Builds Found an Arabian FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think I'm mostly caught up now... the trucks are currently sitting in a container in Los Angeles Port. Word is they'll be getting delivered by end of this next week. I'm pumped!

Here's the 40 (and my recently acquired 75) loaded up in Abu Dhabi on March 23... the last time I saw her.

285shippingout.jpg

Last edited:
It's not the heat so much... it's the heat AND humidity! Being in AZ now it's so much different when it's dry.

This has been a very strange year. Not sure it's hit a 100° a third time yet. In the high country only been the last two days it wasn't below freezing at night. Think the heat is finally starting. But would still rather deal with this than the humidity in the eastern part of the country. Two hour drive to the north and you get relief from the heat.

Seb does amazing work... you won't go wrong. He's done two amazing Troopies actually.

And yeah, my helpers are part of the fun of owning the 40.

It's not the heat so much... it's the heat AND humidity! Being in AZ now it's so much different when it's dry.

Okay. Where did you snag that alarm clock? That is so cool! I love the flip-over numerals.

There are guys out there who nerd out on old Seiko and they could restore that for you. Neat watch man... what a great graduation gift.

I actually got it on Etsy! It came all the way from Malaysia new in the box from the 70’s. They pop up from time to time for sale. The model is a DP690T flip clock. Just make sure if you buy one that you use a step down transformer. These were only available in japan and they use 100V there vs our 110. If you use 110 on it it won’t keep time. Here’s one for sale on eBay, actually not a bad price at all. :)

My 40 (and my Troopy) finally made it!

097arrival.jpg

My younger boy ran out and gave the 40 a hug once I'd pulled it into the garage a bit.
286hug.jpg

And she fits nicely in the garage with my wife's 4Runner. I even have room to work at my workbench with both trucks inside.
287garaged.jpg

She needs a wash, a good waxing, and then it'll be off to find some dirt tracks... there's plenty to explore here in AZ.

My 40 (and my Troopy) finally made it!

097arrival.jpg

My younger boy ran out and gave the 40 a hug once I'd pulled it into the garage a bit.
286hug.jpg

And she fits nicely in the garage with my wife's 4Runner. I even have room to work at my workbench with both trucks inside.
287garaged.jpg

She needs a wash, a good waxing, and then it'll be off to find some dirt tracks... there's plenty to explore here in AZ.

Doesn't look like the troopy has a space in the garage. Hopefully figured that one out. Not sure how much plastics is on those and how it has survived in Saudi Arabia but Phoenix is a killer on plastic interiors if left outside.

This Troopy will be out in the driveway for the time being. It won't fit in my garage (even if I could convince the wife her car didn't need to be in there). And it's going to have a roof rack soon. I'm toying with getting a California Car Cover made for it. My 40 has never been garaged in Abu Dhabi... I kept it under a California Car Cover when not in use and it was fantastic.

My 2 cents on car covers and some weather/climate conditions. Doesn't apply to every situation, but some things to think about:

Had a nice expensive cover for outside use, elastic ends, tie-down, etc., and certain times when the wind blew hard, sand and fine dirt would get under the cover between the cover and the car, and the wind would whip the cover, puff it up, and it would flap against the paint. Slowly over time this would abrade the paint by scratching it with the fine dust and grit. Some areas of the car like corners would see a very fine "sanding" on the finish. While some of the Arabian sand can be very fine powder and maybe not be a problem or have a lack of wind, but if in a region where there is blowing dirt, grit, sand, perhaps a cover is not wise when a nice paint job is important.

In moist humid areas mold can develop under even the best "breathable" covers. Nothing is ever perfect, and short of having an enclosed garage, a cover can help. Just be cautious that there can be downsides in some cases, and maybe only use a cover at certain times and conditions.

My 2 cents on car covers and some weather/climate conditions. Doesn't apply to every situation, but some things to think about:

Had a nice expensive cover for outside use, elastic ends, tie-down, etc., and certain times when the wind blew hard, sand and fine dirt would get under the cover between the cover and the car, and the wind would whip the cover, puff it up, and it would flap against the paint. Slowly over time this would abrade the paint by scratching it with the fine dust and grit. Some areas of the car like corners would see a very fine "sanding" on the finish. While some of the Arabian sand can be very fine powder and maybe not be a problem or have a lack of wind, but if in a region where there is blowing dirt, grit, sand, perhaps a cover is not wise when a nice paint job is important.

In moist humid areas mold can develop under even the best "breathable" covers. Nothing is ever perfect, and short of having an enclosed garage, a cover can help. Just be cautious that there can be downsides in some cases, and maybe only use a cover at certain times and conditions.

All salient points. The 40 was covered in Abu Dhabi because I had no garage... and garages aren’t in affordable supply over there.

I had a very nice cover from California Car Cover. I washed it periodically and also drove the 40 frequently enough that things didn’t build up inside. I’d you’re gonna just let a covered car sit for long durations you’ll have problems with it building up stuff inside, no doubt.

The 40 will now be garaged. That’s for sure.

But the Troopy can’t be garaged where I am now... and once it has the roof rack it’ll be hard to garage anywhere. So for now I’m toying with a cover. It’s not meant to be a beauty queen anyway... I had a quick and serviceable paint job done and it’s meant to be our family camping wagon.

But if I had my druthers I’d have more SF in my garage than my house. 😂

The truck is here in Phoenix with me now... drove it yesterday and nearly fried. The AC just can't keep up with 110 degrees outside... it's a giant sheetmetal box with no insulation. It's a morning/evening joy ride truck until fall sets in. Which is kinda of how it went in Abu Dhabi anyway. =)

Before coming back stateside I had the 40 out in the desert one last time over there. The whole family went and we took the 80-series as well. We meet up with around 25 other Land Cruiser owners of all generations... people and trucks.

My daughter insisted on riding with me in the 40 and I couldn't turn her down...
289copilot.jpg

We lined up all the cruisers for a photo op of course...
290lineup.jpg

There were quite a few there.
291cruisers.jpg

But then of course we had to line them up in ascending order by series... starting with the J4's...
292forties.jpg

The blue one is a sweet JDM BJ46 LX... and the white is a beautifully restored FJ43 native to the UAE.

After playing in the sand and getting ready to head back for Abu Dhabi I noticed I was critically low on gas. Oops!!! No worries, fuel delivery is a thing in the UAE.
293cafu.jpg

I even took home a nice door prize... oldest cruiser present.
294oldest.jpg

Few things stood out on the BJ46. Didn't have RHD, OEM fog lights, mirror are JDM and the most noticable it's blue. 40 series was almost all beige with some white ones mixed in. Was it a 83/84 with a five speed. Very few 40 series five speeds over surprises me. Seems anything they want they get. OEM fog light look to be standard as they all have them.

So what A/C are you running? Do not find a listing for stock A/C prior to.1/79.

Haven't followed this thread and did find the link for the A/C install. I was also surprised to see you have a FJ40LV-UC. Also mentioned a five speed at some point. Are you still planning on a five speed. Would have thought you would have popped in a four speed while apart. Wrecking yards would have had those on hand. Driveshafts and transmission cover would almost be a straight bolt in. Have a 73 FST plan on a four speed and possibly a Fairey Overdrive.

Few things stood out on the BJ46. Didn't have RHD, OEM fog lights, mirror are JDM and the most noticable it's blue. 40 series was almost all beige with some white ones mixed in. Was it a 83/84 with a five speed. Very few 40 series five speeds over surprises me. Seems anything they want they get. OEM fog light look to be standard as they all have them.

So what A/C are you running? Do not find a listing for stock A/C prior to.1/79.

I can't remember if the 46 had a 5-speed or not... I think so. Actually, the BJ46 is RHD. And all those fog lights are OEM... the 46 has JDM fog lights for the late 80's. I can't remember the exact year of his truck off the top of my head. It's really nice. PTO, OEM flare mounted in the footwell, etc. He's gone to the nines with keeping bringing it back to original.

Haven't followed this thread and did find the link for the A/C install. I was also surprised to see you have a FJ40LV-UC. Also mentioned a five speed at some point. Are you still planning on a five speed. Would have thought you would have popped in a four speed while apart. Wrecking yards would have had those on hand. Driveshafts and transmission cover would almost be a straight bolt in. Have a 73 FST plan on a four speed and possibly a Fairey Overdrive.

Yeah... I should have a 5-speed, or at least a 4-speed. When I did my truck I didn't have all the resources available to make that happen. Rather I didn't know that I did at the time. Were I to do my truck there today I know exactly where to get the right axle, 5-speed, and split case. But alas, I stuck with the 3-speed. It's not so bad actually. We rebuilt it, so it runs well. It hasn't stopped me from driving anywhere yet.

I can't remember if the 46 had a 5-speed or not... I think so. Actually, the BJ46 is RHD. And all those fog lights are OEM... the 46 has JDM fog lights for the late 80's. I can't remember the exact year of his truck off the top of my head. It's really nice. PTO, OEM flare mounted in the footwell, etc. He's gone to the nines with keeping bringing it back to original.

My 79 certainly won't be done to the nines but will be equipped with a number of non USA import parts. Not sure where I could source the factory rear fender flares. Front fender mirrors are more of a novelty on a 4X4. Okay in the desert but not in a forest.

Yeah... I should have a 5-speed, or at least a 4-speed. When I did my truck I didn't have all the resources available to make that happen. Rather I didn't know that I did at the time. Were I to do my truck there today I know exactly where to get the right axle, 5-speed, and split case. But alas, I stuck with the 3-speed. It's not so bad actually. We rebuilt it, so it runs well. It hasn't stopped me from driving anywhere yet.

Would be pretty simple adding a four speed. Once parts are collected would be a easy weekend project. A lot more involved in adding a fives speed. I would assume still being a J30 three speed first gear is non synchronized? I have a 70 FJ40 that still has the column shift. Fun to drive but it's also kept in the rural northern part of the state and just used on forest service roads in the area. Did take on the relic run last year and drove across Phoenix but that certainly wasn't a enjoyable drive. Not sure if you have driven a 40 series with a H42? That is a big upgrade from the J30. The budget to add a H42 is a fraction of a H55F. Same with the amount of work required. Been a lot of work collecting all the parts for the five speed. If you have deep enough pockets can sent it to a shop and get it back with a brand new 60 series H55F and transfer case. Hand brake has a few option. Next trip to the Middle East just pick up a 8/80+ FJ40/FJ43 rear axle then get it shipped over. Not sure if they all were full floating but they should be available. That to be is the best option.

My 79 certainly won't be done to the nines but will be equipped with a number of non USA import parts. Not sure where I could source the factory rear fender flares. Front fender mirrors are more of a novelty on a 4X4. Okay in the desert but not in a forest.

Those factory rear fender flares are actually stamped into the tub. You'd need to source a whole JDM tub.

Would be pretty simple adding a four speed. Once parts are collected would be a easy weekend project. A lot more involved in adding a fives speed. I would assume still being a J30 three speed first gear is non synchronized? I have a 70 FJ40 that still has the column shift. Fun to drive but it's also kept in the rural northern part of the state and just used on forest service roads in the area. Did take on the relic run last year and drove across Phoenix but that certainly wasn't a enjoyable drive. Not sure if you have driven a 40 series with a H42? That is a big upgrade from the J30. The budget to add a H42 is a fraction of a H55F. Same with the amount of work required. Been a lot of work collecting all the parts for the five speed. If you have deep enough pockets can sent it to a shop and get it back with a brand new 60 series H55F and transfer case. Hand brake has a few option. Next trip to the Middle East just pick up a 8/80+ FJ40/FJ43 rear axle then get it shipped over. Not sure if they all were full floating but they should be available. That to be is the best option.

I've not driven one with an H42... but I've driven quite a few with the H41. In the Middle East they all usually come with the H41. Also, the 8/80+ rear axles in the region don't always have parking brake apparatus. I've driven a 1984 model FJ40 from the Middle East that had a transfer-case mounted parking brake. The majority of them have this.

But you've got me thinking. You say it would be an easy weekend project...
I'd need to find an H42 and transfer case as well as a crossmember. I'd also need to get my driveshafts adjusted. Perhaps a bit more than a weekend but seems straightforward. Do you suppose my frame already has bolt holes for the crossmember?

Those factory rear fender flares are actually stamped into the tub. You'd need to source a whole JDM tub.

I've not driven one with an H42... but I've driven quite a few with the H41. In the Middle East they all usually come with the H41. Also, the 8/80+ rear axles in the region don't always have parking brake apparatus. I've driven a 1984 model FJ40 from the Middle East that had a transfer-case mounted parking brake. The majority of them have this.

But you've got me thinking. You say it would be an easy weekend project...
I'd need to find an H42 and transfer case as well as a crossmember. I'd also need to get my driveshafts adjusted. Perhaps a bit more than a weekend but seems straightforward. Do you suppose my frame already has bolt holes for the crossmember?

I was thinking cut with a sawzall then welded in.

Only short and mid wheel base got the hand brake on the rear axle. All long wheel base 8/80+ it remained on the transfer case.

As for a weekend project was thinking parts on hand. That included bellhousing and driveshafts. If you used a H42 from one made before 8/80 could use current motor mounts. Some have even used later transmissions with a split transfer case using the bellhousing motor mounts. If you use a transmission from one before 8/80 a few parts you can use you T case and hand brake setup. Even the correct transmission hump and boots could be sourced. There are those who have a problem and probably have everything needed just waiting for a cruiser like this FJ43 to come along. I'm not going to mention anyone in particular.

Actually, they are not stamped into the tub they are welded on secondary with spot welds and then bogged to remove the line. So if you were keen you could add them onto any Cruiser you wanted . Of course you would need to get the stamping but you get what i am saying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom