Engine Wiring Harness Information 8/1992-12/1994 FZJ80: 82121-60340/1/2 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OGBeno

23303-56040
GOLD Star
Threads
Hello all:

I’m lucky enough to be working on a cool project at the shop where we will be rehabilitating a OBD 1 1FZ-FE engine harness. As such, it seems there is some information useful to the community as I go through this process that might be worth passing along and sharing.

We’ll be disassembling an 82121-60342 engine wiring harness and reconstituting it using all OEM parts. This engine harness has been discontinued for a long time. I know of one NIB/NOS iteration owned by another well-known parts nerd for his own vehicle. Other than this person, I don’t know of another version of this harness new.

I’ll try to do the best I can to document everything for posterity mainly because I’m personally getting older and my patience for documenting things has gotten less and less disciplined. I kinda just do these things now and don’t put much thought in to them as they are kind of embodied in my mind at this point.

This harness is off of a June 1994 FZJ80.

IMG_9805.jpeg

IMG_9784.jpeg

Stats:

32 total connectors
1 diagnostic port assembly
1 combined ground sub-harness
4 connectors with no 5-digit number

The last point is important. 5-digit numbers on harness connectors correlate with ten-digit Toyota part numbers that assist in being able to order a bare connector as well as the correct splices needed to fix a connector/wire damaged section. The 5-digits correlate with the suffix of a 10-digit Toyota part number that starts with 90980-Xxxxx.

So, out of 32 connectors, 4 of them do not have numbers which means they are not sourceable from Toyota as a service part. Luckily, for this project, this is not an insurmountable issue— I can either find these connectors in the aftermarket if needed, reuse what I have, or do what Toyota says: find another male-female pair of connectors with the same (or more) cavities that fits the use—case scenario for the functional area of the vehicle one is working in. So, that’s a discrete way to get around a lack of service parts support from Toyota.

Most of these connectors are designed/manufactured by either Yazaki or Sumitumo. You can tell by the company logos on the connectors themselves:

Yazaki:

IMG_9833.jpeg

Sumitumo:

IMG_9834.png

One thing you will notice with Toyota wiring harnesses: the thing they connect to (say a sensor, etc) will be of the same company most of the time. So a Yazaki temperature sensor, for example, will have a connector made by Yazaki mating to it. The air flow meter (AFM), for example, on a 1994 FZJ80 is manufactured by Denso. The connector that mates to it will also be designed and manufactured by Denso:

IMG_9808.jpeg

IMG_9806.jpeg

So, first thing I’m going to do is post all of the connectors and their 5-digit suffix numbers. This will be the start.

90980-11235:

IMG_9789.jpeg

90980-11166:

IMG_9788.jpeg

90980-10737/11062: another instance of two different PNs for the same connector.

IMG_9787.jpeg

90980-11428:

IMG_9786.jpeg

90980-11179:

IMG_9785.jpeg

These are all of your “sourceable” connector part numbers. I haven’t check any availability yet in all honesty. I’m currently cataloging.

What a fantastic project. I do wish I had bought a spare harness when they were still available. I am not sure I have the patience to build one though, unless I had too.

What camera are you using, zooms in focus real closely.

Thanks for doing this!

If I would have known I could have loaned you the NOS harness I bought for my 94' before I installed it.

1703179239397.png

I'm glad I have three of these harnesses. I was able to scab together one good one, I have most of the ECU side connectors left over after splicing to the Haltech connectors

Curious how far you are going to go.
Connectors shells?
Contacts?
Seals?
Wires?
Sleeving/protection?
Formboards and start your own wire shop making obsolete Toyota bundles?

Suppose I could wait and all my questions will be answered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom