Fluid leak in engine bay (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If it really bugs you, might stick some UV dye in the coolant & see if it pops up outside the cooling system.

That’ll nail the coffin for ya, whichever way it turns out.

Once you buy a UV flashlight you find it makes quick work of diagnostics, automotive or pet-related :cautious:
(bought mine b/c I was blaming my dog, turns out I have bold rabbits at night) - they pee on the deck & the dog knows better.

The slime definitely has a green shine to it, so I guess it could be coolant mixed with Woolwax.
The fact that it's all over the shock tower, frame, etc was a pretty good tell. I'd be willing to bet it's all over the underside of the vehicle.

The fact that it's all over the shock tower, frame, etc was a pretty good tell. I'd be willing to bet it's all over the underside of the vehicle.

I bet you’re right but with now even a ‘97 having 25yo plastic under pressure when warm, anything goes.

And I have ZERO experience with any of the rust mitigation fluids FWIW, so there’s that too.

I assumed the OP would have noticed this if it was on the vehicle when purchased, but who knows, you’re probably correct.

I assumed the OP would have noticed this if it was on the vehicle when purchased, but who knows, you’re probably correct.
The vehicle underside is coated with Woolwax and has been for quite a while but the slime in the picture is a new development within the past couple weeks.

The vehicle underside is coated with Woolwax and has been for quite a while but the slime in the picture is a new development within the past couple weeks.

UV dye.

I bet your 80 is pissed you choose a word VW ‘owned’ - the only time a VW doesn’t need work/parts is when it’s on a forklift going to the crusher. 😜

And that’s coming from someone who had 13 total as a kid.

(bought mine b/c I was blaming my dog, turns out I have bold rabbits at night)
Not to get too far off topic but how did you get the dog or the rabbits to drink the uv dye?

To the OP...whenever I get worried about some strange fluid. I start by changing the oil. Calms me down and i can at least sat each time...only oil came out of the oil pan.

How is the power steering fluid? Any chance there or any louder pump wine lately?

Lots of good info posted so far but......

Get a cheap pressure tester.

Pressurize your cooling system. First see if it stays pressurized or looses pressure. Than you know for sure if you have a leak or not in your cooling system. If it does leak than pressurize the system and you should be able to find the leak when it is under pressure.

Then it's most likely the seal where the top of your radiator meets the aluminum core.

These are known to fail when they start to turn brown. Mine literally exploded on the highway.

Get this checked and fixed sooner than later.

Wash down the engine bay with some Dawn Power Wash and a hose (try to avoid the distributor and other major electricals) then try to locate the SOURCE of the leaks. it's going to be towrds the front of the truck and may be both oil AND coolant since you're getting a creamy looking crud. it may be two leaks or more leaks of different types.
Thought would provide update if anyone interested. Washed the engine bay and so far the slime has not reappeared. All fluids remain normal level and appearance. At this point, seems like options are holding tight and see if happens again or preventative radiator/hose replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom