Trouble starting 1975 Fj40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Seafoam is a cleaner for the fuel system and oiling system. How old is that DUI? Do you have a tach connected? If so, is it steady or any needle jumping, flickering?

It's a cleaner for your fuel system. I have john deere mower that was missing at idle. I took out the carb and dipped in carb cleaner put it back together and it still an issue idle. I should of poured seafoam in the tank instead. Seafoam fixed my idling issue. I have several experiences where seafoam came to rescue. It may or not help but if you never done this it's worth trying, not going to hurt it.

Last edited:
I’m not familiar with what Seafoam does, but will try it if you think it would help.
Seafoam helps stabilize ethanol gas and can clean out deposits in the fuel system.
I prefer it.

Are sure all sparkplugs are firing? The fuel fills the entire sight glass is definitely not right. You could very possibly have a couple of issues. Do the easy stuff. Good luck.

If the fuel level rises, then the inlet needle valve may be leaking.

It is possible that the engine is flooded when you try to restart the engine. Carbs are notorious for having problems with "reformulated" gasoline causing them to leak fuel into the intake manifold and flooding the engine.
To test this possibility, do the flooded start routine:

Push the choke all the way in (open). Hold the gas pedal to the floor and do not pump it. Crank the engine and then let off on the pedal if / when it starts.

Seafoam is a cleaner for the fuel system and oiling system. How old is that DUI? Do you have a tach connected? If so, is it steady or any needle jumping, flickering?
DUI is of unknown age. I have had this 40 for 6 years and it was on the blown engine that came in the 40. A replacement 2F engine came with the purchase and we transferred the DUI over to that replacement motor. My guess is that the DUI is probably 8-10 years old. I don’t have a Tach connected so can’t answer those questions.

It's a cleaner for your fuel system. I have john deere mower that was missing at idle. I took out the carb and dipped in carb cleaner put it back together and it still an issue idle. I should have poured seafoam in the tank instead. Seafoam fixed my idling issue. I have several experiences where seafoam came to rescue. It may or not help but if you never done this it's worth trying, not going to hurt it.
Thanks, will give it a try to see if it helps.

Seafoam helps stabilize ethanol gas and can clean out deposits in the fuel system.
I prefer it.
Thanks, I’m going to try it out.

If the fuel level rises, then the inlet needle valve may be leaking.

It is possible that the engine is flooded when you try to restart the engine. Carbs are notorious for having problems with "reformulated" gasoline causing them to leak fuel into the intake manifold and flooding the engine.
To test this possibility, do the flooded start routine:

Push the choke all the way in (open). Hold the gas pedal to the floor and do not pump it. Crank the engine and then let off on the pedal if / when it starts.
Thank you, I really appreciate your advice. I am currently reading through a bunch of your other carb advice threads and watching your YouTube series on rebuilding the carb. I may find the courage to try a rebuild.

I will try the flooded start routine to see if that works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom