FJ40 Tailgate Hinge Variations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kevos37

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
I noticed some tailgates have 2 holes on the hinge portion that bolts to the tub, I have also seen one hole (see picture).
What is the reason for the difference?

Cheers,
KevO
16976521772356118769180002593638.jpg

This is not OEM, this is an aftermarket product. The OEM version had two doors (left/right) with hinges on the outer edge.

Huh??

I have a 1975 factory soft top with a factory tailgate (that hangs on chains when down, or open) that looks pretty much exactly like the one in the OP's pic. (not sure about hinge pattern tho)

I noticed some tailgates have 2 holes on the hinge portion that bolts to the tub, I have also seen one hole (see picture).
What is the reason for the difference?

Cheers,
KevO
View attachment 3459318
Your latches look like they're OEM, but the hinges look aftermarket to me. I haven't seen them before, but I haven't seen everything.

Huh??

I have a 1975 factory soft top with a factory tailgate (that hangs on chains when down, or open) that looks pretty much exactly like the one in the OP's pic. (not sure about hinge pattern tho)
Yep, I may have spoken too soon. I understand they were very rare. Specter Off-road sells the retro steel aftermarket ones.

This is an OEM hinge on my 2/73 FST
0028.JPG

I show a hinge change 1/79. Years ago I bought this tailgate from a wrecking yard before a friend needs the hardware. At that time the only hinges available were the newer style which didn't met what my friend needed.
IMG_20190520_140949459.jpg

Here is two different OEM tailgates. The one on the left was off a 62 FST. Center channel is narrower.
IMG_1770.JPG

This black one is an OEM replacement still with the black primer.
20211031_141055.jpg

Yep, I may have spoken too soon. I understand they were very rare. Specter Off-road sells the retro steel aftermarket ones.
I checked SOR and did not find any reproductions. So far I've found one image showing the single bolt attachment setup.

1697731098329.png

I checked SOR and did not find any reproductions. So far I've found one image showing the single bolt attachment setup.

View attachment 3459988
There are two holes in that one. Just hidden because of the camera angle.

The repro's we make are 2 hole just like the factory but we have done ones with single holes or a shorter tab when we are doing a custom job and don't want to destroy the rear sill on the late model tubs.

Does anyone make those small barn doors for a 1980 FJ40? Or a tailgate?
Contact Mike @ www.metricoffroad.com
Tell him I told you to call, I'd be willing to bet he might have a couple of sets of good quality doors.
The tailgate is cool, but in reality getting into the rear is easier with the tiny barn doors, IMO

Few things about about using barn doors where ambulance doors were originally installed. The barn doors or tailgate will in the notch not against the back of the tub like they did originally. Eve using a spacer on the door part of hinge the corner will not be rounded like 1/79+ ambulance doors. The US barn doors you loose the advantage over a tailgate. RHD barn doors the right door opened without opening the spare tire carrier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom