FJ60 Starting Issue (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You must be hard on starters :grinpimp:

Ok, team. Sorry for the hiatus! I was busy fixing other vehicles. Coincidentally, my semi-daily driver F250 had the starter go out which I replaced with a refurbished unit. Anyway, I thought I would post this video of the starting issue. It may give some better context to the issue and help resolve some of the mixed opinions in this thread! Ha!

*I do have the rebuild kit in hand, just need some time and warm weather...

With that click the 1st thing I would do is crawl underneath and inspect the wire & connection that goes to your solenoid. It's a small, maybe 16g wire that has a female connection. Pull it off and check that the wire hasn't fatigued and some of the wires haven't become broken. Also verify that the female spade connection is solid and that the spade itself fits tightly onto the male part of the solenoid. This will take you 5 mins or less.

Funny, My 60 just started to do something similar. Turning the key occasionally does nothing. When it happened to me sun morning I was able to use a screwdriver to jump the pos terminal on the starter to the "Start" post. and it started right up. Which makes me think it's a Ignition key or wire issue.

How reliable are the aftermarket ignition cartridges? And is the stock one able to be disassembled and cleaned?

Stock can be disassembled, but there are a half-dozen little springs and balls that want to escape, and even if you get them all back the same way they come out, it's the copper contacts that wear, and you can't do much about that - at least I can't.

It has been been a while since I've looked at what Ignition switches are available, but there used to be Japan-made aftermarket for the world market (I think OEM), which means you lose the buzzer for the key-still-in-the-ignition warning, if you have a 84-87 FJ60. Have no idea about reliability of the other aftermarket, but I've never read of any failures, either.

I hate buzzers ;)

Ok team, Happy New Year!

I was able to finally find time to pull my starter, I am almost certain this is the issue. I took the motor to a local shop and had them rebuild it with the parts I received a few weeks back. It is currently 10 degrees out and I dont feel like reinstalling the part tonight so this will have to be continued, however I think this was the issue. Check out the photos of the contacts and how worn they were. More to come!

*** Yes I know, there is cleaning to be done. Anyone know if I can put some kind of sealer around the ring of the starter before reinstallation?

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_9991.jpg

IMG_9998.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

Uber for you tonight.

It is important that when the the new contacts are installed they are flat to the plunger contact surface. When the copper nuts are tightened, they will want to rotate. This will cause uneven and accelerated wear. I typically use a block of wood to keep them flat. Don't over tighten. It's all copper.
Be certain that the bore of the solenoid is clean before assembly. It tends to get clogged with poop and old grease which impedes the movement. The shaft and spring of the new plunger should get a light coating of lightweight grease.

It is important that when the the new contacts are installed they are flat to the plunger contact surface. When the copper nuts are tightened, they will want to rotate. This will cause uneven and accelerated wear. I typically use a block of wood to keep them flat. Don't over tighten. It's all copper.
Be certain that the bore of the solenoid is clean before assembly. It tends to get clogged with poop and old grease which impedes the movement. The shaft and spring of the new plunger should get a light coating of lightweight grease.

Jon, thank you as always! I had a shop rebuild the starter. They gave it back to me in the same gunky exterior condition so who knows if they took the time to clean the internals.

I cleaned the starter when I got it back and installed tonight. Voila, PROBLEM SOLVED, MISSION COMPLETE! Thank you all for your help! I guess the culprit was worn starter contacts.

On a side note, the truck still takes its time turning over as in multiple cranks. Could be why the starter ended up wearing out. Any advice here? General tuneup or something more?

Also, this C clamp popped off when I removed the starter. Any idea where it goes? I was thinking it held a power cable to a bolt?

Thank you ALL!!!

7E33278E-20A5-4570-BCB9-453C9954CE80.jpeg

7BE6EF1F-3E3F-4621-B847-887034F3A281.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom