FJ40 Headliner Installation (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Best to let it sit flat for a few days or out in the sun. Also recently I tried a 3M product called Super 77 as an adhesive and although I was told it works great, it did not. The headliner was falling down the next day and I had to do the job over again. Use 3M headliner on fabric adhesive. Apply it liberally. Read the instructions on the can.

I see the 3M 77 and 90 at Lowes/Home Depot. I ran out of the DAP product Cruiser Corps sent me with the headliner, so I am torn between trying to find some more DAP, or trying the 3M 90. Do you have any experience with the 90?

I see the 3M 77 and 90 at Lowes/Home Depot. I ran out of the DAP product Cruiser Corps sent me with the headliner, so I am torn between trying to find some more DAP, or trying the 3M 90. Do you have any experience with the 90?
I i've never used the 90 but if I were you I'd get the dAP

@overton I need your opinion - the cap on a project I acquired has been LineX'd. Should I go ahead and install the headliner I have in my stash. The liner looks great so I am torn...

@overton I need your opinion - the cap on a project I acquired has been LineX'd. Should I go ahead and install the headliner I have in my stash. The liner looks great so I am torn...

If it were me and the inside of the cap was LineX in white or off-white, I would not install the headliner unless your going for a perfect restoration on a rare Cruiser like a 1983. If it was black LineX, hmmmm.... makes the cruiser kinda dark. I might do it.

White Linex - problem solved.... Thanks!

I found out where I can buy some locally.

Cruiser Corps is still selling this for their 40 headliner installs, so I hope that is a testament to any customer feedback they may be getting. I found it locally for <$8/can.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1439843530.736271.jpg

Very nice. I'd go with CruiserCorps too

As nice as this one came out, I would stlil do white monstaliner. The results are awesome. Then I'd put led strips around the edges. As much as I like pure stock, I really like this mod.
Two questions:
How did you connect your LED strips? I like the idea.
Where did you get your top/cap repainted (do you recommend them)? I'm in San Jose
Thanks,
jd

If it were me and the inside of the cap was LineX in white or off-white, I would not install the headliner unless your going for a perfect restoration on a rare Cruiser like a 1983. If it was black LineX, hmmmm.... makes the cruiser kinda dark. I might do it.

Depends on where you're from... we got 40s till 84. 83s aren't that rare.

I like the look of the leds, I'm going to watch for them at Costco... Stock cruiser interior lights were mediocre at best... and I've not had one... EVER. A 3D MagLite has been doing the job for years... and as it's warped housing can attest to, it'll help in other ways in a pinch. I kinda feel bad for one of the kids I hit with it, but that's what he gets for jumping one person (with 8-10 of his buddies).

I used the HitLights from their site or Amazon for my pickup's bed topper . It's a bit of a learning curve to splice the ends of the led strips but overall not a hard job . All mine are soldered but they do sell specific splice plug setups the link the strips together . Be warned , they must lay in a flat , straight line or you risk cracking the copper SMD electronics backing strip over time . This is the reason for splices , just use those for corners and jump over them . I've got about $45 in the topper project including two 300 per 5 meter strips (low density), a few power plugs and a dimmer rated for the load . Pay attention to the draw rates , generally the low density 3528 led chips draw 1.5 watts per foot and are the narrowest available - the 5050 strips are super bright and twice the width . If you plan to run a dimmer , make sure it's rated to handle the total wattage of what you end up installing in total feet of length . Each 5 meter strip is the limit you can run in length - in other words , if you run multiple rolls each roll has to be fed the 12v power separately . Otherwise , the first strip cannot carry enough wattage to power the second one and may burn out . On the topper project , I just fed the two strips at a central point so each has a full 12v supply point . It's also worth noting that these strips get very slightly dimmer at the far end , just the nature of voltage drop vs length of run .

On a roof cap , I'd split the distance in half and use either side-firing leds (single density 3528smd is plenty bright) or use the standard firing 3528smd's and let it reflect off the cap if it's coated in bed liner material or Lizard Skin type coatings . You just need a nice , flat run to put the strips into , not all too sure the channel would work since the bolts/nuts would be in the way - probably the surface towards the outside edge of the glass top above those bolts/channel , facing inward . If the surface is rough you may have to use additional mounting tape that is thicker for rough surfaces . A lot of stuff to consider for this type of project , but none of it is too difficult to learn - this old guy did it and got it right the first time .

I can post up some pics if you like - there are a ton of ideas out there on the 'net . My Cruiser has several 1 watt led's fixtures that are sort of a wide pattern led flood . When you open the door at night - it's a bit too bright but also lights up the area around the rig on the ground , lol .

Sarge

The material does not come in a wide enough width to go side to side or end to end in one width (without a seam).

Two questions:
How did you connect your LED strips? I like the idea.
Where did you get your top/cap repainted (do you recommend them)? I'm in San Jose

I haven't done either myself. I was just offering opinions. I'd connect the LED strips to the power wire for the dome light and put a switch somewhere around where the dome light is, maybe wire right to it?

For the top, I'd start with a boat shop. They would be more familiar with dealing with the original gel coat. It's probably worth your effort to get it done in the valley rather than right around here. It will probably be cheaper.

Great thread, but one question @overton exactly what spray adhesive did you use for your headliner?

Thanks again Greg

@overton do you remember how many spray cans of the 3M adhesive to do a FJ40 headliner ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom