fj80 RADIUS ARMS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to correct aprox 6deg of caster on a 2.5" lift. slee not making them anymore and delta 8 weeks out.
two companies I am looking at as alt is BLACKHAWK and SUPPERIOR does anyone have these on their 80's? and how are they working?

A quick search turns up positive reviews
But they only offer 3* of correction it says.

A quick search turns up positive reviews
But they only offer 3* of correction it says.
I had seen that thread, what I read into it was Blackhawk is saying is you should end up with +3.5deg after a 3" lift. going to try and pm the guys that were waiting on them and see what their thoughts are.

This is still happening. It got sidetracked for a moment when I got the opportunity to buy another nice high production Makino machining center in January. We've got that all moved in and setup so things can settle back into normal. I planned to update the radius arm thread when I actually was working on it and could stage some photos of the progress.

So far what we have done is conclude that the accuracy of caster correction- Getting the appropriate amount for your setup without too much creating driveline issues, is dependent on actual caster measurements which you don't actually get with when you pay for a laser alignment. What you get is a theoretical calculated caster number and that number can be off from actual by a lot.

In the spirit of obtaining actual non-fiction caster numbers I came up with a cheap little stamped steel fixture which holds a $29 digital angle finder on your knuckle in precise enough concert with the kingpin angle to measure actual caster without. I figured I'd sell it about at cost to manufacture and give it a memorably cheezy name like Caster Master and then folks can easily put real numbers on their caster issue without spending several times more to get fictional numbers from a tire shop.

This is still happening. It got sidetracked for a moment when I got the opportunity to buy another nice high production Makino machining center in January. We've got that all moved in and setup so things can settle back into normal. I planned to update the radius arm thread when I actually was working on it and could stage some photos of the progress.

So far what we have done is conclude that the accuracy of caster correction- Getting the appropriate amount for your setup without too much creating driveline issues, is dependent on actual caster measurements which you don't actually get with when you pay for a laser alignment. What you get is a theoretical calculated caster number and that number can be off from actual by a lot.

In the spirit of obtaining actual non-fiction caster numbers I came up with a cheap little stamped steel fixture which holds a $29 digital angle finder on your knuckle in precise enough concert with the kingpin angle to measure actual caster without. I figured I'd sell it about at cost to manufacture and give it a memorably cheezy name like Caster Master and then folks can easily put real numbers on their caster issue without spending several times more to get fictional numbers from a tire shop.
count me in for one of your caster tools.. not sure I trust the align numbers the shop gave me. the springs from dobinsons were only supose to be 2.5" front and 2" rear.
after install with stock bushings and radius arms -2.8deg caster.. I did not check pre lift caster.
were you happy with the caster numbers with the black hawk arms?

In my opinion OEM radius arms are the superior choice as they are cast rather than fabricated. A lot of research went into making them. How many 80's were made using the OEM version?
Replaced my bent ones with OEM and would do the same again. If you have doubts; have an impact and tensile test made on OEM and after market replacements.
The OEM will beat them without fail.

In my opinion OEM radius arms are the superior choice as they are cast rather than fabricated. A lot of research went into making them. Replaced my bent ones with OEM and would do the same again. If you have doubts have an impact and stress test made on them and after market replacements. The OEM will beat them without fail.
OEM is no doubt good but they provide no caster correction other then offset bushing which I dont like or caster plates which again dont really want to go that route unless its a last resort.

In my opinion OEM radius arms are the superior choice as they are cast rather than fabricated. A lot of research went into making them. How many 80's were made using the OEM version?
Replaced my bent ones with OEM and would do the same again. If you have doubts; have an impact and tensile test made on OEM and after market replacements.

So you want a strength test of cast metal vs say a high end forged aluminum?

I don't think it will end how you hope.

I used a grinder to clearance the oem arms on my previous rig. I had to take 5mm off the top so they would clear my steering linkage.

I have spent countless hours behind an angle grinder and I can for sure say that the oem arms are not typical mild steel. They sparked liked high carbon steel when grinding and cut much slower than mild steel.

It would be interesting to know the metallurgy of the oem arms, I am not convinced they are cast unless they can cast high carbon type tools steels.

So you want a strength test of cast metal vs say a high end forged aluminum?

I don't think it will end how you hope.
Cast steel vs Aluminum. Are you a betting person? I think we are technical geniuses. Dangerous place to be.

I wholeheartedly agree, add to that if I bend another one it’s easily replaced with another OEM one from any junk yard or Cruiser enthusiast.
Just try to get a arm from Delta right now, I think there 6 to 8 weeks back ordered.
Same reason I run beefed up rear lower control arms !!

OEM is no doubt good but they provide no caster correction other then offset bushing which I dont like or caster plates which again dont really want to go that route unless its a last resort.
Been running landtank castor plates for over 6 years with out issue.

Oem is forged, not cast. Oem is fantastic, but useless with any lift.
Literally thousands of rigs around the globe running OEM arms and lift kits.

this question was simple is anyone running Black hawk or Supperior radius arms and what info you have on them.. JMAX is another company's radius arms I am interested in.
not opinions on oem arms caster plates how strong alum is over steel.
start another thread for all that stuff. this is why its so hard to go back through old treads trying to find specific answers to tech questions. you have to read 10 pages of non relivent post.. belive me if I could run factory arms without modifactions and get the caster a lifted 80 needs I would. caster plates are also good for some I just dont personally like them. I dont want to sound like a dick maybe to late but really I just want to hear about caster correcting radius arms. yes delta is my 1st choice but I am trying to find an option that does not take 8 weeks.. and Slee said they are not building them anymore..

It’s called a open Forum

Sorry for the high jack.

There are plenty of threads on mud on every subject with out starting your own and then bitching about people putting there two cents in!! Just saying ;)

Can't help you on the two options you are looking at but I can say I just ordered something from Australia and it took almost 6 weeks to get here. If those options are available state side already then that may not be an issue but if you have to get them through a port right now you might be in the same time frame as ordering the DVS arms.

Can't help you on the two options you are looking at but I can say I just ordered something from Australia and it took almost 6 weeks to get here. If those options are available state side already then that may not be an issue but if you have to get them through a port right now you might be in the same time frame as ordering the DVS arms.
Thats good to know.
for sure one of my concerns ordering from AU. Supperior said they have a set in transit now as well as black hawk but you never know..
thanks for your info on shipping.. one more reason to go with DELTA

update on arms,
after hearing 4-8weeks to get arms built from Delta which was my 1st choice, my race car fabricator said he could build me a set but that would slow down the other parts he is building for me so decided to give Superior Engineering from AU a shot.
I had a couple of emails with them sending my measurments to confirm correct arm for my lift. same day they got back to me with recomendation or the arm to use.
So I pulled the trigger and bought them. with shipping the arms were still less expensive then US built. Exchange rate is in our favor.
Before I could even ask for the tracking number the arms showed up at my door, could not belive I got them in lees then a week.. maybe I got lucky but I have to compliment Superior on their customer service for this one. I am extreamly happy with those guys. answered my emails and phone calls right away.. and then did exactly what they said they would no excuses or delays.
arms came with rubber OEM bushings, I had the old arms out and new ones installed in 1hr that night. perfect fit, test drove it and steering is back to factory feel. have not taken it to the alignment shop to confirm caster numbers but I can tell its good. took a measurement from the axle/arm mounts just to see how much it changed. Stock arms there was 0 deg with a digital level across the bottom of the mount. with the new arms it was 6 deg. these arems are really beefy for sure landing on a rock is not going to be a problem.. they are heavy for sure. as far as flex and unsprung wieght effects I wont know unitl I put it through its paces. the only thing I still need to solve is a good way to secure the ABS sensor wires that run down the arm. for now I just have them zip tied. I a supper happy with these arms, Superrior Engineerings quality and customer service.. from my 1st experince with them I would highly recomend that company for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom