Fj 60 buried in the mud (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, Anyone figured the amount of force a trailer hitch could withstand successfully to pull a cruiser out of the mud with both axles buried? No ball but a proper D ring shackle ? Would a shackle rated at 10,000 pounds with a 3/4 inch pin be enough? I’m thinking not but wanted to get opinions ? Mike

If it's a frame mounted hitch then I would say you should be fine. It helps if you either a: use a proper recovery strap which stretches to minimize the dynamic load or b: use something that can pull it out without having to get a running start (e.g. large tractor, dozer, tow truck, etc.).

Good luck btw, and post lots of pics!

Depends on how deep and stuck it is and what the mud is like.
If it’s stuck really bad, pretty much nothing is going to move it. The tires don’t roll over mud, you’ve got to pull the vehicle through it all. It’s like a wall.
I’ve never broken one of those 3/4” shackles, and I’ve stalled my 10K lbs winch several times pulling against them using a 3:1 pully system… so they’re pretty strong.

How much wood could a wood chuck.....ah nevermind. Depends on the tensile strength of the shackle and grade of hardware of your hitch. We talking Crosby or Amazon junk? What's the density and properties of the mud? Rusty c-channels? Might be a quick way to to remove them. "Up to the axles" on 28" tires or 37"s? Get my point?

I wouldn’t put anything on a ball.

Jack, boards, shovel, and put the driver to work getting the tires on something solid. Consistency, thickness, and slimyness of mud covers to wide of a spectrum for us to give any good advice on what's needed to extricate the 60.

Guy on mud will often make things a lot more complicated than they really are. That said, there is no simple single answer to your question. !0,000 lbs ain't that much pull. Lots of us have snapped 20K straps. Plenty of people have failed to extract with a 10K winch pulling. There are all sorts of mud, and a whole bunch of other factors affecting how hard the rig will be to pull out. Mpt to mention what sort of approach you take to it, what sort of recovery rig and equipment you are using and the skill and experience of those involved.

FWIW, I'd go heaver than 10K anything for any sort of stuck that is worth any real attention.

Mark...

I’ve pulled a jeepster out of a swamp 1/2 buried with my 1987 fj60 with a 10,000 lb Ramsey winch hooked to the jeeps frame but it was very slow going.Wasnt sure it was going to pull it but the Ramsey is a great winch.I didn’t even try just attaching to the bumper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom