Transfer case front output shaft shift linkage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GMSilk_Fj60

SILVER Star
Threads
Greetings all,

I've searched the forum, read the FSM, and watched Georg's transfer case video. I haven'y gotten a really convincing answer/good view of how the front output shaft assembly goes together. I highlighted in yellow the area I'm talking about.

My questions is,
1.) what keeps the clutch in the 1/2 circle shift arm head?

Everything appears to be correct in my reassembly but the clutch (circle piece) keeps falling away from the shift arm when I disengage the 4wd. I haven't assembled any farther (like the high/low drive gear shafts) due to my uncertainty.

Any body want to help clear this up for me?

front output.jpg

Awesome. Thanks. I have a FSM and it made sense, but like to check function as often as I can which I guess you cant do until its all together. Really appreciate the help.

Turn the whole case so it's facing downward. Make a stand with 4x4 wood 2 to 3 ft long stacked like cribbing. Put the trans input shaft in the center. Using a plastic hammer gently tap the front bearing retainer in place. This should keep it from falling out. When the rear output shaft goes in...it will pin in place. The hole at the front of the output shaft goes over the small round center in the plastic clutch gear. Lastly the detent ball and spring installed from outside the case toward the end of the build will limit the movement and lets you feel if you are in gear or not.

Yep pin is on the fork and shaft.

The one thing that has amazed me in the rebuild so far is all the detail dedicated to the gears and gear shafts but the intermediate steps (front output shaft, area between transmission and transfer case, shift lever assembly) don't get as much love. Anytime something seems straightforward I get nervous. We'll call it confidence issues I guess. Thanks, all for the help.

BTW, Toyota did a replacement for the detent spring quite a while back (for the FJ62 with A440F automatic transmission, but applicable for all split transfer cases). The spring is stiffer so it does a better job in keeping 4WD engaged. Easy to replace if you haven't done so already. Here's the document:

Toyota Service Bulletin - Transfer Case.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom