Fair price in used 8274 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks like the newer sticker covered up the date code.

Yup, thats what I was thinking....but still worth buying for that price

Someone please forward deals like this to me. :cool:

Quick question, can the 8274 be loaded with synthetic rope/cable?

Yes 100%.....but you will need an aluminum fairlead that takes rope, not rollers for steel cable..

I bot mine for $225 but it wasnt working. Now have over $1k in it after refurb.

I bot mine for $225 but it wasnt working. Now have over $1k in it after refurb.

Still half the price of a new one.

So I ended up buying it sight unseen for $300. Had a friend of a friend pick it up who was headed home from mesquite, NV to Draper UT today. So, the sticker was definitely fake. The code to determine year built is FB6 with a metal socket. So June 76 model. The only thing that is strange is why would someone delete the original serial number? Should I be concerned?

975E27F7-6B97-4389-BF2B-813964EAD3D9.jpeg

Glad you got it. My understanding of the date code indicates this was made in June...in a year that ends in 6.

my WAG is ‘86, 2nd guess would be ‘96.

Last edited:
So I ended up buying it sight unseen for $300. Had a friend of a friend pick it up who was headed home from mesquite, NV to Draper UT today. So, the sticker was definitely fake. The code to determine year built is FB6 with a metal socket. So June 76 model.

Yep! Glad that you got it.

The only thing that is strange is why would someone delete the original serial number? Should I be concerned?

It wouldn't bother me; the internals are all the same, and all that matters. Makes you wonder if it was stolen at some point in its life - can't think of any legitimate reason to alter the serial number, but maybe I just have a suspicious mind.

Glad you got it. My understanding of the date code indicates this was made in June...in a year that ends is 6.

my WAG is ‘86, 2nd guess would be ‘96.

John, the old metal 4-pin controller socket makes it 1980 or earlier, so '76.

Yep! Glad that you got it.

It wouldn't bother me; the internals are all the same, and all that matters. Makes you wonder if it was stolen at some point in its life - can't think of any legitimate reason to alter the serial number, but maybe I just have a suspicious mind.
That’s exactly what I thought, it was stolen, refinished and they slapped a new sticker on it. For the price, I’m a happy camper.

John, the old metal 4-pin controller socket makes it 1980 or earlier, so '76.

@1911 Lee don’t want to mess up @JDNs78FJ40 thread but some more date code info might help other people also. On my 40 I purchased a used 8274 in about 2001. It has a 3 pin controller and has a date code that ends in 8. So based on your quote above it was prob made in‘88 or ‘98??? No way to tell for sure, but I’m going to guess ‘88. What do you think?

It was hardly used but now that I think back, it did not look new enough to have been ‘98. And to the OP of this thread...like @1911 said, age is not all that significant with these 8274’s. I’ve used mine on many long and hard pulls...many. I’ve replaced one solenoid over the years. I also have a 8274 on my 60 that I have upgraded the solenoids to an Albright contactor, you might want to consider doing this also. Much more reliable.

Last edited:
Tops I have paid for a used one is $700. Shipping is tough with cable.

@1911 Lee don’t want to mess up @JDNs78FJ40 thread but some more date code info might help other people also. On my 40 I purchased a used 8274 in about 2001. It has a 3 pin controller and has a date code that ends in 8. So based on your quote above it was prob made in‘88 or ‘98??? No way to tell for sure, but I’m going to guess ‘88. What do you think? It was hardly used but now that I think back, it did not look new enough to have been ‘98.

John, I'm no expert, but yeah you're right, there's no way I know of to tell the difference between an '88 and a '98. I would bet they sold more of these in the 80's than the 90's, since there were many more choices in winches by the 90's, so '88 would be a good guess.

And to the OP of this thread...like @1911 said, age is not all that significant with these 8274’s. I’ve used mine on many long and hard pulls...many. I’ve replaced one solenoid over the years. I also have a 8274 on my 60 that I have upgraded the solenoids to an Albright controller. You might want to consider doing this also. Much more reliable.

I agree; replacing the four solenoids with a single contactor was a good move for me also.

Also for the OP, replacing the original 2.5 hp motor with a 6 hp Warn 9.5XP motor will really wake it up and make it a powerhouse winch.

John, I'm no expert, but yeah you're right, there's no way I know of to tell the difference between an '88 and a '98. I would bet they sold more of these in the 80's than the 90's, since there were many more choices in winches by the 90's, so '88 would be a good guess.

I agree; replacing the four solenoids with a single contactor was a good move for me also.

Also for the OP, replacing the original 2.5 hp motor with a 6 hp Warn 9.5XP motor will really wake it up and make it a powerhouse winch.
I’ve got a lead on 2 other 8274’s in the mid to high 5’s. I’m going to look at both of them and might buy them and keep the best of the 3. Great, another rabbit hole to go down on this project:)

What is so good about the 8274-50? Aside from the 50th anniversary, it seems to still have solenoids and a 8000 pound rating...

^^^
For $70 you can add a Albright to a used/rebuilt 8274 and now you’ve got a very good (some would argue the best) winch for cheap.

Last edited:
What is so good about the 8274-50? Aside from the 50th anniversary, it seems to still have solenoids and a 8000 pound rating...

Nothing particularly better than a regular old 8274, except they're not as old. I would never pay what they're asking for a new one, when you can get old ones for a fraction of the price and rebuild them.

Nothing particularly better than a regular old 8274, except they're not as old. I would never pay what they're asking for a new one, when you can get old ones for a fraction of the price and rebuild them.

A rebuild (if done right) can turn out very nice. Some good examples in this thread:

A rebuild (if done right) can turn out very nice. Some good examples in this thread:

Flint, so I started dismantling this one and there was some serious rust on one of these and of course it cracked:-(. Do you know if they sale these pieces?

D9D8D525-30E3-4A3E-8DA5-5C451B670FA5.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom