Engine Harness Work Around (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Apparently, I am in need of the elusive and discontinued wiring harness for my 94LC. Long story short, I was informed from my mechanic the harness suffered significant and unrepairable rodent damage. Mind you I am not knowledgeable on mechanic work. Basically, I am on a knowledge hunt, to see if anyone knows of any work arounds or any other useful information that might get me started in the right direction. Anyone ever overcome this obstacle?

Originally, my mechanic called Toyota to get the part number in which they supplied him with the incorrect one (82111-60322) which was sourced/ordered and discovered to be the incorrect one. Looks like part number 82121-60341 is what I actually need, but low and behold discontinued.

When I was in the shop, I repaired quite a few damaged harnesses. Rodent, accident and pretty much anything that could damage wiring and connectors. The only time I saw something that was truly unrepairable was fire damage. I rarely had to replace a whole loom.
Sourcing connectors can be a pain but that's about it. Odds are your mechanic isn't comfortable doing wiring and he's not alone. Your biggest challenge is finding someone good.

When I was in the shop, I repaired quite a few damaged harnesses. Rodent, accident and pretty much anything that could damage wiring and connectors. The only time I saw something that was truly unrepairable was fire damage. I rarely had to replace a whole loom.
Sourcing connectors can be a pain but that's about it. Odds are your mechanic isn't comfortable doing wiring and he's not alone. Your biggest challenge is finding someone good.
And paying the hourly shop rate to repair and then troubleshoot wiring harness bugs could end up costing big bucks.

Get a used one from the classified section and repair any broken connectors on it with the hopefully good connectors from your original harness.

then troubleshoot wiring harness bugs could end up costing big bucks.
Yep.
This is why most wont touch something older. You get held responsible for "previously existing" issues.

My base cost was three hours labor and would go up from there. My initial estimate would need to include the apparent state of the vehicle.
Stereo and alarm companies were my nemesis

Thanks for the responses, I couldn’t imagine how daunting of a task it would be to rebuild one basically from scratch. I sent my mechanic a link for a used one he’s going to look into and see if it will work. He’s a super good dude and I know he’s doing me a favor by just taking on this task. The only silver lining is I still have it covered under comprehensive insurance and they are covering it. However, there are still limitations to that. I’m pretty disgusted in myself for letting it happen.

Thanks for the responses, I couldn’t imagine how daunting of a task it would be to rebuild one basically from scratch. I sent my mechanic a link for a used one he’s going to look into and see if it will work. He’s a super good dude and I know he’s doing me a favor by just taking on this task. The only silver lining is I still have it covered under comprehensive insurance and they are covering it. However, there are still limitations to that. I’m pretty disgusted in myself for letting it happen.

We rebuilt a 1991 engine wiring harness to new OEM and it was almost 51 man hours of labor.

Before we started, took the wiring harness book to a commercial graphics/printing company and had them enlarge the schematic to real size. Then we affixed it to a big 4x8 piece of ply wood, routed the old harness onto the enlarged schematic, and then built the new one next to the old one.

It was a **long and complicated** process.

We called those loom boards or wiring boards. I didn't have to use them because my stuff was more one off. I did help one of my local van conversion companies build them for their production looms.
So yea, 50 hrs for something like that is realistic.
My buddy worked at a custom street rod wiring shop. I was never the artist those guys were. Gawd was their work expensive.

Its nice that you may have found a used one. GL with the project. Wiring isn't that scary. I'm sure he will do a good job.

We rebuilt a 1991 engine wiring harness to new OEM and it was almost 51 man hours of labor.

Before we started, took the wiring harness book to a commercial graphics/printing company and had them enlarge the schematic to real size. Then we affixed it to a big 4x8 piece of ply wood, routed the old harness onto the enlarged schematic, and then built the new one next to the old one.

It was a **long and complicated** process.
🤯 wow, just the thought of that process is mind blowing to me.

We called those loom boards or wiring boards. I didn't have to use them because my stuff was more one off. I did help one of my local van conversion companies build them for their production looms.
So yea, 50 hrs for something like that is realistic.
My buddy worked at a custom street rod wiring shop. I was never the artist those guys were. Gawd was their work expensive.

Its nice that you may have found a used one. GL with the project. Wiring isn't that scary. I'm sure he will do a good job.
Yes, I am hoping this used one works out for the best!

What happened where comprehensive insurance will cover the repair, engine fire??

Did the mechanic find (open it up) where the damage was in the harness (near the EGR valve/pipe)??

Got photos you can post up of the damaged harness?

Check with @Deathvalleypaul and see if he has a used one. I think that's the way to go personally. I believe all the connectors are available OEM and aftermarket.

Good luck. I know there was a member here that was talking about rebuilding these and selling them. Sorry I don't remember his name but maybe some creative searching might dig it up.

I'm not 100% sure you can't make the newer harness work. You'd have to swap the ECM/TCM connectors and splice in the PAIR connector (unless it's gone already), at a minimum, and you'd have an extra CPS and DLC3 that you wouldn't use, but it'd be new wiring and much quicker than rebuilding the old one. I haven't looked at this for more than a minute, but it might be doable.

As of today, I only have harnesses for 95,96,97 and 91-92.
The 95-97 can be modified, I am told to replace a 93-94 but I cannot verify this. I know it has been done, but not known by who actually did the work. I suggest a couple things:
1) Contact Gineric on Mud, he may have one
2) Post a Wiring Loom "Wanted" on Mud

interesting. O2 sensor location and wiring is different as is Mass Flow v. AFM. I wonder if the section for the transmission back is early/late specific and uses same 2 connectors.

Hopefully someone that knows can chime in. This may save a few people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom