Builds Found an Arabian FJ40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It is good you got the vehicle from a dry climate. After 1974 , Toyota used recycled steel, and thinner, than earlier models. Even though the drive train improved , frame and body suffered in less than dry climates. Take a look on this site for 1974+ vehicles found and see what happened here. I suppose after the gas shortage of 1974 , Toyota was thinning everything out. Also , emissions, gas mileage , all the above. I have a 1969 and the steel is thick and not recycled. The history of these is interesting. I suppose that is why 1984 was the end.

Last edited:
That 40 shines like crazy!

Lift time? :cool:

Lift is in the cards... in fact I already have the OME springs. Was planning to go with Bilstein shocks. But @cbmontgo has me second guessing and toying with the HFS 4". Gah...

Working on buying a house right now, so it's a back burner priority for now.

@Honger gorgeous rigs you have there sir👍

Had a buddy shoot some photos... this one seemed worth sharing.

322prophoto.jpg

In other news, my crankshaft nut came off. Not sure why, or how. No issues with the truck other than my AC clutch giving out on me. So now I have to dive into the front end of the truck. Work on the schedule:
  1. Replace AC clutch (and maybe compressor)
  2. Replace crankshaft nut
  3. Install fittings and plumb the heater

Lift is in the cards... in fact I already have the OME springs. Was planning to go with Bilstein shocks. But @cbmontgo has me second guessing and toying with the HFS 4". Gah...

Working on buying a house right now, so it's a back burner priority for now.

Just say no. @cbmontgo likes Swampers too

So my AC clutch went south... or maybe the compressor's shaft went south... either way you could tell the clutch flywheel was out of whack. On the last major use of the AC it wasn't working well and it was vibrating somewhat. I THINK that vibration is what loosened my crankshaft nut. You can read a little bit about my exploits of just the crankshaft nut here.

So yeah, crankshaft nut replacement gave me the opportunity to replace the AC compressor and plumb in my heater finally. Comprehensive project.

I love that my shop yellow cad plated my old crankshaft nut in this condition instead of saying "Hey dude, your crankshaft nuts is jacked, we need another one".
325cranknut.jpg

@65swb45 delivers with his repro lock tab washer and a used crank nut and a new key. Thanks again!
326cranknutreplacement.jpg

New Sanden AC compressor...
327newcompressor.jpg

And in we go!
328openedup.jpg

You know the adage... "while you're this far in..."? Well, I hit that in spades.

I went ahead and pulled the crank pulley to replace the pulley key in the shaft.
329pulling.jpg

And I found a leak at the timing cover (both the seal behind the pulley and the seal to the timing plate).
330leaking.jpg

So ordered up the parts and got that sorted...
331newgaskets.jpg

And I had all the parts in hand to appropriately reroute my coolant return piping/hoses to go UNDER the AC belt. So time for all of that to go in...
332newreturnpipe.jpg

333newreturn.jpg

New pulley installed with lock tab washer and crank nut...
334pulley.jpg

And putting things back in place. New compressor in. New fan installed (I bought this during restoration of the truck and they beat me to re-assembly, in all honesty it was my fault as I delayed a visit to the shop). New belts. And you can see the coolant return pipe now running below the AC belt... it use to run inside the belt. I also did some cleaning while in here...
335newfan.jpg

Last edited:
Ooh nice. I hear that oEM label on the fan causes imbalance, clutch fails, water pump spins off, radiator damages, headgasket blows, all while an unshakable grin of you watching how retro your rig is. Just kidding!!! Awesome rig

Ooh nice. I hear that oEM label on the fan causes imbalance, clutch fails, water pump spins off, radiator damages, headgasket blows, all while an unshakable grin of you watching how retro your rig is. Just kidding!!! Awesome rig

Ha! Yeah, yeah... the OEM label was removed before reinstalling the radiator. Just took the pic before I did that. ;)

That said, as a Middle East rig I really should have left it on there. Over there they like to leave all part labels, and even some parts wrapping, intact upon restoration. =)

You know the adage... "while you're this far in..."? Well, I hit that in spades.

I went ahead and pulled the crank pulley to replace the pulley key in the shaft.
329pulling.jpg

And I found a leak at the timing cover (both the seal behind the pulley and the seal to the timing plate).
330leaking.jpg

So ordered up the parts and got that sorted...
331newgaskets.jpg

And I had all the parts in hand to appropriately reroute my coolant return piping/hoses to go UNDER the AC belt. So time for all of that to go in...
332newreturnpipe.jpg

333newreturn.jpg

Time to mimic @rkymtnflyfisher ‘s “Accidental Frameoff”, Joel:cool:

Last edited:
Time to mimic @rkymtnflyfisher’s “ Accidental Frameoff”, Joel:cool:

Let's not be hasty now!

In keeping with a general clean up I washed the radiator and fan shroud up nice and cleaned out collected dust/dirt.
336cleanrad.jpg

When I did the restoration I installed an old-school looking manual heater valve into the head for future use on adding a heater. This lets me keep the heater circuit turned off during warmer months.
337headvalve.jpg

I also installed a bulkhead fitting that made passing the coolant lines through very easy. Here I've used some 45-degree fittings on the bulkhead to attach hoses too. The bulkhead and angle fittings are all from Old Air, the same maker as my heat/AC unit.
338bulkhead.jpg

I needed to make a bracket for the heater valve controlled from the dash. I had a nice piece of aluminum from a test cut I did for an old project on my 80-series.
339valvebracket.jpg

And mounted it up to one of the firewall supports. Adjusted and connected my heater pull. Plumbed with 5/8" Gates hoses and constant torque Breeze clamps.
340valvemounted.jpg

I did use OEM hose clamps where I connected to the block and return pipe.
341plumbed.jpg

Hardest part was probably installing the pulls in the dashboard. I had to disconnect the heat/AC unit and drop it down to fit up inside the dash. It's crowded up in there.
342pullcables.jpg

343dashpulls.jpg

And interior coolant lines installed.
344hoses.jpg

For the AC I replaced the drier bottle and expansion valve. I also flushed the entire system. This was somewhat precautionary, but it also ensures the highest performance from an AC install.

After ensuring everything was connected and cinched tight I vacuumed out the AC system and filled the coolant system.
345vacandfill.jpg

And buttoned up the front end re-assembly and charged the AC.
346charge.jpg

And back to cruisin'
347cruisin.jpg

Let's not be hasty now!

In keeping with a general clean up I washed the radiator and fan shroud up nice and cleaned out collected dust/dirt.
336cleanrad.jpg

When I did the restoration I installed an old-school looking manual heater valve into the head for future use on adding a heater. This lets me keep the heater circuit turned off during warmer months.
337headvalve.jpg

I also installed a bulkhead fitting that made passing the coolant lines through very easy. Here I've used some 45-degree fittings on the bulkhead to attach hoses too. The bulkhead and angle fittings are all from Old Air, the same maker as my heat/AC unit.
338bulkhead.jpg

I needed to make a bracket for the heater valve controlled from the dash. I had a nice piece of aluminum from a test cut I did for an old project on my 80-series.
339valvebracket.jpg

And mounted it up to one of the firewall supports. Adjusted and connected my heater pull. Plumbed with 5/8" Gates hoses and constant torque Breeze clamps.
340valvemounted.jpg

I did use OEM hose clamps where I connected to the block and return pipe.
341plumbed.jpg

Hardest part was probably installing the pulls in the dashboard. I had to disconnect the heat/AC unit and drop it down to fit up inside the dash. It's crowded up in there.
342pullcables.jpg

343dashpulls.jpg

And interior coolant lines installed.
344hoses.jpg

For the AC I replaced the drier bottle and expansion valve. I also flushed the entire system. This was somewhat precautionary, but it also ensures the highest performance from an AC install.

After ensuring everything was connected and cinched tight I vacuumed out the AC system and filled the coolant system.
345vacandfill.jpg

And buttoned up the front end re-assembly and charged the AC.
346charge.jpg

And back to cruisin'
347cruisin.jpg

Happy Toys, happy boys!!

Looks outstanding, nice work sir!

While I was working on my 40 an interloper appeared... it made for a beautiful scene in my garage.
348interloper.jpg

Way cool. Is that freeborn red? Looks awesome.

Way cool. Is that freeborn red? Looks awesome.

Yeah, freeborn red. I wasn't really a big fan of red 40's until we did this one up. Man, she's so pretty. Half of my family want me to sell mine and keep the red one. Ha!

I see OEM fog lights on the red one which probably indicates which market it's from.

Yes, one of my side-gig restorations for resale. We may not be doing OEM fogs on upcoming projects, they are mostly NLA in the Middle East parts supply chain now. This truck just sold actually. Gonna miss it... I like having multiple 40's around. Just can't afford to own multiple 40's.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom