73 FJ40 Won’t Start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello. Been searching through forum for similar problem and found close but not exactly my issue….. tested starter, new battery, and yes it has gas:) and will not turnover.

It has sat for a month. Jumped it and let it run for about 5 minutes. Drove it 5 blocks from the house and it died. Tested battery and it was bad so replaced it. Still won’t turnover. Starts to, but won’t. Here is where I have not found similar issue….. Once I let off key it briefly sounds like it wants to turnover but nothing.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Going to drink a beer and think on it

Thanks

Not turning over - starter solenoid or the starter. Could be the ignition switch has gone bad. Check that connector contacts are clean and tight in that old plug. Use a set of jumper cables carefully right to the starter to test it. Check your battery cables to make sure they are gripping the battery posts correctly.

Thanks guys for the troubleshooting tips! Going to tackle it in the AM. I will report back when I find the cause.

+1 for checking your heavy gauge electrical connections.
Do you hear the solenoid clunk?

Could also be the starter bound up on the ring gear - try rocking the truck back and forth while in gear, or a stuck brush in the starter motor - give it a gentle whack.

Hello. Been searching through forum for similar problem and found close but not exactly my issue….. tested starter, new battery, and yes it has gas:) and will not turnover.

It has sat for a month. Jumped it and let it run for about 5 minutes. Drove it 5 blocks from the house and it died. Tested battery and it was bad so replaced it. Still won’t turnover. Starts to, but won’t. Here is where I have not found similar issue….. Once I let off key it briefly sounds like it wants to turnover but nothing.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Going to drink a beer and think on it

Thanks

Your description of the problem is vague. What do you mean by "will not turnover"? Do you mean it won't start or it won't crank/turnover/spin?

Difficult to articulate….. it sounds like it is about to “turnover” but never does…..makes that RRRAAAARRAAARRR” sound that’s it.
Man I really need to bone up on my auto jargon

Have the battery load tested at like Autozone for free, yes even new batteries can go bad. Your cable clamps are clean inside and tight. Battery checks out good - Put the truck in neutral and use jumper cables right from the battery to the starter (ground clamp on the starter bolt and touch the other lead to the + terminal on on the starter if the starter cranks the motor - then go check the fuses and the ignition switch. They go bad, and I had Ig switch melt down in Elsie and catch fire. $55 and clean the contacts in the plug too. Had a head light switch short out too.

Sounds like it's "turning over." Where the starter is engaging the flywheel and spinning the engine "over." That should be the RaaaRaaaaRaaaa sound you are hearing.

It sounds like it's not "catching" or "firing" or "starting." Where the engine is successfully igniting the fuel/air mixture in the cylinders.

The few issues it could be:
Spark
Fuel
Air
Compression

Find out which one you are lacking and then backtrack to where the system has broken down.

Lots of pages here with tutorials on how to test for each of the above. Just requires opening the hood and putting in the time..

Good luck.

As a quick check, is your carb idle solenoid functioning properly? That will cause a hard start scenario and it's an easy check/fix. It may have simply gotten unplugged.

If you open the hood and turn the key to the start position, then you see the big fan ( like an aeroplane propellor) at the front turning round?

You replaced the battery because it was "bad" - how did you establish this? Have you tried charging it with a charger?

You jump started it initially, so I'm thinking maybe the battery was so flat that the alternator has overloaded a wire trying to recharge it, and in doing so has somehow cut power to your coil.

Check all your fuses are OK.
Look around in the engine bay for melted wiring, especially near the ignition coil and alternator (Google these if you're lost).
Buy a Volt meter, and check for 12V at the coil and alternator.

Does everything else work? Lights, horn, etc.

Difficult to articulate….. it sounds like it is about to “turnover” but never does…..makes that RRRAAAARRAAARRR” sound that’s it.
Man I really need to bone up on my auto jargon
Have the battery load tested at like Autozone for free, yes even new batteries can go bad. Your cable clamps are clean inside and tight. Battery checks out good - Put the truck in neutral and use jumper cables right from the battery to the starter (ground clamp on the starter bolt and touch the other lead to the + terminal on on the starter if the starter cranks the motor - then go check the fuses and the ignition switch. They go bad, and I had Ig switch melt down in Elsie and catch fire. $55 and clean the contacts in the plug too. Had a head light switch short out too.

What @charliemeyer007 said. The RRRAAAARRAAARRR sound, if articulated correctly, sounds like a dead battery or bad connection. Also what @45Dougal said, do you have headlights, etc.?

Do you have someone who can give you push and bump start it?

You will need to break the starting requirements down into each component as mentioned earlier. Otherwise, you will start throwing money at a problem that doesn’t exist. If the truck turns over, engine cranks, I like to start with spark. Google checking for spark — it’s easy.

Others have their own approaches, but this is a step by step process. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom