Electric hoist mounted to channel for lifting engines? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What electric hoist?
It's an SDT 2200 lbs hoist. Here's the invoice he sent me from when he bought it a couple years ago. It just sat in the garage and he never opened it.

1652409632381.png

@baktasht great call on backing away from this idea. That was definitely going to be an accident waiting to happen. You probably could have just rented a picker to get the engine pulled.

@baktasht great call on backing away from this idea. That was definitely going to be an accident waiting to happen. You probably could have just rented a picker to get the engine pulled.
Very true. I have enough projects all the time where I'll use it again. Figured a purchase was more worthwhile.

Did a quick video on the Harbor Freight 2 ton engine hoist aka cherry picker. It is not perfect, but will work fine for what I need. A couple of flaws here and there. And it measured out just right so that I can lift the engine out from the side of the truck. At least the short block. Not sure if it has enough lift height to get the entire long block out in one piece, but I'll do some measuring when I put it to work to find out.

-

Very neat setup! I love all the pulley action to get it to work with a single winch.

Swivelling pulleys would have made life a lot easier, but I didn't have access to them at the time and (as is tradition) wanted everything "finished yesterday."

Before you freak out, I’ll tell you that I have attic access above my garage and each anchor for the unistrut is mounted to a 4”x4”x6’ fence post laying across 3 ceiling joists with a length of 5/8 all thread passing through it and a metal plate secured with nylock nuts to spread out the load.

Before you freak out, I’ll tell you that I have attic access above my garage and each anchor for the unistrut is mounted to a 4”x4”x6’ fence post laying across 3 ceiling joists with a length of 5/8 all thread passing through it and a metal plate secured with nylock nuts to spread out the load.
Nice!! If I had attic access above mine I would have given it a go with additional bracing. Love your setup!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom