Builds Elma the red 60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@joebattle1 this rain is definitely not making me super thrilled. I think we are in a similar boat. I don't have a garage, so I have to work outside.

I am pretty sure my neighbors love hearing me clank on things at 1 am. But when its raining and cold its pretty miserable trying to work on the truck outside.

Nice job on the reinstall ( part deux)! Hope it works out for you this time around.

Thanks @hygge, I'm still working through some kinks... I'll explain below.

Good job man. My hats off to you.

Thanks @pv40. How's your head service coming along?

Update after a bit of driving...

Still have a small oil leak coming from the front of the pan so I'm going to redo the oil pan and gasket. I broke down and ordered a new pan. The old one fought so hard going back in, I'm guessing I mucked up the front half moon shaped gasket. Hopefully the next one goes in easier. That will be next week some time or when the parts get here.

The truck also ran hot on me one day. Turns out one of the brand new water hoses near the fire wall had a pin hole in it and was leaking. I've been keeping my eye on the gauges since putting it back together so I noticed it starting running warm pretty quick. At the gas station I noticed some coolant on the pavement while refueling so I limped it back home with the heat on blast to find the bad hose. Turns out it's from using my trusty hose clamps to put the hose back on. Lesson here... Avoid using these for install. Do it by hand. Dumb mistake on my part. I marred up the hose with the pliers and put a small hole in it right at the hose clamp. Slowly got bigger and bigger... So I got a new hose from Napa and fixed that.

Finally got to pick my little one up from school last week in the rig. She was pretty excited. Her and my wife love to make fun of me for always working on the truck and it never running. :flipoff2: So here's to my fam. Lol! But really... I have to thank them for their patience with my garage habits.

Here's where I'm at as of mileage. This pic is mostly for my reference here.

After a romp in the mud...

Driveway pose. It's still raining a lot so I haven't bothered with a wash yet. Today I just drove around the Oakland hills listening to the weather report on my CB Radio. Just Elma and I out for a stroll... I need to get to the snow but I'm still test driving... Making sure she's back to old faithful status.

Finally did one of the last steps in the A.C. Refresh, The dreaded Evaporator Valve replace. What a PITA! It actually went smoother than I thought. Mostly thanks to @hygge doing it last week and taking good pics. Thanks dude. 🔧👏 I had the whole thing out in an hour and back together in about 3. Would have gone in faster but I added the grab bar that I bought off a dude on the 60/62 FB page.

Take out the dash insert, (gotta buy that new Wits End insert one day) the door and remove the sensor cable nut on the right.

Remove these two A.C. hoses after you've safely discharged the system.
I think it's 17mm & 27mm wrench for the big hose and 14mm & 17mm for the small hose. I'll dbl check this.

I have to tuck my clunky FM/CB antenna splitter box (scene here) up into the dash as well as my satelight radio module (not scene here). I recently bought a new radio with no CD player. It's shallower by about 3" than a standard radio with CD Player so that gives you a bit more room to shove crap behind the radio.

Remove the lower foot vent and the black vent tube that's right behind the ash tray. You'll need a sidewinder screw driver to get these two screws off of the vent tube.

Remove the (4) bolts with a long screwdriver or 10mm ratchet with long extension. (2) left, (2) right. Remove the (2) 10mm nuts on the top of the box. Start wigglin it out...

Once it's out take it to the bench and take it apart. Long screw driver/screw gun is all you need. I used my air gun to blow out debris on the unit. Be careful not to bend up the vents. I went in and un bent any of the fins that were pushed in. Un did the old valve and put the new one in.

Be careful. This pic doesn't show me using the 14mm wrench on holding the valve end. It takes two wrenches to get it off.

New one on top.

Thread sealer... Cause why not...

Good job. Now put it all back in...

Onto the grab bar. @Chopperbobsmith stopped by as I was putting it all back together. So I was able to snap a few picks of us putting the 62 grab bar in.

Why did you replace your expansion valve. Were you having problems with your A/C not blowing cold enough?

Since I was replacing the condenser, compressor, and dryer, MUD resident AC Guru (Rex @1972FJ55) suggested I replace the Evap Valve as well. I ordered everything through him.

The last thing I need to do now is find a vintage air guy in my area to do an evap and refill of R12.

Since I was replacing the condenser, compressor, and dryer, MUD resident AC Guru (Rex @1972FJ55) suggested I replace the Evap Valve as well. I ordered everything through him.

The last thing I need to do now is find a vintage air guy in my area to do an evap and refill of R12.
Any A/C guy who knows his stuff can do it, finding the R-12 is the hard part $$$$. I am hoarding the 2.5 lbs. I have just in case I ever have to open up my system. Post up your results:cheers:.

I replaced my expansion valve as well as the other parts you mentioned. I bought my A/C parts from Rockauto.
The warranty on the compressor (which i did use after it failed a couple months into service) is not valid unless you replace the expansion valve and flush the system.

Rock Auto's compressor warranty:

When a compressor fails, it often floods the A/C system with debris. If certain parts (the orifice tube/expansion valve and drier/accumulator) are not replaced and a full system flush is not performed when installing a replacement compressor, even the best new compressor may not perform properly. For this reason, it is important to clear the system of debris and replace all of the parts that were compromised when the first compressor failed. Because improper installation leads to compressor damage, the warranty terms on A/C compressors are very specific and the warranty is valid only if these terms are followed.

General warranty terms for an A/C Compressor are the following:

In order to ensure that proper warranty credit is issued if needed, the compressor installation instructions must be adhered to. All compressor defects must show proof of purchase of an Orifice Tube/Expansion Valve, Drier, and Approved A/C System Flush, or a Work Order showing the purchase of these items and that the system was flushed using approved procedures.

For manufacturer specific warranty terms, please see the Warranties page.

Any A/C guy who knows his stuff can do it, finding the R-12 is the hard part $$$$. I am hoarding the 2.5 lbs. I have just in case I ever have to open up my system. Post up your results:cheers:.

$600 dollars for a evap/flush and refill with R12. I called 10 places and only two of them said they could do it. The cheapest any shop would do it for was $500. What I found out though is that there is a guy in the Bay Area with a van rig that goes around to the shops doing AC. He probably charges the shop $300 and they charge me $600. It was a tough pill to swallow but I did and now my AC blows ice cold with R12.

$600 dollars for a evap/flush and refill with R12. I called 10 places and only two of them said they could do it. The cheapest any shop would do it for was $500. What I found out though is that there is a guy in the Bay Area with a van rig that goes around to the shops doing AC. He probably charges the shop $300 and they charge me $600. It was a tough pill to swallow but I did and now my AC blows ice cold with R12.
I'm not quite there yet but I'll reach out to you to get the details on this. I got my 60 towards the end of summer last year and haven't had the need for A/C...yet.

Glad you got the results you wanted. That is the problem with these wonderful machines, they require you to swallow bad pills every once in a while, but worth it in the end:cheers:.

Yeah, I have spent a pretty penny on my AC over the last year and its not even working right now.

No, fun paying for this stuff, but nice cold air is awesome!!

Yeah, I have spent a pretty penny on my AC over the last year and its not even working right now.

No, fun paying for this stuff, but nice cold air is awesome!!

@hygge, Are you doing the 134 conversion or are you staying R12? After emailing with Rex and talking to a few mechanics, everyone steered me to stay with R12 if possible. One, cause it's colder, 2 cause because our compressors don't like 134 as they don't have the same amount of mineral oil. I'm not a pro so I have no comments on this but I choose R12 even know the $$$ was far more.

Awesome write up! I'm about to do just about everything you did in this build to my 60... Once the snow melts off of it. I can't wait to get started!!!

View attachment 1913521View attachment 1913524

The amount of snow the west is getting this winter is incredible. I went to Yosemite last weekend with my fam and the snow was awesome.

That rig of yours looks like a great starting point. Good luck and keep us in the loop.

Do the Flywheel cover gaskets do anything other than buffer the cover from metal on metal with the upper bellhousing, and maybe keep dust/water/mud, etc.. out?

Do the Flywheel cover gaskets do anything other than buffer the cover from metal on metal with the upper bellhousing, and maybe keep dust/water/mud, etc.. out?
You can buy a roll of closed foam weather stripping at any hardware store that will do the same job for way less money.:cheers:

Not much to report. Waiting on a new drain plug so I can do my oil pan again.

Sorta fixed my alternator bracket. It was good and bent around the ears from using the wrong size spacer/washer with my Mean Green Alternator. I seemed to get the orientation wrong when I put the alt back on and that bent the bracket a bit. This was causing the belt to run crooked and once it warmed up it would make this horrible belt howl noise. We heated it up until it was red hot and took a giant crescent wrench to it and bent it back.
50E33C68-458A-4629-99FB-556D154E9DE3.jpeg

Also got around to solving my “where am I going to put my Pioneer remote” problem. I found these sticky 3M magnets at work so I ordered some. I was gonna use Velcro but this is even better. It’s the little things...
4F885385-ED9E-42F9-8D48-7FA2C74543E3.jpeg

D01B3F39-75E4-4612-8274-9B10E66F7C55.jpeg

1F92E10A-318B-44E1-ACBE-0CF1DDB5AB01.jpeg

Now you can adjust everything like a mini touch pad. Saaaaweeeet. And it will stick on the side or anywhere on the Tuffy.

80E7505A-DCA3-46F5-A0DB-086EB3F8721E.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom