FJ62, master power window switch removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Simple question... How do I get it off without destroying it? I looked everywhere for similar questions asked. Couldn't find any, so guess I'm an idiot. I'm afraid of just pulling it out even though I assume it's snapped on to the door.

The FSM doesn't say anything about the master power window switch. It only shows how to dismantle the door with the manual window operating handle.
IMG_20171001_111351-1008x756.jpg

Responses appreciated, thanks a lot guys.

IIRCC the entire door panel needs to be removed and you access the entire switch panel from the inside/backside.

Yes,
Take the door panel off. Remove the screw that hold the grey housing for the door handle and slide it over the handle. Remove 2 crews that hold the arm rest in place and the GENTLY start popping the the door panel off. It helps if you have an upholstery tool for this but you can you your fingers and a large flat head screw driver. You will then lift the door panel up and over the door lock plunger. Once you do that, rich behind and unplug the electrical connections. At that point, removing the master switch will be easy. I would not try to do it without removing the panel, you will destroy it.

Hey guys, thanks for the replies! I took the door apart like you very thoroughly described. Thanks @fnpierce and @3_puppies and @86aggie. It was quite easy to access it once the plastic around the handle and the arm bar was off.
IMG_20171002_123204-1008x756.jpg
IMG_20171002_123211-1008x756.jpg
IMG_20171002_124742-1008x756.jpg
IMG_20171002_124522-1008x756.jpg
IMG_20171002_124934-1008x756.jpg

So the problem is, that my "window lock" button is broken. The guy that I bought the car from gave me a new button that I could install. But as I took the door apart, I discovered that the tiny metal flipper that is on the backside of the button is gone too. I probably won't have any luck finding a such one, so guess I'll make it myself. Does anyone have a picture of it?

Were you ever able to fix this properly or did you have to buy a new switch? I'm in progress of troubleshooting mine. Thx.

@MadMeak no unfortunately not. I soldered it so it's always un-locked. Didn't need the function that much anyway. To finish it off I glued the button on. Not a great fix, but it worked and looked good.

This is an absolutely outstanding series of posts. You guys continue to amaze me. Toyota wanted to charge me $452 to start...

Okay, so I got the part off of SwitchDoctor! It’s a perfect fit and solved most of my problems. The locks still don’t work. That’s fine. The front passenger window still doesn’t work. I’m guessing it’s the motor and the switch (because the switch is broken on that side)...but since the rest of the windows work from the new master switch, I’ve deduced it’s most likely that motor over there. Thoughts?

@22590FJ62 did you check the switch or the cables? Wouldn't be the first time that causes issues.
I’ll check the wiring to see. The wiring was pinched on the driver door. I made it a point to relocated the driver door wires for the new master switch so that they wouldn’t get pinched.

Even after re-wiring the switches in several different ways, I've come to the conclusion that power windows are overrated. Being that an FJ62 is basically an FJ60 with some upgrades, I'm considering pulling everything electric window-related and going back to old school manual windows. I'll start with the front passenger door and go from there. The driver door window works but it's really slow. The rear windows work when they want to but they seem to have a mind of their own.

Even after re-wiring the switches in several different ways, I've come to the conclusion that power windows are overrated. Being that an FJ62 is basically an FJ60 with some upgrades, I'm considering pulling everything electric window-related and going back to old school manual windows. I'll start with the front passenger door and go from there. The driver door window works but it's really slow. The rear windows work when they want to but they seem to have a mind of their own.
How did u solder it though my switch broke like yours I would just like to be able to use my windows tell I get a replacement piece

How did u solder it though my switch broke like yours I would just like to be able to use my windows tell I get a replacement piece
I didn't solder it, per say. I interchanged wire locations in the aftermarket harness. It still didn't function correctly. It may be the switch; it may be the regulators. Either way, I'm over fooling with it. I'll be transitioning to manual windows and will eventually install new 60-stlye door panels. My vehicle is a daily driver and I have no intention of selling her. She argues with me a lot, but she's a keeper.

Has anyone found a way to replace an individual switch, instead of the full assembly? I also have a busted window lock switch.

Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 11.37.03 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 11.37.40 AM.png

CRTX - did you ever get this fixed? I have same problem. I’ve read about soldering the 2 contact points together and the it’s ‘fixed’ in the unlocked position allowing you to use all windows but not allowing you to lock them, which is fine with me. Did you end up soldering them? Or replacing the switch?

Hey guys, thanks for the replies! I took the door apart like you very thoroughly described. Thanks @fnpierce and @3_puppies and @86aggie. It was quite easy to access it once the plastic around the handle and the arm bar was off.
View attachment 1548043 View attachment 1548044 View attachment 1548045 View attachment 1548046 View attachment 1548047

So the problem is, that my "window lock" button is broken. The guy that I bought the car from gave me a new button that I could install. But as I took the door apart, I discovered that the tiny metal flipper that is on the backside of the button is gone too. I probably won't have any luck finding a such one, so guess I'll make it myself. Does anyone have a picture of it?
Hey I know this is old thread revived. I’m dealing with this right now and I want to solder the 2 ends as you did. In your pics what exactly did you solder? Ty!

CRTX - did you ever get this fixed? I have same problem. I’ve read about soldering the 2 contact points together and the it’s ‘fixed’ in the unlocked position allowing you to use all windows but not allowing you to lock them, which is fine with me. Did you end up soldering them? Or replacing the switch?

Yes. My fix was replacing the full switch assembly. It's currently in color brown. I will SEM paint the trim grey to match the other interior pieces.

I also bought the switchdoctor one in brown and then SEM painted it, and then used Testor silver hobby paint to get the raised letters in silver. Not perfect on the lettering but a fairly fun / easy project and nice to have new fully functioning switch panel. Bottom one is the new panel obviously - a slight bit of overspray got past the tape job on one of the switches making it look a little used
master switch.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom