FJ40 Clogged fuel tank pickup tube (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
fj40bugcatcher.dyndns.org
Discovered by fuel tank pickup tube is clogged today and I'm trying to get an idea on what the end in the tank looks like, so I don't damage it? Any thoughts? I can get a good sized wire about 6 inches in then it stops.

I just added 5 gallons of gas, so I know it's not empty.

Robert

Do you have a compressor? Is it rust? You might need to pull the tank and clean it out. If you jam a wire down the tube it might get stuck when trying to pull it out.

Do you have a compressor? Is it rust? You might need to pull the tank and clean it out. If you jam a wire down the tube it might get stuck when trying to pull it out.
Not really sure at this point. I always keep a few gallons in the tank. I also use a fuel stabilizer as it sits awhile between uses. I probably had it started about a month ago with no problems.

Robert

I think I've seen diagrams on how the line runs inside of the tanks on this site. I think it's just an open tube.
Can you pull the sender and look inside the tank with a flashlight. Can you cut open the filter without catching on fire and see what kind of debris it has caught? It might tell ya what your dealing with.

I think I've seen diagrams on how the line runs inside of the tanks on this site. I think it's just an open tube.
Can you pull the sender and look inside the tank with a flashlight. Can you cut open the filter without catching on fire and see what kind of debris it has caught? It might tell ya what your dealing with.
I don't think you can get to the pickup tube from the server unit because of the tank baffles.

What filter are you referring to?

Fuel sender is on top of the tank and the fuel inlet from the fuel pump is on the driver's side.

Robert

Screenshot_20230625_203029_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

What do you mean by blowing 80 psi in the inlet? Did you force air back thru the clogged line? If you blew 80psi back thru the clogged line and it didnt clear, I'd be curious of what the inside of the tank looks like, or what's been passing thru the fuel filter, considering a stk pump supplies only 4 to 6 psi to the carb.

What do you mean by blowing 80 psi in the inlet? Did you force air back thru the clogged line? If you blew 80psi back thru the clogged line and it didnt clear, I'd be curious of what the inside of the tank looks like, or what's been passing thru the fuel filter, considering a stk pump supplies only 4 to 6 psi to the carb.
The lines aren't clogged, but the fuel outlet (typo, said inlet earlier) is. No fuel is flowing from the fuel tank to the fuel pump. The older FJ40s are gravity fed to the fuel pump. I've even pulled off the fuel line at the tank and no fuel came out.

I haven't inspected the tank in 15 years, but I had the tank professionally cleaned and sealed the tank with POR-15.

Try pushing weed trimmer line thru the tube. I bet your coating failed and has a big piece blocking it. If storing I try to keep tank full as less air in tank to get exposed to air and moisture and add stabilizer.

The lines aren't clogged, but the fuel outlet (typo, said inlet earlier) is. No fuel is flowing from the fuel tank to the fuel pump. The older FJ40s are gravity fed to the fuel pump. I've even pulled off the fuel line at the tank and no fuel came out.

I haven't inspected the tank in 15 years, but I had the tank professionally cleaned and sealed the tank with POR-15.

what do you mean by gravity fed ?

the pump sucks and pushes gas right ?

a aftermarket cheezy gas cap NOT vented can cause this too ...

see bwlow ....

HELL it's even a TOYOTA ! 💥 😆

the @Cruiser Cult folks have a Excellent mechanical Fuel pumps Tutorial break down too .....:)

I had the same issue with a bunch of debris in a new to me tank. I stalled on the side of the road the first couple of test drives. I was able to blow compressed air into the tank to clear the blockage and resume my test runs. Over the first couple of months of driving, I kept a pressurized air tank with me. If I stalled, I could pull the line at the fuel filter, blow air into the tank, hook the line back up, and keep driving. I also kept a couple of spare fuel filters with me. I installed a filter before the fuel pump and one before the carb, just in case. You can see some of the chunks of debris that I was dealing with below.
1687782265426.png

what do you mean by gravity fed ?

the pump sucks and pushes gas right ?

a aftermarket cheezy gas cap NOT vented can cause this too ...

see bwlow ....

HELL it's even a TOYOTA ! 💥 😆

Hey Matt,

Nice to hear from you again. Yes, of course the fuel pump pushes and sucks fuel. My point was that with the unclogged fuel line disconnected at the fuel pump, that fuel should be flowing out the fuel line.

Robert

I’d remove the tank. Look into it with a light. See what your coating looks like. I’m not
a fan of coating inside of fuel tanks. But until you turn it upside down and drain all the crap
out you’re just guessing.

Hey Matt,

Nice to hear from you again. Yes, of course the fuel pump pushes and sucks fuel. My point was that with the unclogged fuel line disconnected at the fuel pump, that fuel should be flowing out the fuel line.

Robert
And according to you 80 psi doesn't clear it. As @cruiserpilot mentioned and others, you likely have issues inside the tank.

a FJ55 has this Issue , use Flexable Wire ....

ream it out and install the pre-filter as shown above ...

i really like the FJ60 2F clear-ish oem fuel filter i have doubled it up before that is some major filteratiuon there !

1687807166370.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom