Novice FJ60 2F rebuild after the block was reconditioned. almost ready to start it... what have I forgotten? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IMG_1757.jpg

This was a few weeks ago. As of today I have everything back in. Just got to connect the hoses and cables, add fluids and prime the oil... I think.

I adjusted the rockers/valves to spec. Shop that did the block recommended Lucas 20-50 hot rod oil for the break in.

How soon should I re-tighten the head bolts?

Just worried about the things I don't know. What steps that I might have forgotten that could result in disaster?

My level of mechanical understanding is very basic, so if you comment please bear that in mind.

Many thanks to all in advance

If it’s been sitting a while you might want to double check the brakes before you take off. Mine has been sitting for more than a year with the engine out and I know for certain I need to do a brake job before I start rolling around again.

I would verify with the shop that built the engine on what break-in oil they want you to use, but Lucas make an oil specific for break-in. That first 20 mins is critical to seating of the rings and everything else. I'd use the 30wt. You will need a Vacuum gauge to see when the rings seat.

It's very high in anti-wear zddp, but you only run it for a short time, then drain, and refill with proper daily drive oil, like the Lucas Hot Rod.

There are some threads on Priming the oil circuit; you'll need to search.

Also, make sure your carburetor is working properly. Last thing you want is fuel washing the cylinder walls and preventing the rings from seating.

If it’s been sitting a while you might want to double check the brakes before you take off. Mine has been sitting for more than a year with the engine out and I know for certain I need to do a brake job before I start rolling around again.
Thanks for the advice - what part of the brakes do I need to check please? mine has been sitting since October IIRC

You may want to turn the motor by hand first. I once rebuilt an engine and the oil pick up tube was stabbed in wrong. I think it was getting hung up on the crankshaft. Would have been a double disaster ...no oil getting to the oil pump AND the oil pick up tube getting chewed up in the crank! Luckily I tried turning it by hand and when it locked up I knew where to look.

something else I've done is to remove the spark plugs and put a little 30wt oil in each hole and just crank a few times without spark plugs in. cranking with NO spark and NO compression just to get the rings and pistons moving and loosen them up and lube the cylinder walls.

You may want to turn the motor by hand first. I once rebuilt an engine and the oil pick up tube was stabbed in wrong. I think it was getting hung up on the crankshaft. Would have been a double disaster ...no oil getting to the oil pump AND the oil pick up tube getting chewed up in the crank! Luckily I tried turning it by hand and when it locked up I knew where to look.

something else I've done is to remove the spark plugs and put a little 30wt oil in each hole and just crank a few times without spark plugs in. cranking with NO spark and NO compression just to get the rings and pistons moving and loosen them up and lube the cylinder walls.
Thanks - I turned it by hand a couple of times already when I was adjusting the valves, seems to go OK.

I'll do that with the oil - have some 10W-30 left over. would that do?

Thanks - I turned it by hand a couple of times already when I was adjusting the valves, seems to go OK.

I'll do that with the oil - have some 10W-30 left over. would that do?
Some 10W-30 would be fine.

Update - started it today. Tried to time it with a light gun, couldn't seen the BB in the window at all - what could cause this please?

Tried to take it for a drive around the block - died pretty soon. No fuel in the bowl. Put it away to sleep on it and come back to it when work allows.

Update - started it today. Tried to time it with a light gun, couldn't seen the BB in the window at all - what could cause this please?

Tried to take it for a drive around the block - died pretty soon. No fuel in the bowl. Put it away to sleep on it and come back to it when work allows.

Crawl under it and drop the cover on the bottom of the flywheel. Rotate the flywheel until you see the timing mark and BB. Paint them and they'll be easier to spot with the timing light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom