Builds Electric TLC FJ-40 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ElectricGT

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.electricgt.com
This is going to be a neat project :rofl: This 1970 FJ-40 is being converted to 100% electric drive. This thread will document the details of the build (also linked to here via ElectricGT). The new power plant will be Twin HPEVS AC-50 electric motors. The twins will be assembled end-to-end "in-line" and will be coupled to the OEM transmission and shiftable with the original "three-on-the-tree" column shifter. Target power supply & installation is 42 kWhr of Tesla modules. Twin-motors will deliver a base of 182 horsepower (wired 30s 124v on 650 amps) and 240 ft/lbs of torque (adjustable to @200HP & 300 ft/lbs) at ZERO RPMs. (OEM specs 125Hp/210 ft/lbs). Sure to be a sneaky 4x4.

Stay tuned....

IMG_7770.jpg

Ok. You sure got my attention!!
Looking forward to this build!

Subscribed and highly interested. I wish you are converting a '73 or later, because it's hard to put electric power steering on an earlier car with single piece steering column.

Subscribed and highly interested. I wish you are converting a '73 or later, because it's hard to put electric power steering on an earlier car with single piece steering column.

It really would be easier on a post ‘72.... but we just completed the electric power steering install/conversion on the ‘70 last week..... The build is off to a proper start. Conversion pics pending next post.

... and will be coupled to the OEM transmission and shiftable with the original "three-on-the-tree" column shifter

I've always wondered how this works compared to a direct drive or single reduction gearbox. What's the RPM range of the electric motors? How do you determine when to shift? just mph?

EDD768CF-DE17-4057-A356-B6316B46AAE0.png
I suppose one could pick a gear for off road, town or highway and just go - does cruising rpm really matter for electric?

This is going to be a neat project :rofl: This 1970 FJ-40 is being converted to 100% electric drive. This thread will document the details of the build (also linked to here via ElectricGT). The new power plant will be Twin HPEVS AC-50 electric motors. The twins will be assembled end-to-end "in-line" and will be coupled to the OEM transmission and shiftable with the original "three-on-the-tree" column shifter. Target power supply & installation is 42 kWhr of Tesla modules. Twin-motors will deliver a base of 182 horsepower (wired 30s 124v on 650 amps) and 240 ft/lbs of torque (adjustable to @200HP & 300 ft/lbs) at ZERO RPMs. (OEM specs 125Hp/210 ft/lbs). Sure to be a sneaky 4x4.

Stay tuned....

View attachment 1626043
Fan of electric power for many years. Been driving my converted car going on 18 years now. Are you signed up on DIY electric car forum?
You can get some good info there.
Hope to see more of this build either here of on DIY forum.
It won't work until you flip your bezel.
Maybe the bezel should be that way because it will be AC power.

Just looked at your web page.. Maybe DIY should subscribe to you instead.

Last edited:
RPM is an ICE car concept...Curious why the 3 speed is needed at all. Can't wait for more info, such as where will the batteries be located and what's the targeted range.
I am running a series wound DC motor. Unlike an ICE higher rpm is not more power.

As the rpm goes up the power curve levels off. When I want to pass someone I shift up to a higher gear to lower the rpm and gain more torque.

I am pretty sure the AC motor works the same.

Remember, Horse power is how fast you are going when you hit the wall. Torque is how far you can move the wall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom