Finally put 35's on the FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lrowe_csp

Too many cruisers, not enough time
Threads
This project has been in the build stage for years. Finished the SOA last summer and got sidetracked by the "need/obsession" to get an FZJ80. Just came back to this one to do some more work, and today I'm posting the photos with the 35 12.5 16 Goodyear MTR kevlars on MT Classic II 16x8 wheels. First photo is with 33 12.5 15 MTR's, second is with the 35 12.5 16 MTR Kevlars. Also widened the track in the rear with 1.5 " SpiderTrax spacers and it feels more stable on the road after a quick test drive. I have a set for the front as well, but am not certain I will mount them. Any concerns I should be aware of about just running the spacers on the rear?
fj40  EMU Rear Lift 001.jpg
Ih8mud classified 001.jpg

I think you need 37s.

The 33's were too small

Yes, those 33's were just too small. Here are a couple of shots of the engine bay and interior. I have since finished wiring the dual battery hookup (not shown on photo), and there is a split stick transfer shifter in the cab not shown here as well.
fj40 bellhousing pictures 009.jpg
IMG_0413.jpg
IMG_0435.jpg

This is one SICK 40. Those rear flares look awesome. I have to agree, a set of 37's would work well too.

Are those door hinges chrome or stainless?

Those look like the IPOR fender flares. I have them on my 40 as well. Can you tell me how you filled the gap between the bottom ends of the flares and the quarter panels. I have a small gap in mine where the quarter panel curves around the rear of the 40.

Nice looking 40. Tires make a huge difference!

Nick

Hi All:

Nice looking '40! :beer:

Be sure to install a full roll cage before going 'wheeling! :)

Chances are the SOA swap would work better if you used flatter leaf springs (the existing springs have a lot of arch.)

Regards,

Alan

What kind of seats are those?

Nice rig! The 35's look much better.

"where did you get the half doors from are they fiberglass? "

The half doors are fiberglass- came from Specter Off Road, part ##273-100, about $513 list, $440 CLUB Member price

"Do you have a close up of the instrument cluster. Those are unique looking gauges."

Gauges are from a set that BTB put together. They are dolphin brand, set into the machined faceplate that BTB also sells. Came with all of the adapters, including adjustable electronic speedo and sensor. Cannot remember the price, but recall it was very expensive for the set.

"What kind of seats are those?"
Generic reclining seats I picked up at 4Wheel Parts, Steel Horse brand, I think. Nice flat bottom panel made it easy to adapt my oem seat brackets and retain the front/rear adjustment.

"Those look like the IPOR fender flares. I have them on my 40 as well. Can you tell me how you filled the gap between the bottom ends of the flares and the quarter panels. I have a small gap in mine where the quarter panel curves around the rear of the 40."
See picture below. I will get the weld beads smoothed down next year after I install a metal tech cage, and then will pull it all apart and throw a thick protective coat of pain over everything (curretnly rattle can Krylon Khaki Beige)

Are those door hinges chrome or stainless?
Chrome- would love stainless, but these are great quality, no rust after 6 years.
Picture 008.jpg
Picture 009.jpg
Picture 010.jpg

Hey JGray:
All well up here. Hope the same for you. How's the 40 coming along? Would be great to see some more pics of your build...

sls019:
You asked how much do the fender flares stick out in the rear?

These IPOR fender flares stick out 3" on each side. They are also longer from front to rear than the usual gelcoat fender flares, so they are really excellent to give some more wheel relief and center the wheel in the opening when flipping springs and moving the axle back 3", as has been done on this 74 FJ40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom