Fj40 dash lights, bulb upgrade (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ40Mitchell has the bulbs spot on. I just replaced mine with those bulbs and they are the perfect upgrade for my 73 FJ40. Word of warning though, I spend many-a-hour cleaning every part of the dash cluster including the odometer. None of it had been touched in years(Lots-o-years). The odometer now works perfect and the lights are perfect for night time driving, and I am very picky about my dash lights at night.

Good luck to all.

These are the bulbs I ordered from Superbrightleds.com.
View attachment 1274927

They are all the right sizes for my 1973 FJ40, although I can't comment on if I got the brightness right, as I haven't tested them yet (truck is in pieces). Going down the list, this is where I will install them.
Blue one: High beam indicator
2 Green ones: turn signal indicator
2 Warm white: instrument panel housing lights
The three Festoon Base bulbs of varying brightnesses are for under the dash and the dome light, I got an extra so I can experiment with the brightnesses a bit.
The red one is for the parking brake indicator light.
The cool white is for the light in the headlight switch.

Again, these are the right sizes for me, but I'm not sure if they're the right brightness yet. But it's a good starting point.

How did these turn out? which bulbs did you decide to go with? do you have any before/after pics?

View attachment 1274927

They are all the right sizes for my 1973 FJ40, although I can't comment on if I got the brightness right, as I haven't tested them yet (truck is in pieces). Going down the list, this is where I will install them.
The three Festoon Base bulbs of varying brightnesses are for under the dash and the dome light, I got an extra so I can experiment with the brightnesses a bit.

Again, these are the right sizes for me, but I'm not sure if they're the right brightness yet. But it's a good starting point.

For those of you with trucks after 1975 and looking for LEDs check out post #142:

Light bulbs for Land Cruisers

Haven't tried them myself but look correct for my 1976 wedge type bulbs

For those of you with trucks after 1975 and looking for LEDs check out post #142:

Light bulbs for Land Cruisers

Haven't tried them myself but look correct for my 1976 wedge type bulbs

I ended up using these LED bulbs to illuminate the gauge cluster (it took a few tries to find the right fit/dimensions) https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...ge-retrofit-car/1728/4112/#tab/Specifications
Screen Shot 2017-10-29 at 7.07.00 PM.png

and it looks SO much better! (I forgot to take a before picture with the stock bulbs but just imagine a photo of a black square or close your eyes)
IMG_5810.JPG

I replaced the high beam and turn signals as well with lower lumen (and cheaper) LEDs and the results were much less impressive, although improved from stock. These were the bulbs I used for turns/high beams: Ultra Bright 1 SMD (3 LED) Bulb 194 T-10 Wedge - Super Wide Angle

Last edited:
How many to do a cluster?
i replaced all the bulbs in the cluster however, the bulbs pictured were only used for the 2 white illuminating bulbs. i changed out the other bulbs (1 blue high beam, 2 for turn signal green arrows) with the cheaper, not as bright type. links provided in my previous post.

@NovemberNoLast ... Did the instrument bulbs fit OK without removing the shrouds? Also... do the blinkers work correctly?

Thanks

Thanks brother!

View attachment 1274927

So, Now that you have had these lights installed in the dash cluster what are your thoughts? Great idea, make a slight modification if done again or great idea you're a super genius? I have no dash lights currently in my 75 and need to get them replaced.

Thanks

S34

So, Now that you have had these lights installed in the dash cluster what are your thoughts? Great idea, make a slight modification if done again or great idea you're a super genius? I have no dash lights currently in my 75 and need to get them replaced.

Thanks

S34

Unfortunately our 40 restoration is still in progress, as it has been for coming up on 3 years. Our body guy should finally be getting it wrapped up in the next couple of months, but I've been saying that for 2 years... Hopefully I'll have a reason to become regularly active again on this forum when that happens. And I'll try and post an update regarding the LEDs. In general SuperbrightLeds is a good company to deal with and has a good website where you should be able to find what you need. And they take returns for what doesn't work.

I ended up using these LED bulbs to illuminate the gauge cluster (it took a few tries to find the right fit/dimensions) 194 LED Bulb - 6 SMD LED Tower - Miniature Wedge Base | Super Bright LEDsView attachment 1564704
and it looks SO much better! (I forgot to take a before picture with the stock bulbs but just imagine a photo of a black square or close your eyes)
View attachment 1564705
I replaced the high beam and turn signals as well with lower lumen (and cheaper) LEDs and the results were much less impressive, although improved from stock. These were the bulbs I used for turns/high beams: Ultra Bright 1 SMD (3 LED) Bulb 194 T-10 Wedge - Super Wide Angle

Like November above....the Superbrite 194 LED Bulb - 6 SMD LED Tower - Miniature Wedge Retrofit was the bulb of choice for my gauge cluster.

i replaced all the bulbs in the cluster however, the bulbs pictured were only used for the 2 white illuminating bulbs. i changed out the other bulbs (1 blue high beam, 2 for turn signal green arrows) with the cheaper, not as bright type. links provided in my previous post.

Since having installed the cheaper bulbs for the signals and high beam, are you satisfied with the output or are they just so-so?

Like November above....the Superbrite 194 LED Bulb - 6 SMD LED Tower - Miniature Wedge Retrofit was the bulb of choice for my gauge cluster.

Cluster definitely turned out nice. I need to order some of these for my cluster. BTW, did you upgrade the bulb in the dash pad? Wondering how an LED bulb would do there if you don't already have one.

Since having installed the cheaper bulbs for the signals and high beam, are you satisfied with the output or are they just so-so?

Cluster definitely turned out nice. I need to order some of these for my cluster. BTW, did you upgrade the bulb in the dash pad? Wondering how an LED bulb would do there if you don't already have one.

Yep, installed LED in the dash pad & heater control light. Here is what my dash looks like at night, not over-powering. I think I used these > click here <.

IMG_2199.jpg

@GA Architect - Thanks for the info. I'll pick up those up. BTW, did you also use the Superbrite 194 LED Bulb - 6 SMD LED Tower bulbs for the turn signal and high beam bulbs? If so, do you feel they're too bright or doable?

@GA Architect - Thanks for the info. I'll pick up those up. BTW, did you also use the Superbrite 194 LED Bulb - 6 SMD LED Tower bulbs for the turn signal and high beam bulbs? If so, do you feel they're too bright or doable?

For my gauge cluster:

2 of these for the cluster illumination:
194 LED Bulb - 6 SMD LED Tower - Miniature Wedge Retrofit

3 of these for the turn signal & high beam illumination:
194 LED Bulb - 1 SMD LED - Miniature Wedge Retrofit - Cool White

I upgraded the bulbs both in my gauge cluster, dash pad and heater control knob this past weekend on my 1976 40.

I did however, use a slight variation for the turn signals- I bought a pair of 194 5 SMD LED tower bulbs in green. (Went with the 5 model as it's one less diode than the 6, so it's not as bright as the 6). These bulbs put out a nice, rich green amount of light. Granted, they're bright at night, but that's ok...it helps a lot during the day. I tried the cool white bulb, but the light output had a faded, aged appearance to it.

For the high beam indicator, the cool white bulb is perfect.

**JULY 2021 UPDATE BELOW**

Here's what I installed in my '76 40 (These should be the same for '73 - '84 FJ40s):

From SuperBrightLEDs.:

Cluster illumination (Qty 2):
194 LED Bulb - 6 SMD LED Tower - Miniature Wedge Retrofit
(comes in Cool White)

Turn signals (Qty 2):
194 LED Bulb - 5 SMD LED Tower - Miniature Wedge Base - Green

High beam indicator (Qty 1):
194 LED Bulb - 5 SMD LED Tower - Miniature Wedge Base - Cool White

Dash Pad (Qty 1):
DE3175 LED Light Bulb - (4) 3mm LED Festoon Bulb - 3022 Base - 30mm - Cool White

From Amazon:

Heater Knob (Qty 1):
LED 27mm Festoon Light Bulb (comes in Cool White)

Another Option for the Dash Pad Bulb and the Heater Control Knob Bulb:

Dash Pad

Heater Control Knob

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom