F 135 engine popped a freeze plug on first drive after rebuild. Are the available from dealer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wadesters

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.cwcruisers.com
I need a freeze plug. My just rebuilt engine popped one loose on my first drive after rebuild. Not happy about it but I am told it happens. I know most all the parts suppliers have them but are they available from Dealer? Anyone have a part number if so? Thank you...

Location is below oil filter tank and left of oil sending unit.

IMG_4994.jpeg

IMG_4995.jpeg

IMG_5003.jpeg

If one was wrong there is a good chance they are all wrong - I'd be asking for a whole new set from the "rebuilder", and you might want to look at the other plugs all over the block and heads.

So the weakest fit failed first, if you just fix that one, then the next weakest one will fail - I'd be asking for anti-freeze too.

If the cam oil galley plug wasn't leaking I would leave it alone. It's the water why you should replace these. You do have water plugs on both the block and cylinder head on the back side.

Over forty years ago I have one pop out after a rebuild on my 68's F145. Popped out on the driver's side and landed on the frame. Was less than a quarter mile from home. After driving home and letting it down I installed it and seated it again with a punch. Never had an issue again. Wasn't looking to pull the drive train to double check and took a change. So far so good.

Location is below oil filter tank and left of oil sending unit.

View attachment 3587320

View attachment 3587321

View attachment 3587322
That there be a ‘Welch’ plug common to the F engines. There is a ‘step’ in the block so you cannot use a block heater (not available any longer) or a standard cup style freeze plug, or even a rubber repair plug. Welch plugs come in metric and standard (yours are 50 mm) and are available from E-Bay, Napa, and any of the suppliers that haunt this forum. To get her in there, you’ll need some ‘hammer’ room…. put mine in with a short 1/2” socket extension, lined it up in the hole and punch down the center to expand it. Google up Welch plug installation, there are numerous articles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom