FJ62 Transmission Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello there, looking for some help. I have an 89 FJ62. The transmission will not go into overdrive. No other issues other than that. Shifts smoothly, no leaks, fluid seems clean. However, the AT temp gauge immediately comes and stays on, even when vehicle is first started. Is it possible that replacing this sensor may solve my issues? Any advice appreciated. Thanks

I strongly doubt it. You likely need to look at a trans rebuild. The trans temp light is not intelligent. It's just a warning light.

I tried getting my A440F in the 62 to act right, multiple fluid flushes and other things.

Budget a rebuild from @orangefj45 or look at swapping to an H55F 5 speed manual like I did on mine.

Hello there, looking for some help. I have an 89 FJ62. The transmission will not go into overdrive. No other issues other than that. Shifts smoothly, no leaks, fluid seems clean. However, the AT temp gauge immediately comes and stays on, even when vehicle is first started. Is it possible that replacing this sensor may solve my issues? Any advice appreciated. Thanks
First off, do you have an AT cooler added? If not, that is one of the first things that you should add. These transmissions are very stout, but they can run hot. Adding the cooler helps a lot.

You're not getting torque converter lock-up when you hit 53mph (or thereabouts)? That's not good.

How many miles do you have on your transmission? It is original?

Have you pulled the tranny fluid dipstick to see if your fluid smells burned?

You can try a drive/drain/refill (x3), and then add the red bottle additive to see if that sorts things out.

I strongly doubt it. You likely need to look at a trans rebuild. The trans temp light is not intelligent. It's just a warning light.

I tried getting my A440F in the 62 to act right, multiple fluid flushes and other things.

Budget a rebuild from @orangefj45 or look at swapping to an H55F 5 speed manual like I did on mine.
Mine gave up the ghost and I ended up going with a Rodney special (kept the auto) from Georg.

Last edited:
Mine gave up the ghost and I ended up going with a Rodney special (kept the auto) from George.
I did the Rodney flush and tried the hat trick. That was just internal stuff.

If the a440f is whining on and off the throttle, it’s also got a lot of other areas to be have issues.

Check that your throttle cable is adjusted to spec. Besides swapping out the fluid or adding a friction modifier, it's one of the few things you can do to change the behaviour of the A440F.

1679339554520.png

You could also drop the pan and make sure that the oil strainer is clean. That would also allow you to look for evidence of damage (metal filings collecting on the magnets in the trans oil pan).

Hi, I bought a 89 FJ62 as well and I cant find information on the way the overdrive should work. I drove the car several times on the highway and the fastest Ill go is 65 MpH. How do I know the overdrive works or when it should work? Thank you for you help

You should feel the truck shift into OD right around the 50-53 mph mark...at least that's what mine always did, religiously. Several other 62 owners I know confirmed similar shift points.
The shift is very subtle to feel, but you can also watch the tachometer drop a couple tics when it shifts.

You should feel the truck shift into OD right around the 50-53 mph mark...at least that's what mine always did, religiously. Several other 62 owners I know confirmed similar shift points.
The shift is very subtle to feel, but you can also watch the tachometer drop a couple tics when it shifts.
Thank you. I will pay attention to the shift at that speed next time I take on the road. Another question. After driving perfectly fine for about 25 minutes on the highway, I got into slow traffic, and while I was stopped the AT temperature light came on and at the same time the brake light on the dashboard lit up. once I started moving both lights turned off and the car moved fine. This happened about four times while I was in the slow traffic. Any suggestions as to what happened. Thank you for your help

Thank you. I will pay attention to the shift at that speed next time I take on the road. Another question. After driving perfectly fine for about 25 minutes on the highway, I got into slow traffic, and while I was stopped the AT temperature light came on and at the same time the brake light on the dashboard lit up. once I started moving both lights turned off and the car moved fine. This happened about four times while I was in the slow traffic. Any suggestions as to what happened. Thank you for your help
Those lights, in that combination... that's probably "The Christmas Tree"... if so, your alternator is about to fail.

Did your battery light also come on?

Last edited:
Those lights, in that combination... that's probably "The Christmas Tree"... if so, your alternator is about to fail.

Did your battery light also come on?

Yes, the battery light also came on. Thank you so much. reading the other thread, it makes sense is the alternator. The battery is new but given that this happened at low RPMs it makes sense is the alternator. Thank you

Yes, the battery light also came on. Thank you so much. reading the other thread, it makes sense is the alternator. The battery is new but given that this happened at low RPMs it makes sense is the alternator. Thank you
You’re very welcome. It’s happened to me too… lol.

Let’s take a step back …..

Does your transmission shift into OD? What happens if and when it does?

Happy to help.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers
Stale thread, but my transmission light comes on intermittently even after I did a Rodney flush, added an 11 x 11 trans cooler, cleaned the strainer and replaced the pan gasket. It shifts fine, locks up around 51 mph reliably and doesn't behave weird aside from this stupid light. There wasn't a ton of junk in the trans pan when I cleaned it. As an aside, the light was on consistently (dull) until I replaced the neutral safety switch, which cleared up that issue. 187K miles.

I have a spare sensor that I'm planning to swap this weekend, any other input is very welcome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom