Builds Electric TLC FJ-40 Build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You guys are screwing up a great tech thread. Take your debate to Chat.

Interesting. I was just wondering if anyone had done anything like this earlier today. From what I can figure out after doing some additional online research after reading through the various threads, the cost of the conversion appears to be around $10-$12K (about $6400 for the motors), by the time you add batteries, labor, and other components. Was wondering why you didn't go with the AC 51? Now the question becomes how to add heating and air conditioning? Power steering? Power brakes? Thus part of my overall cost estimate, which might be on the low side. Still beats buying a $50K+ vehicle. Still can't beat a FJ40. DMV lady loved my FJ when I was finally able to register it yesterday. She was funny. :)

Deal breaker? Not necessarily. I'd be more than willing to convert my 76 to all electric. Good for the environment and my guess is that gasoline and diesel driven vehicles will become severely penalized or outlawed altogether in the future. I'll leave it up to you to define what that future may be.

I was an environmental engineer with the US Forest Service. The stuff I saw would blow your mind.

Will be watching this thread closely to see how it all works out.

Thanks for tapping in to the thread Salmon Man:)..... The "crate" as we have designed it has optional abilities for accessories. But more importantly, It contains Dual Motors (Love Joy connector and Billet motor coupler), Dual Controllers, the Contactor Box (Think HV power panel/control panel), the BMS brains, a 6.6 kW on-board water cooled Level 2 Charger, a cooling system for the controllers, (this build) and Electric AC Compressor, 1000 watt DC converter (EV "Alternator" for 12v system), Billet Adapter plate, Motor Coupler, (and a clutch assembly). We used 3 AC-51's in the Ferrari project and it benefits from the higher RPM (@+1000)... but the AC-50s have more torque and pair well with the builds battery module. We put in electric power steering separately and also have an accessory shaft that could run off the motor if needed..... Then there is the HV wiring harness, battery enclosure, Battery side BMS, etc.... It will be relatively easy for the average shop guys to install...... but not an "economy" solution... at least not yet:).

4A5AE693-E8BA-4466-AE15-CFBB9BB13477.jpeg

Your guys debate has me thinking of song by Rush, “Red Barchetta!”

So will there be crate setups we could buy eventually? Would this only work with a manual trans? I have an auto 80 series @ 5800 lbs.

So will there be crate setups we could buy eventually? Would this only work with a manual trans? I have an auto 80 series @ 5800 lbs.

Technically yes..... Either current configuration could work as the base AC-50's provide close to 80 power specs. The H9's w 240HP/340ft/lbs would be nice:)...

Adjusted & re-engineered renderings came out nice. Build up is coming along.... some cool parts came in on Friday and the 3-D printer doing what good robots:rofl: do! - More coming shortly....
4F862EC7-099C-4CB6-8B85-6858EC358B73.jpg

IMG_0677.jpg

:popcorn:

I’ve not got 10k to spend on mine yet... but I’d sure like to one day :D

mrs surfpig sent me an article about your project a couple weeks ago.

:cool:

I want that set up so bad it makes my balls ache.

For Pete’s sake we don’t want a brothers balls to be hurting! Do these fotos help?
2A3730A9-9F3F-4C8F-8820-A4F3F9FA703B.jpeg
D1B2F089-83E7-49DB-A584-ABFAE5978CB5.jpeg
5ACE7631-00AD-40C6-9A97-7622B95227B4.jpeg

That is awesome! Great work!

Would you still be able to run the accessories from the front plate? (Ac, power steering and so on)

Are you still part (or working with) ev west ?

That is awesome! Great work!

Would you still be able to run the accessories from the front plate? (Ac, power steering and so on)

Are you still part (or working with) ev west ?

Lots of options. Electric or belt/Aux. Some Electric accessories are modular. We have an ac unit built into the “block” on this one. We could also run via an accessory shaft on the front end which is hidden currently by the “filter”. Power steering has been installed on this rig too. Electric.

And no, we are not associated and have been 2 years into a new business track providing builders and shops with turnkey conversion solutions. Well, and having some fun building marquee projects. :)

Last edited:
Man, unbelievable work! I'm glad it's not designed to be an one-off, but something that can be a cookie cutter formula. It'd be great if you can look into the 60 Series engine bay as well, since it too used the same 2F engine.

I assume you've built regen into the brake system? Also, I'm not seeing a brake booster yet. Will you have a vacuum pump to operate the booster?

Man, unbelievable work! I'm glad it's not designed to be an one-off, but something that can be a cookie cutter formula. It'd be great if you can look into the 60 Series engine bay as well, since it too used the same 2F engine.

I assume you've built regen into the brake system? Also, I'm not seeing a brake booster yet. Will you have a vacuum pump to operate the booster?

Thanks! We clearly have the 60 series in the sights:) E-Crate is modular and has options while the battery “module” will vary by model&range req. Our systems include fully programmable regen as well as electric vac for booster if not an electric booster. We aim to capitalize on OEM where feasible. Upgrades always possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom