Fair price in used 8274 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i've been looking for a few years to find one with in a 2-3 hour drive, ended up dropping $900 on a rebuilt one new solenoids and break, controls, tried to get him down to the 700 range, but he wouldn't budge.
I’m trying for that same thing. One close enough that I can pick up.

$550-650+ is the street price for an older/nice one in Colorado, but they turn up rarely.

So, @Varty Yo , how good of a price are you willing to let one off the shelf go?

If your in Salt Lake, watch KSL classifieds. They vary in price, but reasonably priced(<$600) units come up from time to time.
Another thought is watch for an older truck that needs some work. They crop up from time to time. Strip the winch off and dump the truck. I did this and it’s the only fiscally responsible choice I’ve ever made regarding the cruiser.

So I think I found the one. It’s missing the remote but I think I can find one of those pretty easy. Should be able to snag it for 250-300.

A24A816F-5134-4179-BF8E-F74115B2988B.jpeg

D2875D25-8FB6-4B48-8E79-D62E6DD894E8.jpeg

74581643-32D7-45A3-9804-8471712A5179.jpeg

71270BD9-AE1C-41B7-BB39-EE334B1C7E34.jpeg

So I think I found the one. It’s missing the remote but I think I can find one of those pretty easy. Should be able to snag it for 250-300.

View attachment 2368431

View attachment 2368433

View attachment 2368434

View attachment 2368435

That controller plug (and the solenoid cover?) is the old 1980 and earlier metal type, though the winch is the later 50th-anniversary model, just FYI. Don't know how easy it will be to get one of the old 4-pin remote controls, but you can buy the correct later 5-pin socket and remote control new from Warn.

That controller plug (and the solenoid cover?) is the old 1980 and earlier metal type, though the winch is the later 50th-anniversary model, just FYI. Don't know how easy it will be to get one of the old 4-pin remote controls, but you can buy the correct later 5-pin socket and remote control new from Warn.
So would you say this is a hodge podge someone pieces together and avoid it? I’ve sourced another one for $575.

So would you say this is a hodge podge someone pieces together and avoid it? I’ve sourced another one for $575.

Maybe a little bit, but the gears and whatnot are the same from year to year, and that is a good price. Like @gnob says, you could afford to replace the solenoid cover with the plug and the remote control and still be ahead of the other one, if this one works otherwise.

I agree with those that are saying to buy this one. That’s a great price for a 8274-50, spend a bit for the controller etc and you’ve got a real workhorse.

I agree with those that are saying to buy this one. That’s a great price for a 8274-50, spend a bit for the controller etc and you’ve got a real workhorse.
I installed an almost new used 8274-50 on my '86 FJ60. Last year it got me up and over several obstacles on Imogene Pass after my 4WD went out :confused: - rain and sleet didn't help but I was very grateful for @Dirtydawg's 80-Series as an anchor. BTW, the 4WD fix was as simple as adding a thin washer behind the detent spring, surprised that was needed because I had installed the later, stiffer Toyota spring (see my Post #8 here: Transfer case front output shaft shift linkage). Yep, it's a workhorse for sure.

If you buy the one you’re talking about for that kind of $$, you should wear a mask when you pick it up. No, not for Covid...but at that price you could be arrested for ‘stealing’.👍🎯🆘🇺🇸

It looks like someone just put that wrong sticker/tag on it...looks like they painted case but looks like older 80's 8274...just thoughts

^^^
Interesting info. It does look to be painted. That in itself is not bad...but if someone stuck an inaccurate 8274-50 sticker on there, that would make me dig deeper.

They started making the 8274-50 in 1998 I believe. Tried to figure out the date code on this one but can’t match those numbers to a year. Maybe someone has more up to date info on date coding.

It looks like someone just put that wrong sticker/tag on it...looks like they painted case but looks like older 80's 8274...just thoughts

No, it's NOT a newer winch. It's a late 70's to early 80's vintage but looks to be in fairly decent shape. Probably working as is...but a good candidate for a rebuild. Don't know about the paint or where the sticker came from but it is an older winch....no one should be confused about that.

No, it's NOT a newer winch. It's a late 70's to early 80's vintage but looks to be in fairly decent shape. Probably working as is...but a good candidate for a rebuild. Don't know about the paint or where the sticker came from but it is an older winch....no one should be confused about that.
So definitely a buy at $300 is the consensus?

I would buy it. It looks to be in decent shape...and even if you do a full rebuild you will still be in for cheap.

There’re not at all difficult to rebuild...and @flintknapper has the all time best thread on just how to do it.

Tried to figure out the date code on this one but can’t match those numbers to a year. Maybe someone has more up to date info on date coding.

Looks like the newer sticker covered up the date code.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom