F 135 engine popped a freeze plug on first drive after rebuild. Are the available from dealer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I contacted engine rebuilder this morning who said the machine shop installed freeze plugs. Bottom line is I paid him for the rebuild and he is responsible which he owned up to and said we’ll make it right. If we’re only changing one freeze plug, I would probably do it but since they all have to be changed, I don’t feel is my responsibility especially since I have put 0 miles on it. He is contacting machine shop and they will make a plan. We’ll see. I am thinking of replacing the one that has blown out at least so I can move it around depending on his timeline. Of course, it is the hardest one to get to.

The ones on the back are hardest to get to. If you have a header that makes it harder. Stock exhaust with a punch not to hard to seat that style of freeze plug.

Hopefully this isn’t too much noise, but info from ‘65 Engine Group parts book:

There’s one “expansion plug” in the head, part L in figure, part no. 90330-50018
IMG_1658.png

There are four of these in the block, parts V in figure, same part number 90330-50018.
IMG_1659.png

And one quick google search for 90330-50018

Last edited:
It's nice they will fix the issue. I hope they are fixing the oil plugs too if need, besides the water ones. You could just stuff something in the hole to plug it, then fill the system with water and don't put on the radiator cap - you could run the engine for a while without risk. Plastic bag with clay or rags inside would work.

I can pull the engine/tranny/transfer in 3 hrs by myself, about the same to put it all back in.

*** Update *** Machine shop looked at their bag of 50mm freeze plugs and they are all 1 15/16. They are paying my engine builder to come here, 3 hours one way, and replace freeze plugs. Trying to determine if easier to remove cab or pull engine. Paint just finished and all assembled. I assume remove all sheet metal from front and pull engine.
Going to be work but at least they owned up to it and going to make it right.

I know there are all kinds of freeze plug kits available. I want to have over kill when mechanic comes. Is it better to order a whole kit from SOR or by them separate at dealer?

Again THANKS to all for the help.

Is it better to order a whole kit from SOR or by them separate at dealer?
SOR is the last call call I make for parts. First I might try Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters, if they don't have a kit (I haven't checked) I bet they can make one.

Sorry this happened to you! Glad to hear they are working to make it right.

Sent this information to my engine builder as an FYI before he comes: I keep working on this removing parts trying to figure out how it is going to work. I thought about taking seats, fuel tank, trans hump cover out. Then we could possibly take out the trans and transfer and leave the engine where it is. I know engine does not have to come out to change clutch however when that is done most use a lift. There is only about 1” clearance the way it sits now between engine and firewall. I do have a hoist that I have used to lift up body mounted in my ceiling. I would need to completely remove the hardtop as my ceiling is only 8’ high. Also have never lifted one that is painted. Somehow it would have to be lifted exactly level, there is only 1” clearance between the cab and pickup bed. (The pickup bed is very heavy, took 4 young guys to lift it in place). Whatever method does not look like it is going to be easy.

Found it. When I removed seats and trans tunnel I can see the third (on back side of engine) freeze plug. Luckily it is above the bell housing. Looks to me like either dropping the engine down a little or removing body mounts and lifting body up a little it can be accessed.
We will see. Engine builder coming Thursday.

Image 1.jpeg

IMG_5030.jpeg

IMG_5028.jpeg

Can you see if the size of the plug is still legible? Maybe you got lucky and it's a metric plug?

Man that’s frustrating…

I’ve heard so many stories of machine shops doing stuff like this either by not knowing, not caring or being cheap.

I was rebuilding an engine I bought from a friend. Some of the machine work was done by a shop he used. My machine shop showed me all the shoddy work and how it was wrong.

He didn’t even charge me to redo the head as they had set it up all wrong and felt bad about all the crap work before. There were lots of things really wrong that he said would have caused the rebuild to not last long at all.

I honestly wouldn’t have know a lot of the things wrong until he showed me. He gave me a heck of a deal for all the work and basically let me hang out and show what to look for, what needs to be done and went off of the Toyota manual. Redoing the work was only $2-300 more in parts to have it done right.

I got lucky with my shop, but others have not been so lucky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom