Fj40 dash lights, bulb upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I upgraded my gauge cluster lights this past weekend. You're right- much improved over stock.

I did however, use a slight variation for the turn signals- I bought a pair of 194 5 SMD LED tower bulbs in both cool white and green. (Went with the 5 model as it's one less diode than the 6 so it's not as bright as the 6). The cool white bulb was ok, but gave the light a faded, aged appearance (exactly what I didn't want). The light had a faint blueish green tint to it.

The green bulb however, worked great. Gives the signals a nice, rich green appearance. Granted, they're bright at night, but that's ok...it's a big plus during the day. Before, my bulbs were so dim while signaling, it was difficult to tell if they were on or not.

For the high beam indicator, the cool white bulb is perfect. Of course superbrightleds.com is great. I've used them in the past and have always been pleased. Fast shipping too.

Here's what I installed:

Cluster illumination (2):
194 LED Bulb - 6 SMD LED Tower - Miniature Wedge Retrofit

Turn signals (2):
194 LED Bulb - 5 SMD LED Tower - Miniature Wedge Base - Green

High beam indicator (1):
194 LED Bulb - 5 SMD LED Tower - Miniature Wedge Base - Cool White

Dash Pad (1):
DE3022 CAN Bus LED Bulb - 18 SMD LED Festoon - 31mm - 90 Lumens

Heater (1):
3-SMD 29mm 6614F LED Bulb - Xenon Cool White
Any issues with the fit for dash light and heater light.?

Ordered the one for the upper dash pad mentioned earlier and was the wrong size. The one attached is the correct one. Thanks for looking into this @GA Architect!

E7C6E6FB-C874-4C76-AB13-1463B3263A19.jpeg

56B966BA-BA28-4AC3-92CF-63C712379AEA.jpeg

Got a pic of it in action? I just installed two OEMs in my 77 and they're pathetic.

Got a pic of it in action? I just installed two OEMs in my 77 and they're pathetic.
Better late than never, eh?

IMG_2199.jpg

After the Sniper install.
IMG_6707.JPG

Here are my LED light in the dash pad & heater control:
IMG_8551.JPG

IMG_8554.JPG

After talking with Rick more about bulbs, I found a bulb on amazon that corrects the fitment issues I had with my previous heater control knob bulb. Works well. I also picked up a similar bulb Rick and Cims are using in their dash pad. Found it on superbrightLEDs. I've since updated post #40 to reflect the bulb choices below. Thanks for the help Rick!

Dash Pad Bulb- DE3175 LED Light Bulb - (4) 3mm LED Festoon Bulb - 3022 Base - 30mm - Cool White

Heater Control Knob (Qty 1)- LED 27mm Festoon Light Bulb (comes in Cool White)

A bit more expensive, but as another option, Matt sells an LED bulb for both the heater control knob and dash pad for '73 - '84 40s on his site:

Dash Pad

Heater Control Knob

I upgraded the bulbs both in my gauge cluster, dash pad and heater control knob this past weekend on my 1976 40.

I did however, use a slight variation for the turn signals- I bought a pair of 194 5 SMD LED tower bulbs in green. (Went with the 5 model as it's one less diode than the 6, so it's not as bright as the 6). These bulbs put out a nice, rich green amount of light. Granted, they're bright at night, but that's ok...it helps a lot during the day. I tried the cool white bulb, but the light output had a faded, aged appearance to it.

For the high beam indicator, the cool white bulb is perfect.

**JULY 2021 UPDATE BELOW**

Here's what I installed in my '76 40 (These should be the same for '73 - '84 FJ40s):

From SuperBrightLEDs.:

Cluster illumination (Qty 2):
194 LED Bulb - 6 SMD LED Tower - Miniature Wedge Retrofit
(comes in Cool White)

Turn signals (Qty 2):
194 LED Bulb - 5 SMD LED Tower - Miniature Wedge Base - Green

High beam indicator (Qty 1):
194 LED Bulb - 5 SMD LED Tower - Miniature Wedge Base - Cool White

Dash Pad (Qty 1):
DE3175 LED Light Bulb - (4) 3mm LED Festoon Bulb - 3022 Base - 30mm - Cool White

From Amazon:

Heater Knob (Qty 1):
LED 27mm Festoon Light Bulb (comes in Cool White)

Another Option for the Dash Pad Bulb and the Heater Control Knob Bulb:

Dash Pad

Heater Control Knob
Thanks for all the great recon GA Arch and Rock Slide!
When replacing the blinker (green) dash bulbs do the leds work ok without changing to digital flasher? I have not changed flasher yet. Still running incandescent at my turn indicator lights (exterior) and I know those require new flasher. Thanks!

Thanks for all the great recon GA Arch and Rock Slide!
When replacing the blinker (green) dash bulbs do the leds work ok without changing to digital flasher? I have not changed flasher yet. Still running incandescent at my turn indicator lights (exterior) and I know those require new flasher. Thanks!
I have yet to swap out my flasher relay and my dash cluster leds work great. No issues what so ever. I’m also running incandescents on the exterior turn signals front and rear.

Used those 194-whp6 bulbs for my cluster and the change isn’t nearly as dramatic. The cluster is only a tad brighter. The LED bulbs in the turn signal indicators are crazy bright, however.

Any clue what would make my cluster readable at night? I hear that removing the shields around the bulb will do the trick, but the passenger can see a bit of glare. Did you dudes with the shiny clusters remove those light shields?

Used those 194-whp6 bulbs for my cluster and the change isn’t nearly as dramatic. The cluster is only a tad brighter. The LED bulbs in the turn signal indicators are crazy bright, however.

Any clue what would make my cluster readable at night? I hear that removing the shields around the bulb will do the trick, but the passenger can see a bit of glare. Did you dudes with the shiny clusters remove those light shields?
I followed post #40 specs and had great results. I would not take out shields if you can help it.

737B042D-4E32-4530-9254-466EF9D8E7CE.jpeg

Same bulbs and mine isn’t even remotely that good. Maybe I’m not getting enough voltage.

Also, I accidentally ordered 3 of the white bulbs for the indicators and high beam. The indicators are now too bright. Do you find the green bulbs less blinding?

Honestly you do not want to remove the shield if you can avoid it. What I found is the light can be annoying to the passenger if it is removed. I have painted the shield area white in hopes that the light will reflect out to the cluster. I have also drilled the top portion of the shield. Installing brighter incandescent lamps helped. This was all before LEDs were a thing. If you can avoid modifying it, using brighter LEDs are the best option in my opinion.

Last edited:
Honestly you do not want to remove the the shield if you can avoid it. What I found is he light can be annoying to the passenger if it removed. I have painted the white in hopes that the light wight will reflect out to the cluster. I have also drilled the top portion. Installing brighter incandescent lamps helped. This is all before LED were a thing. If you can avoid modifying it brighter LEDs are the best option in my opinion.

this comes in handy for those may regret TOYOTA's annoying light shades ?

Rheostat Dimmer LIGHTS switch :

84112-60010

84112-60011

84112-60012

84112-60030

DSCN9929.JPG
DSCN9941.JPG
DSCN9943.JPG
Headlight-Switch-Toyota-FJ40-FJ45-84112-60011-a.jpg
Headlight-Switch-Toyota-FJ40-FJ45-84112-60011-d.jpg
led switch #3 .JPG
led switch #4 .JPG
led switch #7 .JPG
led switch #8.JPG

Same bulbs and mine isn’t even remotely that good. Maybe I’m not getting enough voltage.

Also, I accidentally ordered 3 of the white bulbs for the indicators and high beam. The indicators are now too bright. Do you find the green bulbs less blinding?
I did the green turn signal and really like it. Bright but not blinging.

This is dumb, but I wasn’t careful when I installed the main cluster LEDs and the signal LEDs. I mixed them up. This is sorta why the light coming from the signal indicators seemed a little excessive. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom