FJ60 Starting Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Mud Family!

Question for you all. My FJ60 has trouble starting (sometimes). This issue typically happens when the car has sat for a while but is not always the case. When I crank the motor, I will just hear a click and no cranking. I will have to be very specific with my key turn to get the motor to start to try and turn over. However, sometimes I can just crank as normal and it will fire right up.

Any ideas? Do I just need to clean some connectors? If so, where should I start?

Thank you!

Chris

Trip.jpg

Sounds like you need to clean the contacts in the ignition switch if you have to be specific with the key position to get it to crank.

Remove the negative battery cable terminal from the battery post and clean it all up. Sometimes the battery clamp can seem tight on the battery post, but the electrical contact is not good enough for the huge amp draw required from the starter.

There is some corrosion on the terminals, let me try cleaning it! Thank you!

Remove the negative battery cable terminal from the battery post and clean it all up. Sometimes the battery clamp can seem tight on the battery post, but the electrical contact is not good enough for the huge amp draw required from the starter.

If the above is done and you still have an issue then it's time to rebuild your starter or buy a new one.

Rebuild parts are FZJ80 parts and have been documented well.

I would start by cleaning the battery connections (at both ends) since it is free. After that doesn't work, I'm thinking starter contacts. And as Jim said, you can also replace the plunger while your in there (but in my experience it is typically the contacts). It's a one banana job.

Sounds like I will be cleaning my battery tonight, Ha! Thank you all! I will post an update.

These questions on intermittent start pop up often and it always boils down to

1- Starter
2- Weak/Bad grounds or Battery
3- Ignition Switch - NOT the thing the key goes into, but the electrical switch behind the key cylinder that turns with the key. Those contacts wear out after 20K on/off cycles and need replaced.

Cleaned the battery terminals. They were cleaner than I thought. I think the problem is a bit deeper.

7C00FBEF-DDD0-4547-9D95-4032DB257A90.jpeg

New Starters and Ignition switch are available aftermarket. The switch is NLA from Toyota, but I believe you can still get reman starters.

I personally would have my OE starter rebuilt locally with Denso parts.

Nice clean truck, btw. If I ever get mine repainted, that's my color!

Cleaned battery terminals last night. No improvement this morning. Moving to next solution; starter???

It's usally the coil circuit ground. Clean the coil cage hold own bolts, then attach a separate ground wire from a corner of the ignitor case to a solid ground on body or block.

check your alt wire now too, too much resistance incauses over voltage, and melting. Rotor can arc badly in the distrib too, so plan on new one next tune up.

It's usally the coil circuit ground. Clean the coil cage hold own bolts, then attach a separate ground wire from a corner of the ignitor case to a solid ground on body or block.

check your alt wire now too, too much resistance incauses over voltage, and melting. Rotor can arc badly in the distrib too, so plan on new one next tune up.

How does a ground at the coil keep the starter from turning the engine over?

It doesn't.

Click with no cranking generally means the starter. (or bad battery) You sure you have a fully charged battery?

I'd expect the starter honestly.

I drive this girl less than 2k a year. It very well could be a bad battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom