Builds Elma the red 60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Mud Folks,

I've been a member here for a little while now, been more of a reader and researcher than anything. Thank you to all here that contribute. I learn a ton from all of your hard work and love for your wagons. My love for vehicles is long and varied. I'm a fan of all machines foreign and domestic. Toyota as a brand has always appealed to me, as a business and a manufacturer. Read the book How Toyota Became #1 by David Magee. Here goes my Toyota journey. I'll throw a few pics of my starter vehicle up here which led me to my FJ60. Sorry if I break any forum etiquette here. I'm still learning! I have a lot of catching up to do on here so I will be adding in chunks.

My 1990 Toyota 4runner. Me and my buds ripped out the motor over xmas one year after I blew it up at Gorman off road park here in southern CA. We put a new Oregon Motor in it and ran it for about 2000 more miles. I sold it to my buds neighbor and he wrecked it into a pole. Great truck. RIP...

Here's the ol 60 when I bought her. This is like 8 years ago now I suppose. These wheels are terrible. I got this on an ebay auction sort of on accident. I didn't think my $3k bid would foster the win... I was wrong... So I guess I'm flying to Phoenix then, site unseen. Luckily I had a Sheriff buddy who lived in that area. He went down to look at the thing for me to make sure it was legit. He didn't drive it though. (I don't think he could drive a stick). He didn't say that but that's what I gathered from what he said. lol. What man in his right mind would tell another man he can't drive this sweet a$$ truck? Anyway... Here it is. Not bad for $3 grand right? 197k miles on the ticker if I remember correct. Absolutely no vehicle maintenance records. I'm overjoyed by this. The seller actually tried to back out of the deal on me right when I got there. I flew there from LA at the time. I was like hell no. I gotta drive home today. It drove like the worst pig ever. It was a scary ordeal for sure. But I was hooked! This thing was like a dream come true...

Some sort of Old Man Emu leaf under there and a big dumb shackle lift.

I was really worried that the smog had been removed since the truck wasn't in California. I felt extremely lucky when it was in fact all in tact. It was a mess but intact.

Some Idiot had the thing painted at "Cheap A$$ Paint Shop USA" and they clear coated a Dodge Dealership sticker on the back left, right in the bottom left corner of the upper tailgate. Super lame. I'm still in love though...

I think the very first thing I fixed was the clutch pedal cover. Oh Hell no, we are not going to be putting our foot on raw metal. A new rubber pad is in order. In come my first introduction to Marv at Spector Offroad Edit [RIP Marv].

The Purple tint is my favorite. It's still like this to this day. At some point I will strip and retint.

Last edited:
My browser froze in the middle of writing the first post. When I restored it asked me if I wanted to reopen last session, I said yes, but this time it renamed the tittle line to "!". WTF! Can I change that? I looked all over. Oh well. I'll keep posting for now...

So FIrst things first. Knuckle Job... Bam!

had to borrow a local Suzuki Motorcycle shops press for the bearings and races.

measuring...

this is a mess...

SOR Off Road aftermarket Thinga-ma-jobs. Not a fan at all of these things. First off my impact socket doesn't fit in the whole so I had to get the big grinder bit and bore the hole out to get my impact in there. That sucks. 2nd. I had to have the bolt thats welded on there to hold the shock re-welded as it's just to weak.

new shocks, new long links, same stupid big shackles

my buddies yard in the valley in LA where I used to work on her. She was to big for my LA garage on the west side.

These big dumb shackles i keep going on about not liking.

IMG_2587.jpg

Last edited:
Those old shoes gotta go. ...So then I was like "Slap, Domino MuthaTrucka!!!!" Mickey T's up in here. LT285 75R16 Mud Terrain. Tell me that doesn't look siiiiiick!!! Straight out of "Narco's"

Last edited:
My dash is cracked on the right side pretty bad. Can you replace the dash top piece? Anyone know of any pics of this? This is a pic of the radio when I got it. It's had two radios since. The radio location is compeltlley blown out from years of radios in and out and general wear and tear on the dash itself from the sun and age. Over the weekend I made a plug with 1/2" MDF to hold my radio. I'll show a pic of that with my CB install pics.

Last edited:
..it renamed the tittle line to "!". WTF! Can I change that?

Yes.
Go to your profile,
Click" on "information"
Click on "find all threads"
Click on it
Click on "thread tools"
Edit title

Or something like that. But yes it can be done. Just explore a bit. You'll find it.

Nice pics so far!

Yes.
Go to your profile,
Click" on "information"
Click on "find all threads"
Click on it
Click on "thread tools"
Edit title

Or something like that. But yes it can be done. Just explore a bit. You'll find it.

Nice pics so far!

Thanks. I tried that. The only option it gives me in thread tools is "Add Poll" i sent an email to the admin. If anyone else knows, by all means....

I swear I've seen that truck rolling around the SFV at one time. Hard to miss an orange FJ60!

New tail light lenses and rear brakes. Also getting ready for my new dope a$$ 6x9's. I'm kidding... But no really... I put some nice sounding 6x9's in along with some new front speakers and the first of a few new head units.

Last edited:
Nice truck and I wish I replaced the front rotors when I was there :bang: now I have to go back into there while not wanting to be there o_O
I see you have the good attitude towards pictures but I stopped putting 23 (minus smileys :hillbilly: ) into one post as the thread gets impossible to load on tablets, tv's and small memory stuff.

Nice truck and I wish I replaced the front rotors when I was there :bang: now I have to go back into there while not wanting to be there o_O
I see you have the good attitude towards pictures but I stopped putting 23 (minus smileys :hillbilly: ) into one post as the thread gets impossible to load on tablets, tv's and small memory stuff.

Yes, rotors were key in that move for me. Like I said... The thing was a pig when I bought it. Didn't want to stop or go. I'll keep, that in mine on the pics and post less of them.

Adjust your LSPV valve and you will gain a lot of braking force after a lift. If yours came with a LSPV valve. Every 60 series over here did, but I know some areas only got them on FJ62 cruiser.
Take a look, it is absolutely worth an adjustment! :)

Ok, So let's go wheelin! This is somewhere off Interstate 5 about 50 miles north of LA. Near Lake Hughes if I remember correct. A ton of fire roads up there to rip and run through. You can eventually land at Gorman SVRA from these roads. In fact, the first time I ever wheeled Gorman was by luck. I stumbled on the back side of it off some fire road. I would tell you the roads but my Garmin with all of my wheeling way points from the last 9 or so years was stolen last year out of my wife's car. She could not wrap her head around why I was so bummed out about the loss of such ancient (to her) technology. She was like "aren't you mad about the ipad?" Anyway... Take a look at these first pics of the LC offroad.

This is a totally different driving experience from my 4runner. Especially in the dirt. That was like driving a pre-runner through Baja. You could blast these roads at 55mph. This is like sitting on my couch. Gotta take everything way slower... Feels so big too. Definitely an adjustment.

[URL=http://s448.photobucket.com/user/joebattle77/media/Just%20bought%20the%20land%20cruiser/Knuckle%20Job%20Toyota%20Land%20Cruiser/Land%20Cruiser/Wheelin%20the%20Land%20Cruiser/IMG_0737.jpg.html]

IMG_0740.jpg
[/URL]

Any plans to swap out your shackles? Them being vertical ain't bringing you too much comfort :) if you can get your paws on some greasable OME or Man-A-Fre, etc. your ride will be more like a oversized couch...maybe more like an oversized couch

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom