FJ60 rear hatch lock study (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

g-man

SILVER Star
Threads
I recently repaired an inoperable rear push button lock at the rear hatch of my FJ60. The reason it was not working was because the snap ring at the back was working loose from the lock housing (toyota calls this the "cylinder"). The snap ring holds the rear linkage in place, the rear linkage being the part with the plate that is held in place by the snap ring and the link above it that swivels and that the push button shaft engages with. The spring was not returning the push button and pushing the button didn't move the lever enough to pull the link and release the latch.

This is for FJ60 only and NOT necessarily for FJ62. Looking at the back of the push button lock you can see a snap ring hold the linkage plate to the cylinder. under the plate is the push button return spring and the push button shaft protrudes thru the center hole in the linkage plate and pushes the linkage. If you study this pic below you can see that the snap ring holes needs to be located in this orientation. (circled in red) /the solid piece protruding up from the plate will not allow the ring to be oriented unless it is in the space between the snap ring holes.

1695472225661.jpeg

If you put the cylinder through the hatch and secure it with the retainer (per FSM instructions) and try to install the snap ring the image in the FSM (shown below) shows the snap ring oriented to 9 oclock position. (edit: it is worth noting here that the entire cylinder with the lever attached can nearly be inserted into the hole in the rear hatch in one piece. Notice I say nearly. You chance bending the sheet metal and it is NOT how the FSM says to assemble) FSM assembly calls for inserting the cylinder through the hole and then using the snap ring attaching the linkage and rear plate.

There is a piece of sheet metal in the back of the hatch in between the service ports (notice to right of snap ring tool in FSM image below) that prevents a snap ring tool and your hand from centering the snap ring at the 12 oclock position like the image above. If you put the snap ring in at 9 oclock or any other position other than shown above then the small area circled in red has metal that will keep the snap ring from sitting in the groove on that wide leg to the right of the red circle.

I opted to take a cutting blade on an angle grinder and cut a small groove in the piece marked in blue in the last pic below, so the snap ring could fit into the wide leg and STILL be oriented to 9 oclock.

there is no E ring on my lock or the one pictured that I recently bought. So this may be for a different model. But the FSM referenced removing and E ring with a screwdriver.
1695472725636.png

One other thing worth mentioning if you have to wrestle with this...make sure the lever that contacts the push button shaft is flipped so that it will touch the push button shaft BEFORE you attach the snap ring if you are doing this install from inside your hatch. There is NOT enough clearance to flip it over if it's in the up position once installed. Also its a good idea to have another set of hands. The other person holding the flashlight. You will have your hands busy...one holding the plate and spring in place while the other works the snap ring tool.
rear hatch lock.jpeg

Last edited:
Also interesting to note that both my lock and the replacement I bought you can see wear or mushroom deformity in the end of the push button shaft where it engages the lever. The corrosion (cast aluminum I presume...magnet not sticking to it) on the cylinder makes them brittle and I had one of the legs break just above the snap ring groove from pressure of the push button. This rendered that leg worthless to hold the snap ring.

Nothing to ad except to say: this is why I'm on Mud. Love a good deep dive. Thanks @g-man for being an asset to the community.

I just took the same assembly apart in an attempt to pull the hatch tighter to the body, when closed. It was essentially the same on my 62. I didn't have to do any cutting, but it was a bear to hold the plate in, while trying to get the ring in place. First time I was getting to the end of the rope, before I got the ring in place, only to discover that I had not put the lever in the right place, so had to pull it apart and do it again. Not sure how, but the second time to install the snap ring was easier.

I recently repaired an inoperable rear push button lock at the rear hatch of my FJ60. The reason it was not working was because the snap ring at the back was working loose from the lock housing (toyota calls this the "cylinder"). The snap ring holds the rear linkage in place, the rear linkage being the part with the plate that is held in place by the snap ring and the link above it that swivels and that the push button shaft engages with. The spring was not returning the push button and pushing the button didn't move the lever enough to pull the link and release the latch.

This is for FJ60 only and NOT necessarily for FJ62. Looking at the back of the push button lock you can see a snap ring hold the linkage plate to the cylinder. under the plate is the push button return spring and the push button shaft protrudes thru the hole in the linkage plate and pushes the linkage. If you study this image you can see that the snap ring needs to be located in this orientation.

View attachment 3438013

If you put the cylinder through the hatch and secure it with the retainer (per FSM instructions) and try to install the snap ring the image in the FSM shows the snap ring oriented to 9 oclock position. There is a piece of sheet metal in the back of the hatch in between the service ports (notice to right of snap ring tool in image) that prevents a snap ring tool from connecting the snap ring in the center(like the image above). If you put the snap ring in at 9 oclock or any other position other than shown above then the small area circled in red has metal that will keep the snap ring from sitting in the groove on that wide leg to the right of the red circle.

I opted to take a cutting blade on an angle grinder and cut a small groove in the piece circled in red so the snap ring could fit into the wide leg and STILL be oriented to 9 oclock.

there is no E ring on my lock or the one pictured that I recently bought. So this may be for a different model. But the FSM referenced removing and E ring with a screwdriver.
View attachment 3438015

One other thing worth mentioning if you have to wrestle with this...make sure the lever that contacts the push button shaft is flipped so that it will touch the push button shaft BEFORE you attach the snap ring if you are doing this install from inside your hatch. There is NOT enough clearance to flip it over if it's in the up position once installed. Also its a good idea to have another set of hands. The other person holding the flashlight. You will have your hands busy...one holding the plate and spring in place while the other works the snap ring tool.

G-man

The. Snap Ring has a rounded side and a sharp type 90’ Angle side

Sharp end faces out twards inside of cab

DO NOT underestimate the RAW power of that lock exploding in your face or inside your tail gate !!

Full safety EYEWear is a must here and thin type Milwaukee skin gloves

I will be happy to face time you and walk you through the re-assy

It can be a total bear !!!

Matt

My snap ring did not have a rounded side. Other sides are flat. This is on a 60. Not a 62. And FYI...the 62 lock DOES have the E clip mentioned in the FSM step 4(b)

FJ62 or FJ60 NOS parts specimen tech pics G-man ?

FJ60
IMG_E0730.JPG

FJ62

Cylinder 02 - Inside Hatch 01.jpg
Cylinder 03 - Inside Hatch 02.jpg

FJ62 or FJ60 NOS parts specimen tech pics G-man ?

FJ60
View attachment 3448011

FJ62

View attachment 3448015View attachment 3448016
The 60 lock you pictured needs the lever to be flipped over. You need to pull the snap ring and flip the lever plate over so the flat part of the lever can contact the end of the push rod at the back of the cylinder. Good pics and you can see the E clip on the center of the push rod in the last 62 lock image.

One other thing worth mentioning is that the 62 lock although it locks with a remote you cannot tell it is locked simply by looking at it from the back of the vehicle. The slit in the 60 lock that you put the key into will turn vertical when locked and horzontal when unlocked on the 60 but not on the 62. When I tried to go to a 62 lock I was never certain that the actuator had worked because I could not see it and didn't want to have to phyiscally test the push button every time I walked away from the vehicle ie...parking lots, shopping etc.

The 60 lock you pictured needs the lever to be flipped over. You need to pull the snap ring and flip the lever plate over so the flat part of the lever can contact the end of the push rod at the back of the cylinder. Good pics and you can see the E clip on the center of the push rod in the last 62 lock image.

One other thing worth mentioning is that the 62 lock although it locks with a remote you cannot tell it is locked simply by looking at it from the back of the vehicle. The slit in the 60 lock that you put the key into will turn vertical when locked and horzontal when unlocked on the 60 but not on the 62. When I tried to go to a 62 lock I was never certain that the actuator had worked because I could not see it and didn't want to have to phyiscally test the push button every time I walked away from the vehicle ie...parking lots, shopping etc.

that is a NOS oem lock , never taken apart ?

the lever is like a TRIANGLE inversion shackle on rear leaf springs and can be sorta interpreted like that

this is a FJ62 below

notice the cheap white plastic THINGY....

1696539609852.jpeg

1696539660571.jpeg

1696539484194.jpeg

1622199200907.png

1696539512488.png

FJ60

1696539465102.jpeg

144-003K-big.jpg

Comparison of BOTH :

1696539640674.jpeg

1696539632033.jpeg

Hi Matt ,Do you have more of this piece in your store, i'm very interested to "upgrade" my HJ60 with power lock, but P.O has downgraded that piece, i don't know why, but power solenoid it's still working...regards!

as a Certified TOYOTA Master Lock and Key Technician , i have many many land cruiser Lock , Cylinder , and tumbler parts in my collection of inventory ,

- please be much more specific on exactly what and which " UPGRADE " HJ60 power lock parts you require , in-particular ?

- maybe use the my below technical and tutorial images , take RED INK and circle the needed parts , i can then study this and reply back in a MUD PM further details and such ....

- this whole 8/80 - 1990

60 , 61 , 62 rear back hatch lock cylinder , both POWER -Actuated and Manual-Type , can be extremely confusing , and super higher then normal technidcal , especially now that ALL related parts are NLA / DISC. GLOBALLY
- ALERT : the Drivers Side Front Door 69052-90A06 Lock Cylinder 8/80-1990 ALL 60 sereis Everything was Just Disc . / NLA this past Tuesday @4:20 PM E.S.T. ..
- This really sucks , makes me frustrated ,,,,BAD TOYOTA , BAD ! :confused:

i am expressing my feelings on this matter openly here too ! :mad:
DSCN0003 - Copy.JPG

Matt, this is an image of your 60 lock. Are you able to flip the part circled in red over to the back of the cylinder?

View attachment 3448165
@ToyotaMatt did you study this image. The circled in red part needs to be able to contact the push rod coming out the back of th cylinder. I'm almost certain you need to pull the snap ring and turn this over and reinstall the snap ring. AND for those of you installing this in your hatch you should flip the flat red circled piece so it is close to the push rod BEFORE installing the snap ring. If you don't you may find you don't have enough room to flip the lever over because of the metal in the hatch being in the way!

@ToyotaMatt did you study this image. The circled in red part needs to be able to contact the push rod coming out the back of th cylinder. I'm almost certain you need to pull the snap ring and turn this over and reinstall the snap ring. AND for those of you installing this in your hatch you should flip the flat red circled piece so it is close to the push rod BEFORE installing the snap ring. If you don't you may find you don't have enough room to flip the lever over because of the metal in the hatch being in the way!

YES !

i did in great detail too ...

i have a short tech-video on this topic , because much like the original RUBIX CUBE , you do not need to take it apart all over the floor , and snap all the matching pieces back the way they should be ....

- this is gonna be a good technical breakdown LOCK & KEY T-TEN TECH. time here , stay tuned ......
:D

1699945107316.gif

1699944793415.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom