in the paint. Are you shooting clearcoat after you're done? 2K clear then final polish with 800/1200/2000 will give you better result the most professional shops. But it will be kinda not-cruiser-like nice..

I would paint all the parts seperate. Why do you want to paint bolts??

Last edited:
Yes, why? I would switch as many as you can to stainless.

how is your experience in using stainless bolts in yota steel panels? I'm still a bit worried about rust to the difference of potential between the different metals

My experience has been good. If your panels are painted correctly you should be fine. I have stainless on several exterior bolts. (Hood, all doors, windshield)

Thanks, I just overly worrie about rust sometimes. But that's what you get from living in a country that's below sealevel. I'll give stainless a go

X10 in painting them separately. Nothing worse than pulling the top to find the truck was painted with it on... Or having to fix rust because the panels weren't properly sealed between them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom